• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stepps + Cranford platform

drew13

Really liking the knaider/swaider with my Stepps and was trying to come up with an easy way to put an extra step or two onto the rope of my top stepp to make a ring of steps as a platform. I didn’t want to thread ameristeps or other strap-on steps on the rope as it makes it harder to install quietly as the stepp and steps can clank together. Also affects the packability of the stepps.

So I took a cranford rope folding step and cut one of the hooks with my sawzall so that they are both open hooks and I removed the rope that came with it. Put a stepp up on my test tree, cammed it over and then un-cammed it to get some slack. Slid the cranford step up and under the rope and hooked the hooks over the rope. The rod in the cranford that makes the hooks comes with a bend in it so it easily turned away from the tree to hook over the rope. Cammed the stepp back over and voila - a 2 step platform! Can easily add more after modding more cranfords, I think.

The cranford is a little squishy when I step onto it, a lot like a ring of ameristeps on a strap like I use most of the time, so it doesn’t worry me (always be tethered in on any platform anyway). I was originally concerned that having two open hooks would weaken that part of the cranford, but it doesn’t seem to put any weight on the hooks at all.

I love that I can install my top stepp as normal, take one or two of these folding cranfords out of my pouch and slide them onto the rope. Think that will be very quiet.

I feel like there is some room for improvement in the hooks themselves so they wrap around the rope more positively, but I, personally, would not be afraid to use this in the woods as-is. Open to ideas for improvement!

38fa1957034787c28a534256b13594ee.jpg
05253f0fde36277cba291e30983c04c0.jpg
ec343fa5c0fdd38c2293e466042a9530.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning on using one of my cranfords around the back side of bigger trees anyway but this looks like it may eliminate having to deal with another rope while setting up. Looks good to me!

@drew13 , I did the same thing with my furniture bracket, here is the thread with a pic and a couple short vids: https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/we-step-platform-tweak.8540/

Just for the heck of it, try moving the cranford just a couple more inches away from the step. I found that I got a much better bind if the rope was tight against the tree on both side of my bracket. When I had it close to where the rope was getting away from the tree near the step, it was much looser. The bracket was on pretty tight for me (look at second vid). Pete

@drew13 , I did the same thing with my furniture bracket, here is the thread with a pic and a couple short vids: https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/we-step-platform-tweak.8540/

Just for the heck of it, try moving the cranford just a couple more inches away from the step. I found that I got a much better bind if the rope was tight against the tree on both side of my bracket. When I had it close to where the rope was getting away from the tree near the step, it was much looser. The bracket was on pretty tight for me (look at second vid). Pete

Hey Peter - yes, I saw that furniture bracket idea and tried it. I think (correct me if I’m wrong) that you are threading the rope through the holes in the bracket before you put the stepp on the tree, right? What I was looking for is something where I could put the stepp on as normal (with nothing else on the stepp rope) and then add a step on the side - that, to me at least, is the big benefit. I have used a ring of steps as a platform for years and always dealt with them clanking against each other when installing, etc. I don’t have to worry about that with this which I like a lot. Just take one or two cranfords out of my pouch and hook them onto the rope with the stepp already in place (just needs to re-cammed).

I bet you are totally right that the cranford step will be even tighter when move farther from the stepp! Will play with that...

Yes, I thread the bracket through the rope. However, my plan is to only do it in the tree when I need that extra platform. I am curious though if it will make a difference if you thread it. Will you try it when you get a chance? I like your idea though of just sliding it behind the rope That was what I really wanted to do but I have not found an appropriate "platform" yet to try it with. I keep searching for something that will work. It is out there...just have to think outside of the box :)

Yes, I thread the bracket through the rope. However, my plan is to only do it in the tree when I need that extra platform. I am curious though if it will make a difference if you thread it. Will you try it when you get a chance? I like your idea though of just sliding it behind the rope That was what I really wanted to do but I have not found an appropriate "platform" yet to try it with. I keep searching for something that will work. It is out there...just have to think outside of the box :)

Sorry Peter, I’m not sure what you mean. You want me to try threading the rope through a cranford step before installing the stepp?

I may be mistaken (I don't have any) but I thought they had a ring that their strap would go through. The ring on yours, is that original or was cut/opened up? My thought was that the rope of the step could really tighten on it. Pete

Yes, the cranfords come with one side closed. In my pic below, the stock cranford is on the left with the rope attached. I cut that side open with my sawzall so I could hook it onto the stepp rope instead of threading it on - the modded step is on the right. Works for me and I’m excited to use it.
b8cdcec43f251ca88802e54e459c4055.jpg

I did the same thing in my predator platform except I left the loop on the step that way it wouldn't fall off my strap.
f1848ab79b43f9832ab15f7e0ebd4151.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yes, the cranfords come with one side closed. In my pic below, the stock cranford is on the left with the rope attached. I cut that side open with my sawzall so I could hook it onto the stepp rope instead of threading it on - the modded step is on the right. Works for me and I’m excited to use it.
b8cdcec43f251ca88802e54e459c4055.jpg
I like it. I think I will order a couple and try. More compact than the bracket. Thx for the close up pic. Pete

Really liking the knaider/swaider with my Stepps and was trying to come up with an easy way to put an extra step or two onto the rope of my top stepp to make a ring of steps as a platform. I didn’t want to thread ameristeps or other strap-on steps on the rope as it makes it harder to install quietly as the stepp and steps can clank together. Also affects the packability of the stepps.

So I took a cranford rope folding step and cut one of the hooks with my sawzall so that they are both open hooks and I removed the rope that came with it. Put a stepp up on my test tree, cammed it over and then un-cammed it to get some slack. Slid the cranford step up and under the rope and hooked the hooks over the rope. The rod in the cranford that makes the hooks comes with a bend in it so it easily turned away from the tree to hook over the rope. Cammed the stepp back over and voila - a 2 step platform! Can easily add more after modding more cranfords, I think.

The cranford is a little squishy when I step onto it, a lot like a ring of ameristeps on a strap like I use most of the time, so it doesn’t worry me (always be tethered in on any platform anyway). I was originally concerned that having two open hooks would weaken that part of the cranford, but it doesn’t seem to put any weight on the hooks at all.

I love that I can install my top stepp as normal, take one or two of these folding cranfords out of my pouch and slide them onto the rope. Think that will be very quiet.

I feel like there is some room for improvement in the hooks themselves so they wrap around the rope more positively, but I, personally, would not be afraid to use this in the woods as-is. Open to ideas for improvement!

38fa1957034787c28a534256b13594ee.jpg
05253f0fde36277cba291e30983c04c0.jpg
ec343fa5c0fdd38c2293e466042a9530.jpg
Nice I have maybe 20 or more of the steps I used in the early days. I'll
have to play around with them. Can never have to many options.

Back