• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick fetish

TNSTAAFL

SH Member
My name is @TNSTAAFL. I have a stick problem.

I can't stop buying and tinkering with sticks.

I would say I have a climbing method problem, as I spent a season with WE's & @Peterk1234's Knaider & @swampsnyper's Swaider. I spent a gun season using an @bongo hand climber top. I even bought a set of Primals and a satchel to try and be cool like Indiana Jones and @fbwguy. But I've never tried bolts or SRT/DRT, so I'll "stick" to my premise of a stick problem.

I bought a set of APIs in 2018 that slowly morphed into custom built $80+ DIY/EWO sticks. Absolutley love them. That didn't stop me last year from also buying and modding Hawk Heliums @DaveT1963 style. Those were awesome too.

I've also owned original full size LW's which were my first sale on this forum, funding my first saddle purchase. Briefly I owned a set of XOP's (which were awful IMHO).

In order to try 1-sticking I bought a Muddy Pro because @Cain is a dude, and a Stacked Outdoors stick because @Ontariofarmer does everything right.

I have yet to pull the trigger on LWCG sticks of any sort...yet. @Nutterbuster had me close on the mini's (you have to watch out for that guy!), and those double step sticks have had my eye ever since ATA. So stackable and light. If they can figure out the standoffs and QC they'll have my money.

I also haven't yet fallen temptation to the Shikars, even though I'm a big fan of @Mgaris and OOAL (loved my Podium). Those rotating double steps get my itch to need some scratchin'.

I've wanted to buy @redsquirrel's Leverage mini sticks, cause they looked cool and owning something that used to belong to Papa Squirrel would be the bomb.com.

All this to get to the point that I recently fell temptation to the "new" Novix mini sticks. I always thought the LW minis were cool and wished I'd known about them when they were available. @Vtbow has a way of getting me yearning for nostalgic gear. Or maybe it was that @bowhunter15 made everything look so cool, but whatever, I've always wanted a set.

So despite the fact that I had no need, I took advantage of the sale price and bought a set. I mean, American company, what's not to love about supporting that during a pandemic, right? That lead me once again back to EWO to keep funding @DanO's retirement account to pick up cable aiders, woven daisy chain straps, and stealth strips. I mean, I can't just settle for $33 dollars per stick, can I? I gotta trick these things out!

Anyway, I just finished my tinkering and these beauties come in at an amazing 7.3 lbs! That's with cable aiders and woven daisy chain straps installed. The best part is how compact they are. While the single step is less desirable, the side stacking profile of these is on point.

Public land legal. Easy to install. Very small to pack. Approx 33" in total stick length. Basically a 3-step stick but much more packable and light. I gotta imagine these rival any 1-sticking & rappel setup (uh oh, I think I just invited the wrath of @kyler1945 on myself!), and maybe even some spurs in terms of weight and bulk. Slightly bulkier, but not much, and very simple/safe to climb with.

That wagon wheel of a versa button may need to go soon. That'll be another trip to EWO for @DanO's way cooler wheelie gun style buttons and another tank of gas for my fix guy. What's another $50 invested in these "cheap" sticks?

Cheers to Novix (Oakleaf Outdoors) and Eastern Woods Outdoors for offering great products for junkies like me

88771cb711bf2800667c8bc4681588a7.jpg
e55ae0999c849c872a2f91078723c0cc.jpg
ea96f5de207b3db9f3f4a80d997e3984.jpg

Last edited:
How much dough do you figure you have invested in your new get-up? Seems like a great option, but I fear the retribution from my wife (in the form of a Nordstrom shopping spree to "get even") if I take the plunge...
The mini's were $129 when they were on sale, but now a bit higher in price.

The aiders and straps you can price check on EWO site. I think they were $10-11 each. So... another $85 means just over two bills.

I hear ya on the wife justification thing. Mine looked sideways at me when I was tinkering on them at the kitchen table. "Whach'a workin' on?"

What size aiders did you go with? I am having trouble deciding between 18", 20" or 22". I am new and have never used any. I have the Novix mini sticks. Thanks

What size aiders did you go with? I am having trouble deciding between 18", 20" or 22". I am new and have never used any. I have the Novix mini sticks. Thanks
Went with 18's to try and match stick length best. They work well.

Makes it tough to pick between my 24" double step DIYs and the Novix minis. So packable and light. I've used both this season and struggle to find a winner.

Excellent. That's what I like to hear. I am pumped to try it out. Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it.

Tiny little package. I like it.

Haha my preaching isn't to declare what the best climbing method is. My point is help people make an informed decision, in that they all are about the same when you really think about it. You just have to think about which tradeoff means the most to you. At the end of the day, they're all close enough.

I just get annoyed when someone thinks they've closed the book on the topic because of one feature or benefit of an option, without being honest about the tradeoffs to get that benefit.

I have the minis and I put amsteel on them and use a removable aider that I just move up each stick and I love them. Glad I spent the money on them.

My name is @TNSTAAFL. I have a stick problem.

I can't stop buying and tinkering with sticks.

I would say I have a climbing method problem, as I spent a season with WE's & @Peterk1234's Knaider & @swampsnyper's Swaider. I spent a gun season using an @bongo hand climber top. I even bought a set of Primals and a satchel to try and be cool like Indiana Jones and @fbwguy. But I've never tried bolts or SRT/DRT, so I'll "stick" to my premise of a stick problem.

I bought a set of APIs in 2018 that slowly morphed into custom built $80+ DIY/EWO sticks. Absolutley love them. That didn't stop me last year from also buying and modding Hawk Heliums @DaveT1963 style. Those were awesome too.

I've also owned original full size LW's which were my first sale on this forum, funding my first saddle purchase. Briefly I owned a set of XOP's (which were awful IMHO).

In order to try 1-sticking I bought a Muddy Pro because @Cain is a dude, and a Stacked Outdoors stick because @Ontariofarmer does everything right.

I have yet to pull the trigger on LWCG sticks of any sort...yet. @Nutterbuster had me close on the mini's (you have to watch out for that guy!), and those double step sticks have had my eye ever since ATA. So stackable and light. If they can figure out the standoffs and QC they'll have my money.

I also haven't yet fallen temptation to the Shikars, even though I'm a big fan of @Mgaris and OOAL (loved my Podium). Those rotating double steps get my itch to need some scratchin'.

I've wanted to buy @redsquirrel's Leverage mini sticks, cause they looked cool and owning something that used to belong to Papa Squirrel would be the bomb.com.

All this to get to the point that I recently fell temptation to the "new" Novix mini sticks. I always thought the LW minis were cool and wished I'd known about them when they were available. @Vtbow has a way of getting me yearning for nostalgic gear. Or maybe it was that @bowhunter15 made everything look so cool, but whatever, I've always wanted a set.

So despite the fact that I had no need, I took advantage of the sale price and bought a set. I mean, American company, what's not to love about supporting that during a pandemic, right? That lead me once again back to EWO to keep funding @DanO's retirement account to pick up cable aiders, woven daisy chain straps, and stealth strips. I mean, I can't just settle for $33 dollars per stick, can I? I gotta trick these things out!

Anyway, I just finished my tinkering and these beauties come in at an amazing 7.3 lbs! That's with cable aiders and woven daisy chain straps installed. The best part is how compact they are. While the single step is less desirable, the side stacking profile of these is on point.

Public land legal. Easy to install. Very small to pack. Approx 33" in total stick length. Basically a 3-step stick but much more packable and light. I gotta imagine these rival any 1-sticking & rappel setup (uh oh, I think I just invited the wrath of @kyler1945 on myself!), and maybe even some spurs in terms of weight and bulk. Slightly bulkier, but not much, and very simple/safe to climb with.

That wagon wheel of a versa button may need to go soon. That'll be another trip to EWO for @DanO's way cooler wheelie gun style buttons and another tank of gas for my fix guy. What's another $50 invested in these "cheap" sticks?

Cheers to Novix (Oakleaf Outdoors) and Eastern Woods Outdoors for offering great products for junkies like me

88771cb711bf2800667c8bc4681588a7.jpg
e55ae0999c849c872a2f91078723c0cc.jpg
ea96f5de207b3db9f3f4a80d997e3984.jpg
Do you like the side stacking better than the on top stacking. I've never thought of stacking them that way. Ill have to try it.

uhh.. i'm leaving this site.. Why did my little feeble heart begin to desire more climbing sticks just from reading that?

Haha my preaching isn't to declare what the best climbing method is. My point is help people make an informed decision, in that they all are about the same when you really think about it.
Preach on my friend. You do a great service to the common good here in this little corner of the interweb. I, for one, appreciate you being here and helping me think more.
Cheers!

Couldn’t said it any better myself. I too have a stick fetish granted it’s all for one sticking but I have extra upon extra of stick parts and I need more. It’s crazy I tell you

Do you like the side stacking better than the on top stacking. I've never thought of stacking them that way. Ill have to try it.
I do. Partly due to overall profile, partly due to straps interfering with vertical stacking.

uhh.. i'm leaving this site.. Why did my little feeble heart begin to desire more climbing sticks just from reading that?
Sorry about that bud.

Lotta good dudes on this site, much like yourself, that have opened my eyes to so many cool toys to tinker with.

It may be silly. It may be expensive all told. It may not really help me see or kill more deer. It's just an itch that I like scratchin'. There are worse vices to have I imagine.

Back