• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The excruciating pains of getting older

Status
Not open for further replies.

sureshotscott

Staff member
SH Member
Jul 18, 2017
SE MI
Pretty soon my age will have a 5 handle, not looking forward to that. Spent the weekend hiking around hill country that's really kicked my azz, averaging 3-5 miles per day with 300 ft elevation change. Got back to hotel and had abdominal muscle cramps that are just terrible, even after slugging lots of water. Is this how old hunters go into retirement? The abdominal cramps are really bad, they lay you out. Is there some miracle cure to avoid this?

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Mar 19, 2018
Cato Arkansas
I’m with ya my friend! At 50 I was still dragging a climber in and out of the woods. It was torture getting out of bed the next day. The aches and pains are still with me and I find new ones every day, but saddle hunting has helped tremendously

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
I was there for a while. I'm 52 and in better shape than I have been in the past 30 years now. The key for me has been extremely hard HIIT workouts on spin bike and hard core mtn bike rides and semi-watching my eating and avoiding junk food as much as I can. I can do more than ever right now and not pay the price after.

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
If the abdominal pain was something new it probably has to do with something you ate recently, or even a passing illness. If it persists you should probably get that checked out.

That being said I’m 36 and have lived flatland all my life here in MI. I definitely feel those 50-80ft elevation changes in hill country. I feel like I’d need another 30 years to get used to that kind of terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: SloMo

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
If the abdominal pain was something new it probably has to do with something you ate recently, or even a passing illness. If it persists you should probably get that checked out.

That being said I’m 36 and have lived flatland all my life here in MI. I definitely feel those 50-80ft elevation changes in hill country. I feel like I’d need another 30 years to get used to that kind of terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
Elevation is definitely a thing too, especially for flat landers. I can climb over 750 ft on a single 6 mile trail ride locally being in the foothills of the mtns here.

Wolverinebuckman

Mar 22, 2018
Southern Kentucky
Yeah, I here you. 44 this month, and I groan getting out of bed in the morning.
I took a walk up the 300' hill behind the house a couple weeks ago... Did fine going up, down was the problem for my knees. This season should be interesting! These Kentucky hills are nothing like those Michigan marshes.

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Pretty soon my age will have a 5 handle, not looking forward to that. Spent the weekend hiking around hill country that's really kicked my azz, averaging 3-5 miles per day with 300 ft elevation change. Got back to hotel and had abdominal muscle cramps that are just terrible, even after slugging lots of water. Is this how old hunters go into retirement? The abdominal cramps are really bad, they lay you out. Is there some miracle cure to avoid this?
Ha, you young whipper snapper...wait until you hit 60.
I can't believe in the difference in the last 10 years since I was 51.
Gettin old ain't for sissies.

Hailey_Phillips

SH Member
Oct 23, 2016
Wesson, MS
I eat a lot of bananas for cramps, may help you.

I’m only 35, but between racing BMX from a youngster all the way up through my teen years and motocross after that, I’ve had my share of broken bones and surgeries.

I have a crapped out back and arthritis in my ankles. My knees won’t let me squat down anymore either. My dr laughingly told me if I was 80 I’d have a normal back! Thankfully I live in Mississippi so elevation isn’t an issue, but my downfall is walking across rough uneven ground through the woods, and stepping in a hole can be hunt-ending. The days following a really long hike in to hunt, is terrible on my lower back, knees, and ankles.

I’m dreading my 40’s much less on up into the 60’s haha. I’m not “old” but I definitely have a senior citizen’s body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sureshotscott

Staff member
SH Member
Jul 18, 2017
SE MI

These are muscle cramps, not internal. I will ask the doc but pretty sure he won't be much help.

Reactions: SloMo and Guff Dawg

Islandshooter

SH Member
Nov 19, 2018
Flagler Beach, FL
Ha, you young whipper snapper...wait until you hit 60.
I can't believe in the difference in the last 10 years since I was 51.
Gettin old ain't for sissies.
Tom...getting old is easy, just sit on the couch. Staying fit getting old ain't for sissies!!! 62 last june, retired, workout/shoot/climb every day. Read this forum and change my system at ,east once a month, hahaha!

rambotogo

Oct 24, 2017
Before and during drink plenty of water and something like Gatorade.You should be peeing a lot . Hope that helps ,dont quit just slow down a bit and keep going. Good luck

Reactions: BigAl and SloMo

sdonx

SH Member
Jan 30, 2018
SE MASS
I’m 54 and the aches are real. I am always under hydrated, something I need to work on.
On another note I find my drive, focus and ability to keep going, not quitting is ten fold over my younger years.

Apex7

SH Member
Jan 6, 2017
Pittsburgh Pa
I'm 60 and was hurt pretty bad at work 3 years ago back and hips still in pain. I use and e-bike other wise I don't think I could make it. It's hell getting older but I see some of you guys are staying in shape good for you. I know if I lost some weight it would help but it's tuff to but I should do it. I try to think of age as a number. My wife still thinks I act like a little kid with all this saddle stuff. Wish I felt like one. Hang in there all you old timer's and one's that feel like it.

Drslyr

Apr 11, 2018
Western ma
63 here. Triple disc neck fusion a couple yrs ago. Just added a heart attack to the list 4 months back. One day they’ll find me dead in the saddle. Hopefully mot too soon!

Recurveaholic

Dec 23, 2018
I eat a lot of bananas for cramps, may help you.

I’m only 35, but between racing BMX from a youngster all the way up through my teen years and motocross after that, I’ve had my share of broken bones and surgeries.

I have a crapped out back and arthritis in my ankles. My knees won’t let me squat down anymore either. My dr laughingly told me if I was 80 I’d have a normal back! Thankfully I live in Mississippi so elevation isn’t an issue, but my downfall is walking across rough uneven ground through the woods, and stepping in a hole can be hunt-ending. The days following a really long hike in to hunt, is terrible on my lower back, knees, and ankles.

I’m dreading my 40’s much less on up into the 60’s haha. I’m not “old” but I definitely have a senior citizen’s body.

right there with you!! I may only be 43 but I have had 4 back surgeries, a pine tree dropped in my lap, broken bones from motorcycle mishaps, fallen off of 2 story houses, etc........ So I definitely feel your pain!!! If we only knew when we were young how bad it would be later in life maybe we would not have been so stupid!!!! This is also why we need to be safe nowadays cause we cannot heal like we use to!!!!

Hailey_Phillips

SH Member
Oct 23, 2016
Wesson, MS
right there with you!! I may only be 43 but I have had 4 back surgeries, a pine tree dropped in my lap, broken bones from motorcycle mishaps, fallen off of 2 story houses, etc........ So I definitely feel your pain!!! If we only knew when we were young how bad it would be later in life maybe we would not have been so stupid!!!! This is also why we need to be safe nowadays cause we cannot heal like we use to!!!!

Yeah I took the little saying “to be old and wise, you must first be young and dumb” a little too literal. I’ve also learned I don’t bounce anymore when I hit the ground haha, I just splat. I wouldn’t necessarily change anything of the foolish things I’ve done, I just wish I would’ve taken it a little easier on myself. It’s all good though, I live on coffee and ibuprofen, and no matter how many aches and pains I have everyday, I can think back and smile about all the crazy things I’ve done.

Recurveaholic

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah I took the little saying “to be old and wise, you must first be young and dumb” a little too literal. I’ve also learned I don’t bounce anymore when I hit the ground haha, I just splat. I wouldn’t necessarily change anything of the foolish things I’ve done, I just wish I would’ve taken it a little easier on myself. It’s all good though, I live on coffee and ibuprofen, and no matter how many aches and pains I have everyday, I can think back and smile about all the crazy things I’ve done.

Very true I am just glad I am still here and still able to keep at it! Be safe and have a great season!

Status
Not open for further replies.