• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The perfect saddle pack

Bowhuntermi

Alright guys, I’m new to this forum though I’ve been using it as a reference for quite a while.

I know packs are a widely discussed topic but I wanted to get your takes on what features go into making the perfect saddle hunting pack. Quietness? A specific lay out? A frame?

let’s hear it!

So many options. I would highly recommend starting with an inventory of what you carry into the woods and where/how you hunt. Choose a pack that fits your style of hunting.

Get ready to read comments that say "have you used the search function?" Theres about as much info on packs here as there is saddles and climbing sticks.

The perfect pack for me might not be the perfect pack for you. Here's 30 pages of options to read through to get an idea of what might work best for you.

Thanks guys. I’ve read these posts. This is more of a “what does your dream pack look like” post not “which pack should I get”.

For me it’d be external straps for the sticks and platform,quiet fabric and quiet Entry into the pack and some structure in it to hold some weight (tho not a frame)

I like external frame packs with pockets that I can use for range finder and gear hanger and such and I can get to without taking the pack off. Plus easy to get to my stuff I'll be using first like my saddle, sticks and platform. Oh and hugs me! :0)

I personally prefer a pack that I can store what I need for the days hunt on my back including my climbing method and a built in chest rig on the front that I store my ropes leaves my hands free to carry my weapon. I don’t need to carry a suitcase for a days hunt but if I’m hiking for miles on a big hunt that I’m gonna camp then yes but for a all day hunt I’m satisfied with the smaller packs I have because I can take everything I need for a 5 hr or all day sit

Good suggestions so far, it is totally dependent upon what you plan to carry, walking distance, etc.

A few suggestions: 1. get a pack with adjustable suspension (so you can change distance between waist and shoulder straps), almost all Mystery Ranch packs have this feature as do others, 2. don't get hung up on "it has to be a pack from a hunting company made for hunting", I use a day hiking pack from Mystery Ranch, and 3. don't get hung up on it having to have every external attachment exactly where you'd like it to carry all your stuff (sticks and platforms), without sewing you can add your own bungees and straps in a semi-permanent way and exactly where they make the most sense for you (I have bungee cord ball thingies bull hitched in the exact spots needed to hold my platform, as a for instance).

Good suggestions so far, it is totally dependent upon what you plan to carry, walking distance, etc.

A few suggestions: 1. get a pack with adjustable suspension (so you can change distance between waist and shoulder straps), almost all Mystery Ranch packs have this feature as do others, 2. don't get hung up on "it has to be a pack from a hunting company made for hunting", I use a day hiking pack from Mystery Ranch, and 3. don't get hung up on it having to have every external attachment exactly where you'd like it to carry all your stuff (sticks and platforms), without sewing you can add your own bungees and straps in a semi-permanent way and exactly where they make the most sense for you (I have bungee cord ball thingies bull hitched in the exact spots needed to hold my platform, as a for instance).

So your dream pack is a hiking pack with adjustable suspension that you can see stuff to

^^^^^ This.... there is no perfect pack yet, but that would be it.

So your dream pack is a hiking pack with adjustable suspension that you can see stuff to

A lightweight internal frame pack with adjustable yoke with enough pockets and volume to fit all my stuff and have room for a platform on the outside. Mystery Ranch Scree 32 liters, is it for me right now. It can hold inside it my climbing system, my down layers, and all my odds and ends.

It isn't "dream pack" necessarily, it is a $180 pack that does everything I need really well. The improvement would be a fleece exterior so it is a bit more quiet and also quieter zippers, but that's it really.

Last year I bought the trophyline C.A.Y.S backpack and it had a alot of nice features for saddle hunting but without a frame my back gets sour. The mystery ranch pop 28 is the one I bought it has a frame it makes a huge difference. You can pack out 80lbs meet. YouTube is a great resource of information on saddle hunting. Type mystery ranch pop up 28 saddle hunting it has alot of good reviews that's how I picked my tree saddle also.

I am currently using the MR Treehouse I bought used on here and so far I like it. I agree though, I wish they made these packs in a durable fleece. I have been looking at the Dayone Camo pack they make which is out of either fleece, cowboy suede or saddlecloth (I believe) and what I like is that the supports are heavy duty webbing that goes all around the pack but there are no molle attachment loops on it for hanging extra SH gear. Something along these lines would be great in like a double ply fleece exterior in predator or asat and then the lining would be like the newer liner material in the Flex saddle. Its quiet and durable but the exterior is even a quieter fleece or saddlecloth. The MR Treehouse is my deep in or cold setup spot pack on public and private. If I'm going to presets mostly I don't use it. Just some random thoughts. I wish some of the sewing guys on here would come up with something. I also picked up a Packrabbit for Spring Gobbler Bowhunting and Predator Hunting to carry in my blind, decoys, bow etc. and so I'll see how that works this spring and I may incorporate it into my saddlehunting pack this fall.

My girlfriend just got a sewing machine, so now I'm contemplating building my own pack. I've been searching for a while to find a pack that provides what I want for a day of hunting, and its been tough. Here's a design I found that I think would make a good base idea, with tweaks to materials and organization to customize it for saddle hunting. Here's what I was thinking:

- Fleece for most of the pack. Cordura for the heavy wear areas.

- This pack has a detachable front pack. I was thinking of attaching this pack from the bottom of the small pack to the bottom front of the main pack, creating almost a meat shelf that can be used to accommodate multiple platforms or hold extra layers. When not in use it would be able to be cinched down tight to the main pack. In the tree it could be loosened to create a shelf for Binos, calls, rangefinders, snacks, etc. Possibly even add a zipper to the back side of the small pack to access the inside when in shelf mode, and a U shaped zipper on the front of the big pack to allow access to the main cavity while hanging in the tree

- Using connections like tethrd does for their leg straps instead of the standard snap buckles that all packs use. This would allow the standard adjustability without the noise. I'm thinking all compression straps can use those adjusters/hooks, that way attaching sticks to the pack won't involve having to fish standoffs thru straps that can't be removed. All straps could have slack tenders and some kind of hood on the hook to prevent metal on metal contact as much as possible.

- Built in Roll pouch at the bottom of the main pack. This could be used to contain SRT/DRT/Rappel rope, sticks, or additional clothing. Being a roll pouch, it could help prevent snagging on things while walking in.

- lightweight internal frame to help support weight of gear and additional clothes. The website with the pattern has instructions to make one out of Kydex or HDPE.

- Adding pockets to the waist belt

- Adding two columns of molle webbing down the front of the main pack, and single columns down the side.

- Adding internal pockets to organize gear. I would keep the top loading function, but as mentioned above, creating an access on the front of the pack to be able to access the inner storage when in tree.

- Use paracord pulls for all zippers to minimize noise.

That's my plans so far, right now I'm trying to do my research and get some practice in with the machine before I dive in. Any thoughts, suggestions, or feedback on those tweaks?

Back