• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smallest 18kN or better carabiner?

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Ive been looking for a very short biner that is 18kN or better. Want to use as a bridge clip in. The smallest profile I have seen is just under 3.5 inches. Any suggestions? Open to other styles of clips. Lowest profile possible.

This is a smaller one I’ve looked at, they have twist gate and screw gate options. The screw gate is a little cheaper. This site is neat too, all arborist equipment.

I’ve been looking for the same thing for my one stick/rappel set up.

Sent from parts unknown

This is a smaller one I’ve looked at, they have twist gate and screw gate options. The screw gate is a little cheaper. This site is neat too, all arborist equipment.

I’ve been looking for the same thing for my one stick/rappel set up.

Sent from parts unknown
Thanks! This one is on top of the list as of now.

The Grivel Plume Twin Gate is tiny and light and is what I use.
I love the Grivel carabiners. Don't have to worry about it not locking once you get the rope, bridge in the carabiner. I use the grivel sigma.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I decided to take @Weldabeast suggestion, put my big boy pants on, and make a small soft shackle. Ill do a video on how to make one for anyone who is interested.
It makes sense. Im only using it for my bridge disconnect, and the only time I disconnect it is when im wearing it under my cold weather gear. Its not something I need to be able to disconnect quickly or often.

Well, theres plenty of video content on making a soft shackle. Instead of repeating whats already out there, I found this:

Opinion ... until arborist, search and rescue, climbers, etc, start using soft shackles, I'm staying away from them. There is zero reason not to use a locking carabiner. I guess you'll save some grams and green backs though. Be safe y'all.

Just something else to consider...
Will you be using them with a Ropeman, Kong, or other hardware? The cross-section, and the shape of some carabiners can be a little funky with certain ascenders.
And sometimes a carabiner with a flat cross section works better with the combination of the rope diameter and the ascender, than does a round cross section carabiner. Size does matter sometimes, and sometimes bigger is better and sometimes smaller is better. Shape matters, too.

I am thinking of using a soft shackle to attach my bridge to my fleece saddle. I will be using a RCS anyway so I'll survive if it fails.

Back