• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sold on the Saddle from WI

The Papa Files 7

Hey Guys,
Being sold 100% on the Saddle Hunting idea I'm ready to go and stumbled on this forum I live in SE Wisconsin and would love to connect with a local Saddle veteran to go over the do's and donuts :). Also hopefully learn and bounce ideas back an forth about what I should be working on to get ready for the coming bow season and what Mods are worth it and what ones are not. PM me perhaps we can connect and thank you for your help..
Here's my set up so far..
A. Waiting on my new Mantis saddle (ship date early August). Looking forward to trying it out..
B. Just got some Hawk Helium climbing sticks (will be doing the Rope mode on them) The buckles seem like they could be a hassle/ noise, pack ability etc.. Wondering why people shorten these up (is it just for pack ability, and weight)? seems like you could get higher if need be with the longer length?
C. Still trying to figure out what to do for a platform.. I've read a couple of threads about a platform from a saddle hunter named Ernie Powers(I think)?? Would love to figure out how to make one of these as I'm ready to drop the almost $200 bucks yet on the Predator platform.. I'm guessing I could build out the Ernie platform for much less (I hope).. If anyone can point me in a direction I'd be grateful.

Not to mention that it always seems more rewarding when you can build it yourself (ala Tim Taylor style)...

Here are some initial questions I had.
1. Am I understanding that once your tree strap is attached into your Bridge that's your only connection to the tree? Are there secondary or back up connections one can make and have them not interrupt your mobility/shoot ability etc.. I've done some rock climbing in the past and seem to remember having a back up of some type? Am I missing something here?
2. Is the Saddle comfortable enough to do an all day sit? I'd like to get some feedback on this as having never sat in one I'd like to hear about what your tips and advice would be for doing an all day sit.
Does the strap around your legs begin to dig in after a while? Does your back get stiff? What item is indispensable while doing an all sit?

My wife think I'm nuts for going this route but from what I can tell so far this is the most freeing way to hunt if you want to go light and hunt where the deer are not where the best trees are.. Sounds like saddle hunting is all about flexibility..

Would love to hear about your experiences...

Thank you and Saddle ON....

You'll spend about $150 building an Ernie platform.
Stick Mods are to make them light and packable. Make up the height difference by using an aider with the sticks. Light, packable, quiet.
Guys do all day sits. Some say it's more comfortable than most tree stands. I've not done one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey PJC,
thanks for the reply I checked on the sizes of an XOP seat casting 14 1/16 Long x 12 3/16 front to back. for $64 (2) six point brackets at $9.99
Not sure yet if I can use a solid piece of aluminum as the mounting point (this would make it more solid instead of a tube). A few feet of Amsteel or climbing rope and I'm off to the races...

I checked the size of the Predator plat forum at 12 x 14 (3.5 in thick when folded up) they both look pretty close in dims...

I need to confirm but it looks like the Predator uses a buckle/ratchet to secure it to the tree? I can't really tell.

I'm nuts about getting rid of anything that can make noise and think ropes are always quieter/ easier to use..

If there is any one out there using the Ernie Powers Special I'd like to get feedback on how quiet it is to set up using a climbing rope/ Amsteel?

I'll contact Therd about the use of buckles/ ratchets on the Predator but if anyone here knows what they use to connect to the tree please chime in...

I got the Versa Buttons (from Lone Wolf for my Hawk Helium sticks and am using the straps that came with them to make one aider that I can use to make up the gap.. Not sure if I'm ready to cut down the length of the sticks yet as part 2 of the Mod. But I also haven't walked through the woods with them yet either ;-)..

What are you using for a platform?

The Ernie platform works very well and connects to the tree nice and tight. The Tethrd Predator is lighter and easier to setup than the Ernie. I have used both extensively. The Predator connects with a cam buckle. No noise or ratchet straps.

Good luck and have fun!

Great info..
Does the Predator platform have the leveling adjusting screw on the bottom like the XOP seat from the Ernie platform?
I'm excited to get started should have the Mantis saddle in the next few weeks..
I did see where G2 Outdoors used a buckle to cam over the Ernie stand. I think I've also seen it used with the Amsteel Whoppie Sling..

I'm not sure which one I"ll go with the Whoopie sling or buckle..

Yeah this will be fun once I get all the gear together. Practice, Practice, practice...

Welcome to the site! I’ve been through a handful of platforms, the best I had so far was the klemz. It was just too small of a footprint for me to justify. I sold it to fund the predator & am just waiting on that. Also had an Ernie’s platform & didn’t love the application, that being said I’m 6’6” 250 & felt the side loading was sketchy. I’m sure if your smaller & not the same load on the platform it’s fine. I just found I’m more comfortable with a klemz style design where the platform teeth bite on the cam over & prefer a strap. My 2 cents

Welcome. I'm also from SE WI but don't have a lot of saddle experience. Still waiting for the Mantis, my first saddle. Tried a board (preachers seat) last year but didn't like it. I have been practicing with a diy sit drag rock climbing harness that I am really finding comfy though.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hey Bigterp.
When your talking about side loading were you pushing of directly on the side the platform? I was a little concerned about that myself I"m quite a bit smaller than you 5'11 and 190 so I'll have to wait and see..

Homebrew454,
I'm also waiting for my Mantis I do have the rest of my gear sorted out (Hawk Helium sticks, I'll be making an Ernie Platform). Soon as those babies show up its practice, practice, practice. .

Where approx are you in SE WI?

I"ll be curious to hear your view on the saddle vs. the climbing harness and sitdrag...As far as comfort and ease of use..

What do you use to get up the tree? what are you using for a platform?

Homebrew454,
I'm also waiting for my Mantis I do have the rest of my gear sorted out (Hawk Helium sticks, I'll be making an Ernie Platform). Soon as those babies show up its practice, practice, practice. .

Where approx are you in SE WI?

I"ll be curious to hear your view on the saddle vs. the climbing harness and sitdrag...As far as comfort and ease of use..

What do you use to get up the tree? what are you using for a platform?[/QUOTE]

I live in Slinger and will be using Wild edge (WE) steps for platform and climbing method. I will be using the Swaider/knaider method with the WE steps.

I may even try a 2-3 step climb with combo of the knaider/swaider similar to the 1 stick method. I'm just curious if it would be possible.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Welcome from Sportsman's Paradise! Check the classifieds there's plenty of people that have been putting their xop platforms up for sale. If I were you I would just buy the Predator platform. Just so you know Ernie and some of the other guys developed the Predator platform so we would have the ultimate saddlehunter platform. Made by saddlehunters for saddlehunters. I don't think you can go wrong with it. Even if you don't get one now as soon as the bug bites, you will have to have one just because. Might as well get it out of the way now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hey Homebrew 454,
I'm going to have to look up Swaider/knaider method (never heard of it, google time).. You got me thinking about the single climbing stick method I'll have to work on that once the Mantis arrives..

I was looking at the WE steps as well but got a great deal on the Hawks.. I already had all the items needed to Mod them so that won out..

Slinger is just down the road from me. Great area... Let me know your impressions once you get the Mantis.. I'm getting handy and broke out my industrial sowing machine to make some custom gear bags to hang on the Molly web.. Looking like mid Aug for saddle..

Thank YOu Denots,
Good to be here. I agree its better to have more than one. But with this new way to hunt my accountant (my wife) is starting to ask what all the packages are for? I'll work the XOP this season and re-evaluate from there.. I didn't see where the Predator has the leveling screw (like the XOP seat) Does it have that feature? I could see where something like that would be helpful. In case your stand is a little off kilter..

Also,
Looks like the Predator uses a buckle strap.. Where the Ernie XOP has the cam effect to squeeze it to the tree? I would think that caming is better than just a strap (for lateral stability).. Anyway its all theory for now I"m just a Newbie what do I know..
But I would love to see a good write up or video comparing the two.. As far as cost doing the XOP is about $30-40 less than the Predator.

I checked out the Classified and went about 2-3 pages but didn't see any XOP platform listings??

But good to be here this is going to be a very interesting hunting season with a new method.. Thank You...

Welcome from another WI hunter!

If you can try some different platforms you will find what works best for you. I prefer the platform over the ring of steps. I think if I did steps I would lean toward the wild edge steps but thats just me. Good luck this fall!

Back