• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT- again

Missed mallards

I know it’s been gone over and yes I’ve worn the search out reading. Been YouTubing and such for a few months now.

But the options are seemingly endless as far as brands/gear/$.

So, where do u begin. Let’s just say u have the saddle and are starting at the bottom. U don’t initial your checks with DR so budget is something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Need rope, ascenders, belays, and on and on. I’m needing something that doesn’t slip, does it’s job, and is safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to get get off the ground (see what I did there?) starting with nothing. Here is the recipe I have come up with so far - I have not tried this out yet, but it's the latest iteration of my master plan, subject to change at any time:

1. 40' Sterling HTP 9mm for ascent and descent (rappel).
2. Mechanical hand ascender with a aider/foot loop for ascent.
3. Some sort of friction hitch as secondary attachment when ascending instead of mechanical belay device (Safeguard, etc.).
4. ATC belay device with Valdotain Tresse (VT) knot for backup/safety for rappelling down.
5. ~9' Sterling OpLux 8mm for tether when in position - attached to harness via prussik or distel hitch and biner.
6. Sterling 6mm TRC for various prusik/friction hitches as necessary.
7. SitDrag seat for comfort.
8. Amsteel Blue 1/4" whoopie sling bridge on SitDrag until I decide what length I like and then I'll make it fixed eye.
9. Rock Climbing Harness (tbd on which one - still trying to decide if I want/need one with lineman loops or not)

Based on that 'recipe', here's what it looks like if ordering from DanO over at DoubleSteps.com:
1570458968882.png

Total comes out to $237 right now and this cost does not include the climbing harness cost or any type of platform when in the tree, so I'll be a little over $300 before it all said and done.

I welcome any and all feedback on that plan, of course...

How will your foot loop attach to the rope?

Foot loop attaches to the hand ascender. Same technique as this video, but I'm hoping to be able to use a friction hitch in place of the mechanical Lifeguard/Safeguard device:

Take a look at this link and look at the combos available. Might find something that you like at a price point you are comfortable with.

Take a look at this link and look at the combos available. Might find something that you like at a price point you are comfortable with.

Thank u. That’s exactly what I was looking for

50 feet 9mm Sterling HTP
Petzl right hand ascender
Make a foot loop from a ratchet strap or cam strap from Harbor Freight for the ascender.
Madrock Safeguard
2 Black Diamond Rocklocker Carabiners
One Primal step to rest your feet.
Set it up like this. Instead of the Petzl Rollclip on the hand ascender use one of the BD carabiners in it's place.
The other carabiner attaches to MR Safeguard and clips to your bridge.
You will need to get your rope up the tree. I invented an electrical conduit pushpole which I like more the more I use it. There are numerous posts about it on Saddlehunter.com but this is one post. The other way is a throwball and throwline. In heavy brush, this is not fun.

Last edited:
If you plan to hunt a spot multiple times, climb the 1st time with sticks or what have you. Preset it before you leave and you'll be good to go for SRT from there on.

Foot loop attaches to the hand ascender. Same technique as this video, but I'm hoping to be able to use a friction hitch in place of the mechanical Lifeguard/Safeguard device:

I use a similar system only with the foot loop attached to an ascender below my bridge. It works the same only my foot loop is much shorter.

I'm trying to get get off the ground (see what I did there?) starting with nothing. Here is the recipe I have come up with so far - I have not tried this out yet, but it's the latest iteration of my master plan, subject to change at any time:

1. 40' Sterling HTP 9mm for ascent and descent (rappel).
2. Mechanical hand ascender with a aider/foot loop for ascent.
3. Some sort of friction hitch as secondary attachment when ascending instead of mechanical belay device (Safeguard, etc.).
4. ATC belay device with Valdotain Tresse (VT) knot for backup/safety for rappelling down.
5. ~9' Sterling OpLux 8mm for tether when in position - attached to harness via prussik or distel hitch and biner.
6. Sterling 6mm TRC for various prusik/friction hitches as necessary.
7. SitDrag seat for comfort.
8. Amsteel Blue 1/4" whoopie sling bridge on SitDrag until I decide what length I like and then I'll make it fixed eye.
9. Rock Climbing Harness (tbd on which one - still trying to decide if I want/need one with lineman loops or not)

Based on that 'recipe', here's what it looks like if ordering from DanO over at DoubleSteps.com:
View attachment 17860

Total comes out to $237 right now and this cost does not include the climbing harness cost or any type of platform when in the tree, so I'll be a little over $300 before it all said and done.

I welcome any and all feedback on that plan, of course...
IDK about #3. Frcition hitch in this application is a pain in the butt! There are several choices for ascenders (like the Ropeman) that are appropriate for this. Doesn't have to be a belay device, especially if you plan on descending with the ATC.

I know it’s been gone over and yes I’ve worn the search out reading. Been YouTubing and such for a few months now.

So, where do u begin. Let’s just say u have the saddle and are starting at the bottom. U don’t initial your checks with DR so budget is something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Need rope, ascenders, belays, and on and on. I’m needing something that doesn’t slip, does it’s job, and is safe.

DRT is probably more economical than SRT. Within SRT, a texas system is more economical than RADS.

The mechanical belay devices that operate like the GriGri or Lifeguard and Safeguard are wonderful devices that simply work and are troublefree IMHO. I tried the ATC in guide mode to simulate these devices but had troubles. I would consider one of the mechanical belay devices to be my primary purchase in a RADS system. I have experimented with ropewalker systems using friction hitches for progress capture and descent. They are always either too tight or too loose. If you just want to hunt with minimal trouble RADS is the way to go. If you want to fight climbing systems or change from one device to another at height, then the others are fine.

The mechanical belay devices that operate like the GriGri or Lifeguard and Safeguard are wonderful devices that simply work and are troublefree IMHO. I tried the ATC in guide mode to simulate these devices but had troubles. I would consider one of the mechanical belay devices to be my primary purchase in a RADS system. I have experimented with ropewalker systems using friction hitches for progress capture and descent. They are always either too tight or too loose. If you just want to hunt with minimal trouble RADS is the way to go. If you want to fight climbing systems or change from one device to another at height, then the others are fine.

So do you back up these mechanical systems with a auto block for double redundancy? I am also new and trying to figure this stuff out. I don’t have unlimited funds but would spend more money to eliminate complications

So do you back up these mechanical systems with a auto block for double redundancy? I am also new and trying to figure this stuff out. I don’t have unlimited funds but would spend more money to eliminate complications

I don't. There are a ton of videos on Youtube showing experienced rock climbers not even holding the tag end of the rope when using a mechanical assist belay device. IMHO, once they are locked on the rope they stay put unless unweighed. Today, I took my hand off the tag end of my Madrock Safeguard while I unfastened my platform from the tree. I felt a bit uneasy but it held firm. I have been climbing at least several times a week since July and have been careful with the tag end of the rope with the GriGri, Madrock Lifeguard and Safeguard but have never had them slip. These things are never 100% certain. Think about the brakes on your car. When you step on the pedal people expect it to stop. Sometimes it doesn't. I have experienced car brakes fading with old drum brakes. I needed both of my feet on the pedal to stop coming down a long hill a few times.

Last edited:
50 feet 9mm Sterling HTP
Make a foot loop from a ratchet strap or cam strap from Harbor Freight for the ascender.
Madrock Safeguard

Set it up like this. Instead of the Petzl Rollclip on the hand ascender use one of the BD carabiners in it's place.
You will need to get your rope up the tree. I invented an electrical conduit pushpole which I like more the more I use it. There are numerous posts about it on Saddlehunter.com but this is one post. The other way is a throwball and throwline. In heavy brush, this is not fun.
Has anyone found a website that sells the above items in red in one location? I've been scoring the innerwebs for those items and have yet to find them all on one website.

Has anyone found a website that sells the above items in red in one location? I've been scoring the innerwebs for those items and have yet to find them all on one website.
Doublesteps.com is gonna be real close.

50 feet 9mm Sterling HTP
Madrock Safeguard

This picture gives me anxiety lol or does it take me back to my rave days of the 90s. Either way both give me the shakes.

It’s been mentioned above but you’ll have a hard time replacing a Madrock Safeguard or Petzl grigri for the ascent. Absolutely not needed on rappel but they’re great for getting into a tree. Other than that, your list looks solid. Like you’ve already discovered, there are MANY SRT and DRT options.

I think Jamie Cline (see video earlier in thread) nailed it with about the most simple SRT technique when applied to our (saddle hunting) situation. The only thing I added was an ATC and autoblock (just a few ounces) for rappelling. I also use a separate tether while hunting but it’s up to you.

If used correctly, this system saves you weight and is the safest method I’m aware of for ascending/descending a tree.

Another mechanically assisted belay device is the Beal Birdie. It looks to be almost the same design as the Madrock Lifeguard.

Back