• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sharpening grizzly broadheads

Teddy9871

Anyone else have issue's getting a burr established? I'm not having a issue with the cutthroats I have but these grizzlies are beating me up.

I sharpened 1 on a stay sharp jig and started at 33 grit sandpaper and the other I sharpened I used a 200 diamond stone.....the 3rdnis in the broadhead test pack that's floating around and I never sharpened it

I sharpened 1 on a stay sharp jig and started at 33 grit sandpaper and the other I sharpened I used a 200 diamond stone.....the 3rdnis in the broadhead test pack that's floating around and I never sharpened it
You never sharpened that one? Wow. It seemed kind of sharp to me when you first sent it.

A file works great for initial grind snd to knock burr off. Follow with some different sandpaper in stages have always work for me with any broad head

Anyone else have issue's getting a burr established? I'm not having a issue with the cutthroats I have but these grizzlies are beating me up.
I had to go to a 30 degree angle on my sharpener guide before it started truly establishing a burr but once it did, they were scary sharp

You never sharpened that one? Wow. It seemed kind of sharp to me when you first sent it.
They are quite sharp right out of the box. You can maintain the edge with a strop or super fine sandpaper (like 2500 -3000 grit) so if he sent you a new one, it was probably really sharp

I have found the best way to sharpen them is to simply relocate them:

View attachment 51740
With all these "premium" broadheads with "premium" price tags I think the grizzlies are a very good choice for peeps more on a budget. I'm not the biggest fan of how they are designed/put together but I'll go on a limb and say they are still 100% better choice than a mechanical. Sure, there are better options but I wouldn't go so far to call them garbage.

With all these "premium" broadheads with "premium" price tags I think the grizzlies are a very good choice for peeps more on a budget. I'm not the biggest fan of how they are designed/put together but I'll go on a limb and say they are still 100% better choice than a mechanical. Sure, there are better options but I wouldn't go so far to call them garbage.
I agree 100% they have some 1piece forge steel ones at green acres if you don’t like the screw in aluminum ferrel. For the money they are some great broadheads

I agree 100% they have some 1piece forge steel ones at green acres if you don’t like the screw in aluminum ferrel. For the money they are some great broadheads
I'm good on broadheads but thanks for the heads up. I have the 200gr and it's all steel as far as I can tell...minus whatever that copper colored plate sandwiched in the middle is.
To be honest I haven't shot any animal other than a squirrel with mine but I have shot 1 extensively whenever I shoot broadheads in the back yard (pretty much all the time....once everything's tuned why shoot field points?) and it has had some hard hits into pressure treated 4x4 a couple times because of some sloppy shooting on my part. It's held up and still spins/flys. It will be in my quiver again this year

I'm good on broadheads but thanks for the heads up. I have the 200gr and it's all steel as far as I can tell...minus whatever that copper colored plate sandwiched in the middle is.
To be honest I haven't shot any animal other than a squirrel with mine but I have shot 1 extensively whenever I shoot broadheads in the back yard (pretty much all the time....once everything's tuned why shoot field points?) and it has had some hard hits into pressure treated 4x4 a couple times because of some sloppy shooting on my part. It's held up and still spins/flys. It will be in my quiver again this year
Yea that’s the ferrel (I think that’s what they call it) on my overkill’s I thought it was aluminum though not copper? Are you shooting the silver flames or overkill’s?

O
Maybe u thinking of a different grizzly than I am....View attachment 51741
Lol oh y’all are using grizzlies and I’m am thinking grizzly stik. I haven’t ever used original grizzlies because anytime I’ve seen them, they were glue ons like the Zwickies and I wasn’t a fan of glue ons …. Scratch my ideas about getting one from green acres then lol

Back