• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether rope recommendations

Squeaky_Ninja

I was wondering how long does everyone use their tether for or how long they last? And is there any that people recommend?

I have Tethrds ropes, the 11mm got a bulge in the eye within a year and Tethrd was great with a warranty. But then the 8mm which was used for a year and half now the prusik knot is sliding, idk if the tether, the knot rope, or the knot wrapping was the issue. I had 2 people try tightening the knot and it would still slip.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.
I am a 2TC fan.

I can't comment specifically on which rope to use - I did make my own tethers this year for 2TC and I probably wouldn't buy another. Making a tether was super simple and much, much cheaper.

Regarding length - I made my tethers 12 foot long. I also ordered a custom strap for my platform that was 12 foot long. The extra length enables me to hunt just about any tree in the woods, up to 3 ft or so in diameter(thats a huge tree). The last thing I wanted was to find a great tree in a killer spot and not be able to hunt it because my ropes were too short.

I was wondering how long does everyone use their tether for or how long they last? And is there any that people recommend?

I have Tethrds ropes, the 11mm got a bulge in the eye within a year and Tethrd was great with a warranty. But then the 8mm which was used for a year and half now the prusik knot is sliding, idk if the tether, the knot rope, or the knot wrapping was the issue. I had 2 people try tightening the knot and it would still slip.

I am a 2TC fan.
I don't personally, read *personally*, like the Tethrd hitch cords. I would swap out your hitch cord and you'll probably be fine, you might even be fine with re-tying your current hitch cord, as it may have gotten glazed (or worn in). Under typical use, 1.5 years is not really that long, but obviously we don't know the whole story lol.

I got a used saddle with ropes, Ropeman, caribiners, etc early this fall. I know the linemans is 9mm from Latitude, but the teather is unknown 11mm. So I have some Predator 11mm from EWO on the way with sewn eye and a new Ropeman. The current teather setup will just go into back up mode, but for ease of mind I wanted to have a fresh start with the aspect that is keeping me safely above the surface of the earth for hours at a time.

Last edited:
I just shortened mine, but not sure how long it is. I started out climbing trees a little too big, but have since done better moving my tether up smaller trees. My problem was stepping on the tail end of it on top of a step and I never liked the end loop hooked into my bridge carabiner. Hope I didn’t cut too much off!

I am a 2TC fan.

I got the larger size tethrd when I got my saddle 3 years ago and its still going strong. A little fraying from using it to 2tc on rough bark a couple times and a couple sits in a pine tree, but otherwise in good shape. I took the hitch cords off when I got them and put ropeman 1's on. For learning what you like and being able to adjust easily (which I did a lot the first 2 years) the ropemans were great if a little heavy. Now that I'm largely moving to 2TC I climb on my rappel rope and I just picked up some resc tech for bottom tether. I'm comfortable tying knots so I don't think I'll be using the ropemans much anymore unless I'm hunting from sticks. I'll just leave them on the tethrd ropes for that purpose.

On the 8mm rope, get some 6mm Sterling TRC and tie fresh friction hitches. Peruse the friction hitch thread. that should sort you out right there.

Back