• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT video - please help a newbie

sporter

Hi guys I found this video below for a super simple SRT climbing method , I’m very keen to replicate it as my climbing technique .

Could I please ask the groups review of this method , is it safe ? It looks super effective and lightweight but I know very little lol

So my question here is the gear and configuration used in this video are all correct and suitable ? I keep seeing rope wrenches listed on tree cutting websites but the meathod in the video seems much easier .

I agree, SRT is one of the easiest methods and safest methods to climb . . .once the rope is in the tree. It worked great for me in the backyard but I could never get that ease to translate to a hunting situation as I struggled mightily to get the rope in the tree. There was never a tree with a branch where I wanted it, always too much brush on the ground to keep from tangling my throw line, and I don't hunt from the same tree much so presets aren't really for me. However, if you want to preset and have a good way to get the rope in the tree it really is a great way to go. As others have suggested though, find someone who knows what they are doing and learn the ropes from them (pun intended).

Hi guys I found this video below for a super simple SRT climbing method , I’m very keen to replicate it as my climbing technique .

Could I please ask the groups review of this method , is it safe ? It looks super effective and lightweight but I know very little lol

If used correctly, there is no safer way to get in and out of a tree. I've used it for "run and gun" on afternoon sits but it would be harder in the morning (dark) without pre set paracord. I prefer SRT over all other methods at the moment. Just take it slow and follow the directions for any equipment you purchase.

Using ropes to get in and out of a tree will quickly go from the safest method to the most dangerous if you're not using rated equipment or you're using something the wrong way. Build your knowledge base and keep things simple.

That's a great video to get you started...@JCLINE84 has shown many how to get started using SRT. Like everyone agrees though you may want to get some professional help before starting and by all means try these techniques close to the ground first. It is IMO one of the most lightweight run and gun climbing methods you can use to ascend/descend a tree to hunting height and back. Like both @boyne bowhunter and @weekender21 said though, you need trees prepped in advance to go in before daylight and get your rope into a tree. @sporter By presets for early morning hunts we mean: get your throw line in the tree at hunting height and leave a paracord in the tree to pull up your climbing rope the day you go in to hunt it. This tree I was able to use one stick to get to branches and climb it to height to put the (orange) paracord in it.

watch8.jpg

Last edited:
repel.jpg
I have moved my safety backup to above my safeguard on the live side of the rappel device, a warning if your using it on the tag end side like I was ....when it goes into the safeguard it releases the knot and becomes useless as a safety. It takes some getting used to releasing the Klemheist knot while paying out line for the rappel but with a glove and some practice it is so much safer!

A push pole does work to get the rope up a limbless tree. It is my primary SRT/RADS method.

View attachment 20059
I have moved my safety backup to above my safeguard on the live side of the rappel device, a warning if your using it on the tag end side like I was ....when it goes into the safeguard it releases the knot and becomes useless as a safety. It takes some getting used to releasing the Klemheist knot while paying out line for the rappel but with a glove and some practice it is so much safer!

You can set up the separation with an ATC to ensure your hitch won’t feed into the ATC. Is that not also possible with a belay device like your safeguard?

I prefer not to rappel with my Safeguard but if I did, I wouldn’t be using a friction hitch at all, just maintaining a hand on the tag at all times.

Not recommending this as I personally believe rappelling from a belay device is already operating in the gray area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started SRT/RAD climbing about 3 seasons ago with Petzl Rig, Petzl hand ascender and foot loop on Samson Predator rope. Its very safe, definitely safer than the typical means used by hunters getting into trees for decades because you remain attached the whole time and go as slow or as fast as you want. But as mentioned you have to make sure you learn to do it correctly. You should have a safety line attached to your hand ascender and bridge, you should back up your descender with an autoblock when descending. You can you can emplloy an autoblock on ascent as a backup to the descender, but requires more tending. So there are a few things you need get right and then practice and practice until its second nature.

I've also learned how to be come proficient using a throw bag. It takes practice, but given the relatively low distances we need as hunters vs what arborists typically do, its not that difficult. Setting a line in the dark via bag though is far more difficult only because of the visibility challenges. Not impossible, just takes more throws and a little luck feels even sweeter than usual when you get it. So doing paracord presets for haul lines is less of hassle for those scenarios. And honestly how many times do you wander into the woods at dark and pick a random tree to climb? I don't think I've ever done that in over 50 years of hunting deer. I scout all year, but now I scout with my thow line, bag, folding storage cube and several hanks of paracord.

Up until this season I always had my climbing sticks in the truck, at camp or cached in the woods where I could get to them if needed. Haven't needed them yet and have made some tricky sets in the 40' realm. Killed a nice little 7pt from one last month and couldn't get a clear shot at a really good 8pt 2 weeks ago.

Sometimes you just have to find the time to learn new stuff. :)

Attachments

• 20191011_190044-1280-1024.jpg
    20191011_190044-1280-1024.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191011_200258-1280-1024.jpg
    20191011_200258-1280-1024.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20191026_150056-1280-1024.jpg
    20191026_150056-1280-1024.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20191026_154524-1280-1024.jpg
    20191026_154524-1280-1024.jpg