• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Talk me out of a JX3

Lumberman

I'm still running the original Mantis and thinking about trying a different saddle. After a couple of sits this weekend, I don't know if I'm getting older or what, but it just doesn't seem as comfortable as I remember. It's been great but is also getting old. I would imagine there is some kind of usable life, correct? Thinking about giving the JX3 a try. Watched a ton of videos and reviews. Really looking for some not so good reviews. Who has it and doesn't like it. Why don't you like it?

I'm old school. Run 4 beast sticks, platform and 8mm tether. NO fancy climbing or repelling out of a helicopter or jump suit or any of that stuff. Safety is my number 1 priority.

I dont own one because I couldnt get past the obvious question, if you are gonna hunt from a lawn chair why climb a tree with it? If you are gonna hunt from the ground then that pacseat looks like the only way to fly, dont have one of those either. I prefer to hunt from tree, so I would go with trying a new saddle, CGM and Overwatch are made by our people. Cruzr and buzzard roost seem to be popular choices too.

Way too bulky for me…. I’m sure it’s crazy comfortable, but I’m more of a minimalist, so I’d never consider a jx3. I’ll take a great pleated or 2 panel saddle all day over that monstrosity.

I think you’d throw that Mantis in the garbage after using a CGM, Buzzard Roost or a Cruzr. So many better saddles out there than that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have one, but the only reason why is because of its weight and being a little to bulky for me. I hunt thick laurel and it would catch on everything.

I had one for a bit. Great concept, but a little big for me. A thinned down version would suit me better, although it'd still be a lot to carry compared to my normal gear.

How tall are you?

Waist and chest size?

Predominant weapon of choice? If bow, length of the bow?

How many days a year do you hunt?

How far is your average walk from access to hunting sets?

How long do you typically sit in tree? All day, couple hours?

Do you scout more or sit in a tree more?

What’s the total weight of your current setup?

Do you hunt presets(the same tree) or a new location more often?

Do you pay attention to the details, or are you more of a broad strokes guy?

Why did you begin saddle hunting to begin with?

Not for me, too heavy, too big. Main reason, stick out in the tree, no place to hide. You will looks like a politition at a church social. With a platform you can stand with your body tight to the tree and blend in.
Screenshot_20230209-131120_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Bar none the most comfortable thing in the woods. I was never a big climber guy, but I bet it’s close/surpasses whatever was the best of the best in peak climber days.

Two things ultimately made me sell it.

#1 I personally couldn’t get over just how much there was going on. It’s probably an excuse and if given more time I’d have probably really really liked it, but I just didn’t.

#2 I’m a pack guy. It was impossible to use any of the packs I had with the JX3. Figuring out a way to quietly carry sticks, ROS, plus water, binos, snacks for long/all day sits, knife, grunt tube, extra layer etc. I tried and tried but never found anything that really worked. I did purchase and LOVE the JX3 bino harness, but I still didn’t have enough room for everything I wanted with me in the woods.

I kinda liken the JX3 to the EZV. If we were all forced to use it for a season with proper practice and a quality number of sits, I think a lot more people would be using them both.

Bar none the most comfortable thing in the woods. I was never a big climber guy, but I bet it’s close/surpasses whatever was the best of the best in peak climber days.

Two things ultimately made me sell it.

#1 I personally couldn’t get over just how much there was going on. It’s probably an excuse and if given more time I’d have probably really really liked it, but I just didn’t.

#2 I’m a pack guy. It was impossible to use any of the packs I had with the JX3. Figuring out a way to quietly carry sticks, ROS, plus water, binos, snacks for long/all day sits, knife, grunt tube, extra layer etc. I tried and tried but never found anything that really worked. I did purchase and LOVE the JX3 bino harness, but I still didn’t have enough room for everything I wanted with me in the woods.

I kinda liken the JX3 to the EZV. If we were all forced to use it for a season with proper practice and a quality number of sits, I think a lot more people would be using them both.

Funny I entered both of those products at the same time. I put thousands of shots through an EZV before deciding it makes no sense for whitetail hunting for someone with good vision, especially one used to a pin sight. And I put hundreds of hours in a JX3 and have no idea how to make sense of most of arguments against it. But if you’ve seen the modifications thread on my hybrid, it’s a Frankenstein. Might ave something to do with it.

Like anything. It will add a degree of difficulty to something, and ez the problem of something else. In the end it's how you hunt.
If set in the right location I can see it being perfect. Set out in the open, and you will get sky lined like no tomorrow.
Since we all hunt just a little different. There is no simple answer. Other than try one and see if you like it. If not the classifieds are there for a reason.

Not to worried about it being bulky. I’m a large bloke 6’ 5” 265. Sneaking through the thick cover isn’t much of option for me anyway. I carried a 25lb climber for years without much issue. I hike 10 miles a day in the mountains after elk with a 60lb pack so I’m not overly concerned with the weight. Honestly a frame pack will probably be more comfortable then what I’m doing now.

Primary bow hunter. I generally don’t hunt the same tree more then 1 day all season. Probably make it out 20 days or so.

I hunt mostly public pressured whitetails so a 1 mile walk is fairly common.

My biggest concerns are carrying sticks and if it’s as comfortable as advertised. I would also hate to lose the mobility around the tree.

it does seem to have a lot going on.

Not for me, too heavy, too big. Main reason, stick out in the tree, no place to hide. You will looks like a politition at a church social. With a platform you can stand with your body tight to the tree and blend in.
View attachment 91874a

Depends on the platform.

Most of the time, someone leaning from a platform has as much or more profile than someone chillin in a JX3.

One of my big personal issues is I like to execute archery shots as repeatedly as possible, and to be able to adjust rapidly with minimal movement. Some platforms benefit that, but they typically add lbs.

Depends on the platform.

Most of the time, someone leaning from a platform has as much or more profile than someone chillin in a JX3.
That's why I am going away from saddle hunting. Leaning from a platform is a no go.
I will use a .75 and saddle hybrid mode on special occasions, but not my #1 method.

Not to worried about it being bulky. I’m a large bloke 6’ 5” 265. Sneaking through the thick cover isn’t much of option for me anyway. I carried a 25lb climber for years without much issue. I hike 10 miles a day in the mountains after elk with a 60lb pack so I’m not overly concerned with the weight. Honestly a frame pack will probably be more comfortable then what I’m doing now.

Primary bow hunter. I generally don’t hunt the same tree more then 1 day all season. Probably make it out 20 days or so.

I hunt mostly public pressured whitetails so a 1 mile walk is fairly common.

My biggest concerns are carrying sticks and if it’s as comfortable as advertised. I would also hate to lose the mobility around the tree.

it does seem to have a lot going on.

I think you’d be thrilled with it. Especially being tall - all of the complaints about a lot going on will largely go away fro you, because most of your torso will be above the side straps.

Don’t buy one new. Buy one here or on Faceworld used. Try it and if you don’t like it, you’re out 50 bucks.

The new buckles are a pain in the butt if you ask me. And the new one is a couple pounds heavier than mine.

But you’re a giant. So none of the weight stuff matters. You can carry sticks and all your crap easily.

I’d look hard at my modification thread and see about swapping in a proper shoulder harness and padded waist belt.

If you’re not a tinkerer, the only hold up I think that might bother you is shoulder harness adjustment and torso length adjustment compared to belt.

That's why I am going away from saddle hunting. Leaning from a platform is a no go.
I will use a .75 and saddle hybrid mode on special occasions, but not my #1 method.

Sitting in a saddle (hybrid) is the same profile as sitting in a JX3.

Sitting on a padded treestand seat is far less comfortable than a JX3.

Mesh treestand seat of good design is better than a padded seat, but adds system weight.

Reactions: JC3
I don’t have one, but the only reason why is because of its weight and being a little to bulky for me. I hunt thick laurel and it would catch on everything.

What's your setup?

Funny I entered both of those products at the same time. I put thousands of shots through an EZV before deciding it makes no sense for whitetail hunting for someone with good vision, especially one used to a pin sight. And I put hundreds of hours in a JX3 and have no idea how to make sense of most of arguments against it. But if you’ve seen the modifications thread on my hybrid, it’s a Frankenstein. Might ave something to do with it.

EZV is inherently imprecise compared to pin(s).

JX3 is probably less precise for execution of archery form than some other options.

I'd roll the dice with one of them. Ain't the EZV.

Since you don't mind toting a load just stick with the climber. If nothing else you're not stuck staring at a tree the whole time, trying to peak around said tree and having ropes in the way when it is go time. Or fighting that 1.1° lean you can only detect once your set up. I know our resident fan boys will say I'm wrong , it's just my $.02. Maybe instead of preaching DIY improvements we should link the how much did your kit weigh threads... spoiler.... all our gear adds up real real quick

I love my saddle and I'm not switching but there are obvious drawbacks.

Back