• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Things I've learned my first morning at 9:30am sent from the tree

JCLINE84

Vendor Rep
First of all, you are not going to buy a saddle, go in to hunt 2 days later, and get up your tree ready to hunt in less than 45 minutes to an hour.

Second, all the junk you pack on a normal hunt from a tree stand is going to have to be cut in half. Possibly thirds.

Third, buy strap on steps and possibly platform for future hunts. Screw in steps are a pain.

Fourth, anything in front pants pockets are dang near stuck there. Took a while to dig my phone out to type this.

Fourth, bow must be hung on left side of tree if you are a right handed shooter. Making the switch from one hand to the other across your bridge is tedious.

Fifth, I am 33, in extremely good shape, lift weights and run every day, look like I could suit up for a college football team right now, and I am exhausted, my legs are cramping, and I don't know if I can even draw my bow back if Mr. Big shows up anytime today. I need to work on my system to make things easier in the future. Also I think there is just a break in period for your body to get used to hanging from a tree this way.

Sixth, I can not in any way make it around the tree to shoot to my right. Mostly my fault because of limbs and my setup. A small saw is a must for the hang and hunt setup.

And lastly, I think I'm already hooked on saddle hunting. Much gear to be acquired and much more practice in the yard before my next hunt. I feel like kind of an idiot for screwing this first hunt up so much but I will stick with it and learn as I go.

Last edited:
Lol we've all been there!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I guess you'e the man to talk to about a part to make a platform. How much is the piece I need and do you still have them?

You got it. It takes practice and you need a system. But it’s worth it .

This also makes me smile! Sometimes i feel like I always learn the hard way! Hang in there, it only gets better! I think by definition saddle hunters are never completely satisfied with their setups, always tweaking it to make it better!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is my first year and it took me quiet a awhile to get it together. For me I realized the leg strain issue the second time I set up to practice in my lawn. To ease it up I need roughly 80% of my weight being held by the saddle. That took me awhile to figure out the tether height to find the sweet spot. My bow hasn't been a problem. My pack however is always in the way, either visually or physically. I've done the same thing with limbs more than once. I have one pine tree I prepped just before season that I literally can't shoot from, that was a wonderful wasted morning. So your not alone. But I'm hooked now. I already sold half my hand on stands.

Well I survived, and I even had two does walk within 10 yards of my tree. Surprised me because I spent most of my time in the tree today moving things around, adjusting straps, and just playing with my setup. The good news is my saddle so comfortable and I never felt unsafe. Just gonna keep trying it and keep looking here for good information. Thanks to all you guys that made this a place to find information.

You will hear the term “saddle shape” that is what is being referred to! Lol.
My sitdrag showed up I tied a bridge on and went hunting the next morning, in the dark. I was used to using sticks so that wasn’t bad. But I had DIY aiders for the first time and they wore my arse out!!
I had a moment today. I needed more height to get to the split in the tree I was in so I had to climb down and raise all my sticks up and stretch another 18” out of them. By the time I was done I was tired! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will hear the term “saddle shape” that is what is being referred to! Lol.
My sitdrag showed up I tied a bridge on and went hunting the next morning, in the dark. I was used to using sticks so that wasn’t bad. But I had DIY aiders for the first time and they wore my arse out!!
I had a moment today. I needed more height to get to the split in the tree I was in so I had to climb down and raise all my sticks up and stretch another 18” out of them. By the time I was done I was tired! Lol

Shew same with me!! I know my way around sticks and stands but this is so much different. I was exhausted by the time I clipped in.

This is my first year and it took me quiet a awhile to get it together. For me I realized the leg strain issue the second time I set up to practice in my lawn. To ease it up I need roughly 80% of my weight being held by the saddle. That took me awhile to figure out the tether height to find the sweet spot. My bow hasn't been a problem. My pack however is always in the way, either visually or physically. I've done the same thing with limbs more than once. I have one pine tree I prepped just before season that I literally can't shoot from, that was a wonderful wasted morning. So your not alone. But I'm hooked now. I already sold half my hand on stands.
I struggled with my pack also. There just isn' a good place to put it

9e21c0768d9d6aa5aa263a9b911b8d2e.jpg

I hang everything from a strap like this

I can’t promise a timeline guys but I am going to make a video for saddlehunterTV specifically about hanging your pack and bow. I’m just busy hunting hard right now.
What the heck redsquirrel? Priorities!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah red that doesn't do us much good in March

Sure it does, for next year lol. Seriously though I am listening to everything you guys say and I have lots of videos I want to make to help everyone out. With a busy job, a 2 year old and actually hunting (cause what’s the point of having a hunting website if you don’t actually get to go hunting ) it is tough to cram it all in.

Hang in there I just went back to work after a year being off I broke my L3 burst fracture L4 fracture. Left pelvic shattered and right pelvic broke I have no problem setting in my Kestrel. I've been saddle hunting for many years so the learning care for me was zero like I said hang in there if I could do it you can do it. Give it some time. It is a lot different than hunting from a tree stand but it's great.

Sure it does, for next year lol. Seriously though I am listening to everything you guys say and I have lots of videos I want to make to help everyone out. With a busy job, a 2 year old and actually hunting (cause what’s the point of having a hunting website if you don’t actually get to go hunting ) it is tough to cram it all in.

Have you tried not sleeping? Listening to all of us does make me a little nervous, that video list must be a mile long, lol!! Keep it up @redsquirrel!

Back