• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stepp as base of platform?

bigcat93

SH Member
Has anyone ever tinkered with the idea of using a jim step style step as a base, and either welding or attaching an XOP or lone wolf seat to it?

Has anyone ever tinkered with the idea of using a jim step style step as a base, and either welding or attaching an XOP or lone wolf seat to it?
Interesting. How do you envision this working?

Ill see if i can draw up some pictures but ill try to explain it. Well all know the steps has the cam over action like you've all be using to get you're sticks and platforms snug to the tree. Well if a platform was secured atop a jim stepp step, the cam over action would put it into place with the jim step knot.. no straps or buttons. just one piece of rope and the step/top platform?

You can do this already with the platform designs. This is my platform from last year. I just prefer dual connection points for redundancy. I want to see your idea regardless.

14bdc37709ee62feabae88bf14f02ef1.jpg

Dave and I talked about it. Stepps are metal, so you can't weld an xop seat to it. Its also not big enough in my opinion to support a platform that will see side loading. I discussed the idea with the owner if Stepps and he thought it would be cool to make a larger stepp, but was too busy at the time. He also hunts from a saddle and has an account on here. I did a DIY on a cam over platform, but its still a work in progress. Its all metal and doesn't use a stepp or an xop seat. If I could weld aluminum I would use the LW hand climber and make one.

Kenn pretty much covered it. I think it would work with the right engineering. It really could be the best platform option there is. I'm sure by this time next year it will be all the rage.

Did you ever do this?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I bought a tubing bender and my machinist is cutting a 3/4" square tubing die for me. My first project is the new platform I've come up with. The second is a 3/4" tube version of the Stepp to do exactly what Kenn said - a bigger Stepp in hopes in makes a decent platform. I wish I was the machinist!

I'm starting to wish you were a machinist too!
I'll be watching this one, thanks for tinkering with this.

I bought a tubing bender and my machinist is cutting a 3/4" square tubing die for me. My first project is the new platform I've come up with. The second is a 3/4" tube version of the Stepp to do exactly what Kenn said - a bigger Stepp in hopes in makes a decent platform. I wish I was the machinist!
Please take pictures. I'm actually interested in going the other way and making a smaller stepp.

Welding aluminum to steel does seem tricky, interested to see what you come up with

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Welding aluminum to steel does seem tricky, interested to see what you come up with

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can braze aluminum to steel or CMT aluminum to steel but neither would be feasible for this endeavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you could just use a steel hang on seat or make a seat using steel so you could weld it on easily. If it's not too big your probably not talking a major weight difference.

That's a cool idea. I think I would angle it though. To closer match what our legs are doing when leaning.
It's too bad you couldn't have the stepp coming up through the patflorm and welded at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back