• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tacticam Reveal

RMcDonald7

SH Member
Who all is running tacticam reveals?

I'm running 3 1st gen cameras and love them! They can be temperamental at times but have not failed me yet!
I have no experience with any other model they have, but interested in the newer ones. Would like to get some video's - but do they send video's over cellular or do you have to pull the cards to get them?

Lets see some of those Reveal pictures!

Attachments

• bport fox.JPG
    bport fox.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 78
  • cat.JPG
    cat.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 79
  • fox.JPG
    fox.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 76
I have an X gen 1 and an X gen 2. The pic quality of the gen 2 is significantly more vivid compared to the gen 1. See below. My gen 1 died in the field 1 week after the 1 year warranty expired. They fixed it for free but I had to pay to ship it to them. I have not found a way to retrieve videos without pulling cards.

First pic is the gen2, second pic is the gen 1

4792E379-0084-4402-B774-5064422E0B1D.jpegB764197D-1D0F-40BA-A184-CC32C46603CF.jpeg

I do t think the X supports video requests. On the others, if you long press on the pic in the app you will get a HD button that pops up to request HD pic or video. When I try on the X I get a message that it’s not supported. It also has to be in timely mode , you can’t get them if you have it sending on schedule.

I have X gen 1, gen 2 and an XB. You can do video requests for the gen 2 and the XB. However, I would not buy another XB. The video quality is low on the XB.

Overall I'm VERY happy with all of them. I have not had a single one go offline, where my spy points were constantly going off line. Some of these cameras are in the exact same spot and same network.

I got 6 months of lithium battery life out of the XB. The battery monitoring was not ideal. It went from 80, to 30 to 0 pretty quickly. My gen 1 and 2s are still on their first set of batteries.

I own 3 XB’s. Very impressive camera and excellent battery life. I live 6 hours from my property and decided to change the first set of lithium AA’s out at the three month mark. They were still showing 60% and had completely filled up a 32GB card. I have mine set to send pictures once every 24hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have X gen 1, gen 2 and an XB. You can do video requests for the gen 2 and the XB. However, I would not buy another XB. The video quality is low on the XB.

Overall I'm VERY happy with all of them. I have not had a single one go offline, where my spy points were constantly going off line. Some of these cameras are in the exact same spot and same network.

I got 6 months of lithium battery life out of the XB. The battery monitoring was not ideal. It went from 80, to 30 to 0 pretty quickly. My gen 1 and 2s are still on their first set of batteries.
Surprised you have quality issues with the XB…our videos are amazing. Are you using lithiums and have good signal?

Who all is running tacticam reveals?

I'm running 3 1st gen cameras and love them! They can be temperamental at times but have not failed me yet!
I have no experience with any other model they have, but interested in the newer ones. Would like to get some video's - but do they send video's over cellular or do you have to pull the cards to get them?

I have run a couple of the Tactacam OG "Reveal" cams for 2 years now (and continue to). I get great battery life on the settings that I'm using as long as I put in Energizer Lithium AA batteries. (They go for almost a whole year on the settings I'm using).

I ran five of the Tactacam Gen 1 "Reveal X" cams for the past year. Battery life was similarly impressive ... most needed replacement after about 9 months and I had them set to capture 1 max resolution pic then 10 seconds of max resolution video written to the SD card. "Timely" delivery of pics, "High" flash power, and "Daily" settings check. Of note, the max resolution of Gen 1 Reveal X still photos is 16M, whereas the max resolution of the OG Reveal is 24M - and that makes the full size images higher quality. (Though the Gen 1 Reveal X 16M resolution is acceptable to me.) The Gen 1 Reveal X cams don't support video requests over the cell network, so you have to pull the SD card to review video. Overall, they're a great value if the functions meet your needs, especially if you find them on sale or clearance, now that the Reveal XB, Gen 2 Reveal X, and the Reveal X-Pro are available. One more thing, the Gen 1 Reveal X cams have a max video resolution of 1080p.

Earlier this month I sold all of my Gen 1 Reveal X cams and purchased Reveal XB cams to replace them. The Reveal XB cams have GPS built in to assist with location monitoring if they get stolen; They have "No Glow" IR flash (important to me because the "Low Glow" IR flash on my earlier model cams could spook deer, which was apparent by the reactions I'd sometimes see on video clips.) The Reveal XBs have a max still photo resolution of 24M and a max video resolution of 720p. Incidentally, the clarity of the still photo thumbnails and full resolution photos seems to be markedly better than on the OG Reveal cams that were also 24M max resolution. Seems like they upgraded hardware to achieve higher quality pics than anything they released previously? Maybe it's my imagination but the photo quality is noticeably better. I love that I can request video now when I see a nice buck on the still photo that comes through. Helps me to see where he came from and (sometimes) where he's going ... all without disturbing the area with another visit to the camera.

Some of the other model Tactacam Reveal cams currently in production also have the new "Hybrid" mode for settings checks/updates. This is a compromise setting that saves battery life if you value the ability to instantaneously update your camera settings remotely through the app. It lets you make a change to the settings instantaneously for a limited time after a thumbnail photo is sent to your phone. (10 minutes) Instead of constantly pinging the cell tower 24/7 to see if you have made settings adjustments (like the non-hybrid models do when you set the "Settings Check" to "Instant"), it only checks one regular time each day plus for 10 minutes after each photo is transmitted. This is really valuable because during stormy weather, moving brush and tree limbs can cause false triggers and send you numerous useless photos, unnecessarily draining your battery life if you have a lengthy storm duration. The Hybrid mode's 10 minute window after each photo is sent gives you ample time to reduce motion sensitivity to stop the false triggers. You can change it back to higher sensitivity after the storm passes.

Even though the Reveal XB doesn't offer the Hybrid mode for Settings Check, I still prefer it to the Reveal X-Pro because it has a better price point, higher resolution still photos, and I see no real value in the X-Pro's internal LCD screen. A comparison table is in the FAQ on their website, but here it is for reference. Note that the Gen 2 Reveal X is disadvantaged to to XB and the X-PRO because it has No built in GPS capability, 16MP max still photo resolution, and "Low Glow" IR LEDs. It does, however, have the Hybrid mode option for settings checks, which the Reveal XB lacks.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 12.37.04 AM.png

For those of you who are considering buying the $50 rechargeable LiPo battery cartridge, you need to know that it does not contain nearly as much stored energy as a set of AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium (disposable) batteries do. I called the Tactacam customer support line to find out the capacity of the LiPo battery cartridge and they informed me that it's 5000 mAh. Each of the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries has a capacity of 3000 mAh, so the stored energy is 7 times greater in a set of 12 disposable lithium AA batteries. Considering that my experience with the Gen 1 Reveal X cams was that I got about 9 months of uninterrupted use out of a set of 12 Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries, I expect the LiPo cartridges to need to be recharged about 6 times in a 9 month period. The customer support person I interacted with at Tactacam was trying to tell me that the life of the LiPo battery cartridge is comparable to using 12 Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's, but they're wrong.

I purchased the LiPo battery cartridge to conduct a comparison test and set up two XB cams side by side. One started with a fully charged LiPo battery cartridge, and the other with a new set of 12 AA Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. My test isn't finished yet because neither has run down far enough to require my intervention (yet), but I can tell you that the LiPo battery cartridge is reporting 80% battery strength after < 1 month, whereas the cam with AA batteries is still reporting 100% battery strength. (And it's the warmest month of the year - August - which is the easiest on battery life!) Both have been configured with identical settings and both have been taking and capturing an equivalent number of pics and video clips. So if you're thinking about buying the Tactacam LiPo battery cartridge, just be aware that you'll need to visit the cam more frequently than if you're using disposable lithium AA's - potentially A LOT more frequently, depending upon your settings and how frequently the cam is triggered.

You can add the Tactacam accessory solar panel to your set up to help but that's another expense, and ripe for stealing if your cam is on public land. That's my two cents on the LiPo cartridge.

That's a good option - but is another expense - and it's also a theft concern on public land unless you incorporate a lockbox for the external battery into the configuration (yet another expense). Are you using the 7Ah gel 12V batteries? Or something else? Out of curiosity, have you determined how much operating time you can expect from them per charge?

That's a good option - but is another expense - and it's also a theft concern on public land unless you incorporate a lockbox for the external battery into the configuration (yet another expense). Are you using the 7Ah gel 12V batteries? Or something else? Out of curiosity, have you determined how much operating time you can expect from them per charge?
I’m using 12ah 12v expert power brand batteries from Amazon. I put them in battery boxes I built from the 360 Herd DIY boxes. I got 8 months out of lithiums. I expect to get far more out of these, but they are rechargeable so after the initial expense I’m done buying batteries. Mine are on private (well hunt club) land.

The same 24 pack of Lithium’s I bought in May for $33 are $73 now.

Will stealth cam solar panels work with my tactacams? Anyone have experience?

Not without an adapter. Stealthcams use a DC plug size of 5.5 x 2.1mm. Tactacam Reveals (all models) use a DC plug size of 4.0 x 1.7mm.

If you're going the solar panel route, check out the Herd360 SPP1025 10w carbon fiber solar panel with built-in 25,000mah lithium battery pack. No other panel I've found even comes close to the energy storage of this one, and at 10 watts output from the solar panel to the internal batteries, it should keep a single cell cam running indefinitely, even with less than ideal sun exposure. It offers 6V, 9V, and 12V outputs and comes with a variety of electrical cords to fit almost every cell cam out there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Those are a little rich for my pockets.
It looks like I can purchase a 5 dollar adapter to convert what I have to work on my Tactacams.

I have 2 Reveal X’d I’ve been using since June all with Energizer Lithium batteries. Both are reporting full 100% battery life. So far I really like them and these may be the Gen 1 X’s I got them from Wally World when they were on sale for $69 each.

Yeah, my cameras do good with the Lithium batteries. I want to leave several in another state when I leave at the end of November. Thought maybe with the solar they would work until the next year. Hoping any way.

over the past week, my gen 1 tacticams have been taking only black and white pictures where they should be taking color. not sure whats up here.
but I did get my first bucks on camera today! so thats a plus. Hope these two can live past the orange army!

Attachments

• 2buck.JPG
    2buck.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 34
Back