• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sketchy azz diy guy!

tailgunner

Now that we are not offended,I won't even consider your opinion if you don't fill tags with stuff you make.if that offends you I don't care.a decade ago It was all diy.igot the trophy line treesaddle.every one said that is sketchy.it got stolen and I started making my own stuff. isolated here in Oregon from other tree hunters my style evolved seperatly using straps for tethers.on the east coast clearly you used ropes.my first thought some one told every one to use arborist gear for hunting.and every this is my setup vid was the same.saddles just a different color . Not made to hunt.after almost a decade of using what I make.i dont listen to people saying to me do it the way everyone els does.we don't advance our sport by doing the same old things.someone has to go lighter faster farther.dont do what I do.but don't poopoo the small handful of people who push the bar developing the stuff you are going to be using 10 years from now.only on the enter net do so many people have an opinion on things they dont ,wont and can't do.i build my own hotrod I don't buy it.show me somthing different people think is sketch,but it works

Last edited:
That’s an interesting thought. Does one have to have killed something with their gear in order to comment or share it? Sometimes I would say this would be good because there are lot of people throwing out reviews on every little thing they can sell or get their hands on and there is not much confidence that the item has been through the paces. On the other hand, there are those that have enough overall experience to give high level opinions on similar or like items very quickly. I guess it takes some deliberation either way, a ‘take it with a grain of salt,’ mentality, when asking others for ideas or opinions on anything. We are all somewhat biased.

you know I'm joshin.i used that for 2 years I think its tied so it wont slip,and i have slipped.the 1 1/2 camstraps breaking strenghth is 2400 pounds,plus its doubled back dispersing the load between 2 anchor points.so only half the force is on the cam buckle.and the extra tail is then tied out of the way and acting as a second safety should that bruit of a cam fail.and slip. but i cant make one

Last edited:
But what is your opinion worth here
I feel like I have good opinions on gear from much testing and use. I have made several saddles and am an design engineer by trade so I feel confident to comment on the safety considerations with saddles and platforms from a strength integrity, and structural aspect. I will give thoughts on those things. I don’t know a dang thing about killing deers so I never comment on that unless I’m asking questions to the pros like @Gator or @Phopkins those fellas kill giants.

That said, I will comment on DIY gear despite not having killed from it. I don’t think gear makes the Hunter. I’ve changed my gear so many times and it has not don’t the slightest thing to make me a better hunter. It has increased or decreased my comfort, or patience and time in the woods.

I feel like I have good opinions on gear from much testing and use. I have made several saddles and am an design engineer by trade so I feel confident to comment on the safety considerations with saddles and platforms from a strength integrity, and structural aspect. I will give thoughts on those things. I don’t know a dang thing about killing deers so I never comment on that unless I’m asking questions to the pros like @Gator or @Phopkins those fellas kill giants.

That said, I will comment on DIY gear despite not having killed from it. I don’t think gear makes the Hunter. I’ve changed my gear so many times and it has not don’t the slightest thing to make me a better hunter. It has increased or decreased my comfort, or patience and time in the woods.
thank you for not showing up in a helcat you just bought telling me everything you know about it

Do you know the one thing I love about this forum is that when things turn sideways the maturity of these members can get it back on track quickly. There is another forum I’m on rarely post but they tear young guys and others apart when places like this should be places we all come together same common interest and have fun

Ok, I think I qualify. I'm sitting in a home sewn DIY saddle, standing on a modified EDP, climbing on either a chopped up Hawk Helium or a completely homemade one stick while hanging my bow and gear on a DIY'd gear hanger. Oh, and heaven forbid, I use a carabiner to girth hitch my rappel rope to the tree. I'm with ya' brother!

Honestly though, sketchy as I am, I've never been safer in my almost 50 years of hunting from trees.

Back