• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tab, glove or other

jsh909

Just curious on what everyone uses.

I currently use a glove. Have used tabs as well. I am using the glove now because my groups are better. I am going to be changing up my arrow set up for next season, so once I start dialing it in I will shoot with both the glove and a tab and whatever combination of release method and arrow weight works the best is what I will use.

Was given a loaner bow and a glove. In the back of my mind I wanted a tab because all the cool trad guys were using a tab. This rocked on for a few months, when I got my own bow I thought I would upgrade to a cool tab.
Well, I can't seem to get use to the tab so I reverted back to the glove. I probably didn't give it enough time but I like the feel of the well worn in glove.

Just curious on what everyone uses.

I currently use a glove. Have used tabs as well. I am using the glove now because my groups are better. I am going to be changing up my arrow set up for next season, so once I start dialing it in I will shoot with both the glove and a tab and whatever combination of release method and arrow weight works the best is what I will use.
Just to piggyback off your question, is there an advantage of using one over the other for hunting situations?
Thanks

I just got into traditional last year and have figured out that this subject is a worm hole. I've tried several tabs and half a dozen or so gloves. I have one tab that I like and I just got a glove Friday that I think I will like. It's a Bearpaw deer skin glove and it fits great right now. I'm wondering if it is gonna stretch out over time though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

What do you make yours out of?
I’ve been making tabs from assorted types of leather. I’ve tried different thickness, stiffness, layers - both sown and separate.

As for the question about advantages:

I like that a tab doesn’t prevent me from using my hand or fingers for doing other things. Shooting arrows is something that accounts for such a minuscule amount of time. You don’t have to remove the tab from your hand, so it’s always there and ready.

The climate where I hunt often requires some means of keeping your hands warm. The tab doesn’t impede any number of hand warming techniques.

Cordovan leather tab.
I bought a 12×12" piece from ebay. I just cut it with scissors, poke 2 tiny holes in it and tread small diameter shock cord and use a tiny zip tie on the shock cord to form the finger loop. The cord is adjustable so it will fit over bare fingers or thick gloves.
I used to cut a finger hole thru the tab itself but that uses slightly more leather. Horween Cordovan leather is precious stuff. It's the best leather. I like to maximize how many tabs that I can cut from a piece of leather. The zip tie/shock cord is the way to go.

Cordovan leather tab.
I bought a 12×12" piece from ebay. I just cut it with scissors, poke 2 tiny holes in it and tread small diameter shock cord and use a tiny zip tie on the shock cord to form the finger loop. The cord is adjustable so it will fit over bare fingers or thick gloves.
I used to cut a finger hole thru the tab itself but that uses slightly more leather. Horween Cordovan leather is precious stuff. It's the best leather. I like to maximize how many tabs that I can cut from a piece of leather. The zip tie/shock cord is the way to go.

I like the zip tie idea. The same thing can be achieved with some type of slip knot / friction hitch - such as a Blake’s - on a finger loop made of paracord.

@Just_Hangin_N_GA
So the main advantage to a tab, in theory is that it makes a repeatable release easier. And all fingers release the string simultaneously and the string slips off the tab. Where as with a glove your fingers can release at different times, roll the string, etc...

Last edited:
I’ve been making tabs from assorted types of leather. I’ve tried different thickness, stiffness, layers - both sown and separate.

As for the question about advantages:

I like that a tab doesn’t prevent me from using my hand or fingers for doing other things. Shooting arrows is something that accounts for such a minuscule amount of time. You don’t have to remove the tab from your hand, so it’s always there and ready.

The climate where I hunt often requires some means of keeping your hands warm. The tab doesn’t impede any number of hand warming techniques.
Thank you, I make mine out of whatever I have laying around. I typically use things that are as thin as I can find with a soft backing. And use a Paracord loop for my finger

I am going to try some cordovan leather. Thanks for the suggestion guys

Edit: I didn't realize one of my waterfowl loads was in the picture

Disclaimer:
Ignore the waterfowl load data on the cardboard below.

It's a load that I developed and has never been professionally tested. I hold no responsibility for anyone that tries it. Again it's untested, load at your own risk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240128-135043.png
    Screenshot_20240128-135043.png
    936.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240128-135032.png
    Screenshot_20240128-135032.png
    1 MB · Views: 29
@Just_Hangin_N_GA
So the main advantage to a tab, in theory is that it makes a repeatable release easier. And all fingers release the string simultaneously and the string slips off the tab. Where as with a glove your fingers can release at different times, roll the string, etc...
I think it is more of personal preference. I tried both and shot better with a tab. I like this one, I remove the rubber spacer.

Glove all day for split. Tabs are for people that shoot 3 under and aim too much.

Joking aside, I enjoy the glove the most. I like the way it shoots, the feel, and the fact that it is seemingly quieter. I shot a tab perfectly fine but I did not enjoy the sound nor the feel. It feels like a release to me. I want my traditional archery to feel more natural, instinctual even. If you’re shooting three under it makes a little more sense to use a tab, but for split I’ll stick with a glove. I like a thicker glove the best, especially shooting 50+ lbs. This is the one that I like the best, I bought several to have for years to come. The first one is nice and broke in and I have thousands of shots on it.

Glove all day for split. Tabs are for people that shoot 3 under and aim too much.

Not necessarily.

I'm not a traditional guy and I may be an oddball, but I started shooting a compound back in 87' with fingers, still do, probably always will. Not a purist either. I've just always been one who felt a bow and arrow was designed to be shot with fingers. If i need a trigger, I may as well be using a gun or crossbow. And a release always seemed like something with high potential to either lose or once in a tree realize it got left behind in the truck or at home.

Started using a glove early, then went to a tab. I draw one over two under, drop the lower of the two for release. Been using a calf hide size large Neet tab (hair on string side) for years. I cut and restitch to modify it to allow me to drop the third finger. It and a spare hang silently from my Mathews quiver bracket. Lightweight and near impossible to lose. Small enough for me to wear with a Glomitt as someone else mentioned which has always made for warmer shooting hand than an archers gloved hand.

Back