• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Splicing Oplux

CZMark

SH Member
There was a thread a while back where splicing Oplux using Tachyon splicing instructions was discussed. At least 3 did it; myself, @boyne bowhunter , and @Jrybicki .

I was a bit nervous about it, feeling the bury might be too short, so I sent a couple samples off for testing. One was a 5" spliced eye sent to Treestuff, I am still waiting to hear from them. The other was a piece of Canyon Lux (Oplux with more color in the sheath) with tight eyes spliced in each end, sent to Knot & Rope.

Today I got a call from Knot & Rope telling me during testing, one eye broke at 3047 pounds (13.5 kn). He said it appeared the core slipped and suggested using a class II splice, which I also plan to have tested.

The rope is being returned to me and I will post pictures when I get it. In the meantime, I wanted to let you guys know what you are hanging from.

This is the rope before testing.
675f1d7476617e9d25b85ffc8e5ad119.jpg
d174ea27db12a4e6465c7181118f9d18.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Thanks for letting us know! I'm still a couple of months out in my planned budget before making the switch to oplux, but I also plan on making a couple of splices to test.

Thanks for letting us know! I'm still a couple of months out in my planned budget before making the switch to oplux, but I also plan on making a couple of splices to test.

Don't wait too long, I mailed my samples off 5/30/20 and first heard back today.

Don't wait too long, I mailed my samples off 5/30/20 and first heard back today.
Thanks for the update @CZMark I emailed knot & rope just before all this covid stuff about sending my rope to them for testing and have not heard back. Did you just call them to get all the information on where to send it and how they take the payment?

Last edited:
Has anyone sent in oplux with just some knots tied for a comparison or does anyone know of some prior test we could reference?

Has anyone sent in oplux with just some knots tied for a comparison or does anyone know of some prior test we could reference?
Well in theory we could compare against known percentage strength retention for common knots in the same application. For any situation where I would be splicing oplux I would probably be replacing either a figure eight on a bight (5 inch eye) or possibly a scaffold and/or poachers knot (tight eye).

Worst case scenario we're looking at 75% retention. Canyon lux is rated to 24.2 kN, so 75% of that puts us in the neighborhood of about 18 kN. That's a difference of 4.5 kN from the tight splice (coming in at a whopping 55% retention) or about roughly 1000 lbs of force weaker.

Considering that splices consistently see retention anywhere from 90-100% retention, this is sub-optimal.

Thanks for the update @CZMark I emailed knot & rope just before all this covid stuff about sending my rope to them for testing and have not heard back. Did you just call them to get all the information on where to send it and how they take the payment?

I went to their web site and did an online chat. When I spoke with John on the phone yesterday, he told me they have been crazy busy. Here is the info I have:

Knot & Rope Supply
1650 Waters Edge Drive
Pearysburg, OH 43551

They want an 8'-10' length of rope with eyes on each end. Cost is $35.00 per splice.

If I can find time, I want to send them a sample with a class II splice and one with the Tachyon splice using a longer bury. The class II splice will be no fun as the core must be pulled through the sheath in two places and the core gets buried into the core. I'm not sure how to deal with that yellow inner core while doing the bury. John at K & R suggested cutting the inner core short of the bury and doing a bare eye splice.

They want an 8'-10' length of rope with eyes on each end. Cost is $35.00 per splice.
Stupid questions..

1) the rope they test is ruined correct? It can no longer be used because their test destroys it?
2) at best case this is only an indication of actual, since each splice is not exactly the same?

So you are taking one for the team and paying for the rope sample, the splice and cost of the test? I know it was probably mostly for your own peace of mind, but thank you for doing all of that.

Stupid questions..

1) the rope they test is ruined correct? It can no longer be used because their test destroys it?
2) at best case this is only an indication of actual, since each splice is not exactly the same?

So you are taking one for the team and paying for the rope sample, the splice and cost of the test? I know it was probably mostly for your own peace of mind, but thank you for doing all of that.
To answer question one, yes the rope is destroyed in the process of testing depending on how/where it fails. Also because oplux was termed unsplicable a group of us tried various ways to splice it because it looks cleaner and is less bulky than a knot... and in theory is supposed to retain more of the ropes strength than a knot does. After finding a way to splice oplux we wanted to test it not only for our piece of mind but also so others know what they are getting into if they decide to follow our splicing instructions that were posted on the other thread that @CZMark mentioned. We figured if enough samples get tested we would have a good idea or ballpark of where that particular splice rates for the oplux and if its actually safe to use. I still need to send my sample in as they never got back with me after my original inquiry.

Stupid questions..

To answer question #2, yes, a single test proves very little. If I get a splice to hold over 5,000 pounds, I will likely have a few more tested before I actually trust it. I will not use the standard Tachyon splice method for Oplux again as I an confident the failed splice was done according to directions--I made that splice 8 or 9 times before the test splice.

Thanks. I am interested in the topic, so will keep an eye out. Whether or not I could manage to do my own splice, who knows. I've never even done the amsteel ones before, total newb.

There was a thread a while back where splicing Oplux using Tachyon splicing instructions was discussed. At least 3 did it; myself, @boyne bowhunter , and @Jrybicki .

I was a bit nervous about it, feeling the bury might be too short, so I sent a couple samples off for testing. One was a 5" spliced eye sent to Treestuff, I am still waiting to hear from them. The other was a piece of Canyon Lux (Oplux with more color in the sheath) with tight eyes spliced in each end, sent to Knot & Rope.

Today I got a call from Knot & Rope telling me during testing, one eye broke at 3047 pounds (13.5 kn). He said it appeared the core slipped and suggested using a class II splice, which I also plan to have tested.

The rope is being returned to me and I will post pictures when I get it. In the meantime, I wanted to let you guys know what you are hanging from.

This is the rope before testing.
675f1d7476617e9d25b85ffc8e5ad119.jpg
d174ea27db12a4e6465c7181118f9d18.jpg

This is great stuff, thanks for taking the time to get the detail posted.

Have you ever done testing to see when a 'cross loaded carabiner' (https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/examples-of-dangerous-carabiner-loading.2599/) would fail if used instead of the triangle quick link pictured?

Hope that makes sense.

This is great stuff, thanks for taking the time to get the detail posted.

Have you ever done testing to see when a 'cross loaded carabiner' (https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/examples-of-dangerous-carabiner-loading.2599/) would fail if used instead of the triangle quick link pictured?

Hope that makes sense.

No, unfortunately I do not have my own testing equipment, I have to pay- and wait- for others to test my stuff. However, most carabiners are rated and marked for cross-load strength, which is usually about the same as open-gate strength, around 7 or 8 kn (1573-1798#). While this may seem strong, you want a minimum of 23 kn (5170#) for climbing.

So... l did another Tachyon-type splice, this time doubling the length of the bury and shortening the taper. I almost hope this one fails because it was a nightmare to splice. The bury was at least twice as difficult to pull through and final milking was almost impossible. I still need to make a class II splice, whip stitch, and send off.

0674c9db8337f90b853222987d1e724b.jpg

BTW, if you are wondering why I am using Canyon Lux instead of Oplux, it is the same rope and I was able to get 100' of Canyon Lux for just over $1.00 per foot. Each test requires 10'- 11' of rope so I'm saving about $8.50 in rope cost per test.

Back