• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing Pattern Details on Manufactured Saddles

bj139

I didn't see any photos of how commercial saddle manufacturers sew their saddles. Assuming they know best how to sew them I thought I would start a thread showing examples. Here is a Trophyline saddle (ignore the gray stitches on the second photo. I was practicing) and an Aero Evolution saddle. I see evidence of extensive cross stitching and a dearth of special patterns such as W or Box-x. Sure, they throw in a few here or there but mostly cross stitching. The cross stitching also seems to be heavier thread, I assume for ultimate strength. Post photos of other manufactured saddle details if you have them.

Last edited:
I didn't see any photos of how commercial saddle manufacturers sew their saddles. Assuming they know best how to sew them I thought I would start a thread showing examples. Here is a Trophyline saddle and an Aero Evolution saddle. I see evidence of extensive cross stitching and a dearth of special patterns such as W or Box-x. Sure, they throw in a few here or there but mostly cross stitching. Post photos of other manufactured saddle details if you have them.

There really is a big difference in stitching quality. I like the phantom and H2 but the stitching quality is not as good as the recon or the new tribes or even the trophy line by your pictures . In comparison they look poor. I really have no clue about sewing though.
Some one put up a couple of the other brands too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
b05d49e425739942658f342d409e8230.jpg

This is an H2. Nice sewing but crooked and has an unprofessional look

Last edited:
Let’s see a Cruzer or I think it is called a Mathew Tompkins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TL has been through extensive testing at 3rd party facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TL has been through extensive testing at 3rd party facilities.

Good to hear! Tethrd is as well. Are there any others? Just because it has pretty stitching doesn’t mean it will pass a drop test....that is the more important thing.

When the stitches look nice and tensioned well, I think it means it is a good start. Then sewing correct stitch patterns like bar tacks and “w” in the critical areas is another good thing to have. Also using good strong quality thread too. Anything manufactured by a company or a diyer can break, human error. Inspection of equipment is important every time you use it.

When the stitches look nice and tensioned well, I think it means it is a good start. Then sewing correct stitch patterns like bar tacks and “w” in the critical areas is another good thing to have. Also using good strong quality thread too. Anything manufactured by a company or a diyer can break, human error. Inspection of equipment is important every time you use it.
I agree 100%. If the correct thread and stitch pattern is use then stitches per inch and tension is absolutely crucial to strength. I believe this to be a must to have something perform like it should.

Some of the photos show minimal or even no stitchng straight across the strap as the TL and Aero saddles have. Is there really a correct stitch pattern or is enough total stitches strong enough?

Back