• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spur mod parts?

bowhuntr09

SH Member
I just ordered a set of Climb Rights from Bartletts (on sale and shipped in 20 minutes from time of order!) What are the suggested straps, buckles, etc to mod them.

You’ll need webbing for strap, plastic buckles, and camo form or stealth strips. Use the search feature and you’ll find a lot of info on spurs and how to mod them. That’s how I found everything I needed.

You’ll need webbing for strap, plastic buckles, and camo form or stealth strips. Use the search feature and you’ll find a lot of info on spurs and how to mod them. That’s how I found everything I needed.

Oh, I did search! Even found a post where @flinginairos had some cool pre-made straps for the bottom and I had them in my cart, but then @elk yinzer had a issue with his coming loose. Just trying to see if someone came up with the "standard" that seems to work and is safe.

Just recieved my climbrights. Also interested in nodding the straps. Flinginairos used the sea to summit straps for the foot straps.

Oh, I did search! Even found a post where @flinginairos had some cool pre-made straps for the bottom and I had them in my cart, but then @elk yinzer had a issue with his coming loose. Just trying to see if someone came up with the "standard" that seems to work and is safe.

I figured out if I moved the buckle so it wasn't touching my foot, I could get away with using the g hooks. I haven't touched my spurs since July though, I put them down for this season.

I’ve used my spikes several times now with the Sea to summit open hook straps and for me they are working perfect. Zero issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used my spikes several times now with the Sea to summit open hook straps and for me they are working perfect. Zero issues

Couldn't it be pretty catastrophic if that buckle just came loose halfway up a tree?

I tried the SS straps And they don’t hold for me. I tried paracord for the bottom strap, that sucks. I’m back to the original buckle straps that I silenced.

I ordered straps from strapworks.com last night. You can get them with the buckle already sewn on one side and you feed the tail end of the strap thru the other half of the buckle. I ordered 1" straps for the bottom of the spurs and a 2" strap for the top. The four straps with bucks cost me around $22.00. Look up side release buckle straps. They come in a bunch of different colors and sizes.

I used a standard 2” webbing buckle for the tops, and I used 550 paracord for the bottom. @Erniepower showed us the paracord trick at saddlepalooza last year. It is long enough to tightly wrap around my legs 3 times before being tied off. I have had zero issues with it coming undone.

I used a standard 2” webbing buckle for the tops, and I used 550 paracord for the bottom. @Erniepower showed us the paracord trick at saddlepalooza last year. It is long enough to tightly wrap around my legs 3 times before being tied off. I have had zero issues with it coming undone.

Help a guy out! How exactly do you do the ernie wrap?

Here you go
07cfa365984b5d60ca0972fd5db2fcbe.jpg
c44fe63f4e21256a68b62855d3f24381.jpg
81af0602f80c9cc03e1c1342327151a6.jpg
e7017031d90d0d74f386024ee91e897a.jpg
3ca04133d7890f08b540353b225647b8.jpg
c32477f2ee63e5f68b3c865e569e9dc6.jpg
411462f59dd17aafd707b3188c6f0f9c.jpg
399f1df6f8c46c3e5f0250ace546bea3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@Erniepower I appreciate the pictures! It's still really hard for me to see exactly whats going on there. Can you offer a little explanation? How many strands is that? Did you just run it through the ring and wrap around your ankle and tie?

For you guys that are using pads that do not have a preformed cup Be careful with your choice of buckle.The shank of the climber naturally wants to move toward the back of your calf and there is a good bit of pressure on the top strap.The preformed cup on lots of pads prevents this.The old t-pads or L-pads not so much.Buckle gives and there gonna roll off your leg.

@Erniepower I appreciate the pictures! It's still really hard for me to see exactly whats going on there. Can you offer a little explanation? How many strands is that? Did you just run it through the ring and wrap around your ankle and tie?
The rope is tied to the ring at the middle. Then I just wrap the ends in opposite directions, around my ankle/calf, until I run out of rope and then the a knot.

Another quick but really useful mod.

I like to sharpen my spikes to needle sharp.

That way I don't have to kick the tree, I just set my spike and add weight. Notice, I don't just sharpen the tip, I change the angle of the grind.

I am switching my pole spikes out for tree spikes. The tree spikes are new so I figured I would show the before and after. Also I figured I would show the tree spike vs the pole spike.

Now word to the wise, when your spikes are this, sharp, they are DANGEROUS and go through clothes boots feet, and legs very easily. About 15 years ago I buried one to the base in my leg. That was a mess.

Either way, I figured I would show the difference. Be careful out there.

be011af5f8734003fa889975e9fcd1ee.jpg
206d8152ca334cea93a380291b2360c5.jpg

Another quick but really useful mod.

I like to sharpen my spikes to needle sharp.

That way I don't have to kick the tree, I just set my spike and add weight. Notice, I don't just sharpen the tip, I change the angle of the grind.

I am switching my pole spikes out for tree spikes. The tree spikes are new so I figured I would show the before and after. Also I figured I would show the tree spike vs the pole spike.

Now word to the wise, when your spikes are this, sharp, they are DANGEROUS and go through clothes boots feet, and legs very easily. About 15 years ago I buried one to the base in my leg. That was a mess.

Either way, I figured I would show the difference. Be careful out there.

be011af5f8734003fa889975e9fcd1ee.jpg
206d8152ca334cea93a380291b2360c5.jpg

OUCH!!

Back