• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Slummin' it in a Kestrel

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I apologize in advance for inflicting this on ya'll, but a couple of folks asked questions and answering everybody would have required a powerful lot of typing.

Please note attempting to emulate the redneck in this video will void your saddle's warranty, possibly get you kilt, and make you look like a maroon at saddlepalooza.

I'm sure it raises more questions than it answers. If you suffer through it and have a question, I'm happy to try and help. I've had lots of folks on here help me, just trying to make sure the chain of love is unbroken. ;)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Was there any reason you wanted to switch to a bridge made out of webbing other than just to try it out? Were there any negatives to the amsteel bridge?

Was there any reason you wanted to switch to a bridge made out of webbing other than just to try it out? Were there any negatives to the amsteel bridge?
Yes, actually. With the amsteel bridge there was a "hump" that was catching when the bridge slid through the carabiner. (Edit: this was due to the buried ends of the splice) Nothing major, but it irked me. Webbing comes in more colors , and I had to order some for some other projects. Also, I didn't like the lock-stitching that was necessary.

I will point out that the mantis has two locked brummel splices, which I think I would like better. I'm not sold on the webbing, but I would strongly recommend folks use either amsteel or webbing over the stock ropes.

Last edited:
I don’t know if I could handle riding over those buried tag ends with amsteel.

The webbing seems to have more drag and makes for a different feeling when you rotate your hips. I’m not sure if it’s good or bad myself but it is different. I ran it all last year. It does pack better with webbing than rope though.

I think you should be on camera considerably more often. You’re a funny dude!

Kestrel looks great. I love the plastic buckle I used on mine to replace the isc buckle.

I don’t know if I could handle riding over those buried tag ends with amsteel.

The webbing seems to have more drag and makes for a different feeling when you rotate your hips. I’m not sure if it’s good or bad myself but it is different. I ran it all last year. It does pack better with webbing than rope though.
Yes, the webbing is more limp and shoves inside the pack better. Mine is smooth so it glides through a biner quite well. Theres a bit more drag than with amsteel, but less than with the stock bridge.

To the newbies, webbing is cheaper and it's easier to tie than splice (although both are crayon-eater simple).

@kyler1945, I'mma at least have to do one more to show that you can tie a wild edge stepp on pine trees! I plan on sending the footage to the mythbusters.

Last edited:
Yes, the webbing is more limp and shoves inside the pack better. Mine is smooth so it glides through a biner quite well. Theres a bit more drag than with amsteel, but less than with the stock bridge.

To the newbies, webbing is cheaper and it's easier to tie than splice (although both are crayon-eater simple).

@kyler1945, I'mma at least have to do one more to show that you can tie a wild edge stepp on pine trees! I plan on sending the footage to the mythbusters.
I find that I'm reading your posts in a cool redneck accent in my head now...gives it a good, authentic sound.

I find that I'm reading your posts in a cool redneck accent in my head now...gives it a good, authentic sound.
Lol. I gave up my dream of being a sensation at the coffee lounge's open-mic poetry slam after one night. I can write the King's English, I just don't speak it.

My standard comeback to colleagues who question my pronunciation is " I speak the vernacular of the people." ;)

Lol. I gave up my dream of being a sensation at the coffee lounge's open-mic poetry slam after one night. I can write the King's English, I just don't speak it.

My standard comeback to colleagues who question my pronunciation is " I speak the vernacular of the people." ;)
LOL...hahaha. Have you ever done stand-up comedy? You'd probably be awesome at it. You're pretty entertaining.

I like that response. I might start using it. People make fun of the way I talk all the time.

Let's get back on task here...this aint AT!

you ever worry about those super polymer zip ties breaking? I've had good success with paracord inside that plastic tubing too.

Let's get back on task here...this aint AT!

you ever worry about those super polymer zip ties breaking? I've had good success with paracord inside that plastic tubing too.
Paracord is actually what I started out with. I infinitely prefer zip ties though. You can see the way it runs through both rows of molle it stays open very well and makes a sizable loop to hit with a carabiner.

I want to say the ties are rated for about 40lbs according to the package. That is WAY more than I will ever put on them.

I know it's a simple little thing, but the first time I hunted with them it made my whole morning how well they worked. Those zip ties and that little loop of elastic on my strap are 100% perfect. Simple pleasures for simple minds I guess.

Yeh, they look nice, but is there an ultra mega super light version? Have you tried drilling holes in them without messing with structural integrity? Or are we at terminal lightness?

Real talk, that’s some Golden advice, and the the whole point. Simple things are often the ones that stay in your kit for years

Thank you. That was great!
I could feign humility, but:
125f40cb64a1aebe6fb78c091f02298f.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back