• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Single squirrel step on platform strap.

150plusB&C

Anybody put a single squirrel step on the platform strap on the backside of tree? So when you swing around the side you have a step . Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve thought of that but haven’t tried it yet. The strap is kind of high for it. I did get an ameristeps ROS that I’m going to use in conjunction with my platform. I sat with a ROS this AM without the platform and it was very comfortable. I find my ankles are always at an odd bend when sitting with a platform.
Next thing to try is what you suggest and put one in the platform strap. Maybe one on the back of the tree and one on each side. If I want to sit straddling the tree I can just move up on my tether. We’ll see.

I was gonna try screw in steps but haven’t yet. I’m trying to avoid them. If you had the squirrel steps on your platform strap you could always slide them off. I thought about the height difference but didn’t think it would be a problem. A single squirrel step is 25 bucks. Thought I would get some input from more experienced SHs before I drop anymore cash

I have a 5 squirrel step ROS on an OCB buckle I have been using. The OCB is getting awfully jiggly. I am afraid it’s going to let go. I was thinking about putting all 5 squirrel steps on my predator strap...lol

Could someone please try this and update and post pics? If it works I’ll need some steps

I use a single ameristep on the back side from my Predator. Do it, its awesome! I use it when swinging around both sides of the tree for a shot. Yeah the elevation is different, but I wear knee pads and rest a knee against the tree on the leg thats on the strap step. Very stable. I have found no downside.

I tried putting one on my predator platform a few minutes ago. I ran into a snag in that to get a step on the platform strap you need to remove the buckle. To remove the buckle you have to cut the end of it off where it is doing led over and sewn. It won’t go through the buckle that way. I suppose that’s there for a good reason.

I was in a pine tree the other night and I set my platform even with branches on either side of it. That was a sweet set. I had my feet on the branches more than the platform.

For the immediate future I’m going to carry both I’m and put up the ROS and if I find I miss it, I’ll add the platform back in. ROS consisting of 4 Ameristeps on a strap with OCB fits easily into a SYS Hauler.

I use a single ameristep on the back side from my Predator. Do it, its awesome! I use it when swinging around both sides of the tree for a shot. Yeah the elevation is different, but I wear knee pads and rest a knee against the tree on the leg thats on the strap step. Very stable. I have found no downside.

Did you have to cut the hem off the end of your predator strap to install the Ameristep?

I'm using Ameristeps on my platform strap. 2 on the side and one on the back.

e27cb629cab932d5177f4b6872798120.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was in a pine tree the other night and I set my platform even with branches on either side of it. That was a sweet set. I had my feet on the branches more than the platform.

I had my predator strap slip and started using a lone wolf one. You don’t have to cut the end off that strap to get the squirrel steps on.

Reactions: PJC
I have a 5 squirrel step ROS on an OCB buckle I have been using. The OCB is getting awfully jiggly. I am afraid it’s going to let go. I was thinking about putting all 5 squirrel steps on my predator strap...lol
Be very careful to make sure the buckle is on the other side of the tree from where you are tied into your tether. Earlier this year I accidentally kicked mine while practicing and the steps collapsed. Luckily I was only 5-6 ft off the ground and had my stick right there so I was able to get down. The buckle comes undone very easily especially if it's under heavy load. I put it 180deg from my platform so theres no chance of bumping it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had my predator strap slip and started using a lone wolf one. You don’t have to cut the end off that strap to get the squirrel steps on.

All my lol e wolf straps have the same hem on the end.

Anybody got a few they would part with? Just need squirrel steps. If so...hollar

Anybody got a few they would part with? Just need squirrel steps. If so...hollar

There were several guys selling their squirrel steps in the classifieds sober the weekend. Check them out.

Did you have to cut the hem off the end of your predator strap to install the Ameristep?

I use a LW strap on my Predator. Yes I cut the hem to get it threaded thru. I plan on hand sewing the tab back closed but haven't done it yet. The tab isn't structural to the strap just to keep it from slipping thru the buckle.

Reactions: PJC
Back