• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking about quartering deer vs dragging out. Thoughts??

Amarty734

Hey guys I wanted to get your opinion's on quartering/butchering deer in the field and packing them out vs dragging them out. I started hunting some big swamp public land and have been hunting up to 2 miles away from the car. In most situations I am alone, but could get help if needed. The only issue is I hunt over an hour from home so I hate to hassle a buddy to drive over to help. Has anybody tried to do this? Do your prefer this over dragging/ is it worth the hassle? What are some key items I would need to do this besides the obvious knife, game bags, and pack.

Do it, it’ll change you life! I have a molle frame pack with knife, trash bags for meat, a couple of cheap dollar store table cloths to roll the deer on to keep out of the leaves. Rubber gloves. That’s about it. Head light of course if night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragging deer is for puddin'heads and folks that live in states with commie regs. Free folk pack'em out. :)

Seriously though, I hardly ever drag. Way better to get all that mess over with in the woods. By the time I'm back at camp, all that's left to do is throw the meat on ice. I have no use for bones, innards, hooves, or hide.

I like to bone them out on the spot. Once the realization sets in that you can bone one out and pack it back to your truck faster, and do so with less effort on your part, you'll never drag another deer.

Heck I've gotten to the point now that even when I hunt private and can drive right to the deer I still just toss it on the tailgate and fillet it right there.

Its pretty nice. Id like to start hauling the block and tackle with me. Being hunkerd over for more than a few minutes gets rough the older ya get.

As far as gear, you pretty much nailed it. Whatever knife you believe in and a good pack is all you really need. I used to shove my deer in black contractor bags, but now I usually just throw the meat straight in my pack and wash it when I get home. Did 2 deer that way this year. The other two @kyler1945 generously strapped to his pac seat.

Any way you slice it, it beats the heck out of dragging. 40lbs or so on a good pack is NOTHING compared to 100 dragging on the ground. I could (and have) carry the first literally all weekend.

Quarter and pack all day every day and twice on Sunday! I have done several now and will never drag a deer more than 100 yards again. A good size doe at 130lbs can be brutal to drag, but debone it right where it lays and you're walking away with roughly 35-40lbs of meat that is nothing on your back. A big buck with cape is a good bit more effort and can hit 100lbs pretty quick but I would rather make two trips alone than I would drag it more than a couple hundred yards. Once you realize how easy it is you won't worry about how far from the truck you are which always helps eliminate competition ;)

If the law allows, pack it out. No question. Dragging is stupid.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Make sure it’s legal in your state, on public land, to cut one up in the woods. Some states do not allow it and or need proof of gender.

Havent attempted a pack out yet but would love to, however I wish there were some good how-to videos out there for guys that have know one to show them the ropes. Also what pack are you using for the pack out?

There are a bunch of good videos out there I will try to dig some up tonight

Molle pack frame....if you use a platform, that becomes your pack shelf...one trip

I saw one where a guy quartered out a mule deer. One of those Hush dudes I think. You have to ignore his breathing, it’s not as difficult as his respirations sound. Homeboy needs some cardio...lol...but it’s a good video in the subject

Plenty of videos out there. We used to drag deer 3+ miles. No fur left when we couldn’t use a game cart. It was a real affair. It was stupid.

I have packed several out now and it’s the only way to go. Wisconsin still doesn’t let us do it though.

Plenty of videos out there. We used to drag deer 3+ miles. No fur left when we couldn’t use a game cart. It was a real affair. It was stupid.

I have packed several out now and it’s the only way to go. Wisconsin still doesn’t let us do it though.
Check your regs. We can pack out just the meat in Wisconsin as of last year. No more 5 piece

Check your regs. We can pack out just the meat in Wisconsin as of last year. No more 5 piece

I really should read those... I didn’t get to any public land in Wisconsin last year so I didn’t have to worry about it. Thanks for the clarification.

I really should read those... I didn’t get to any public land in Wisconsin last year so I didn’t have to worry about it. Thanks for the clarification.
It is still up in the air for 2019. They havent finalized the 2019 regs. Last year they put out an emergency ruling to stop the spread of CWD...essentially allowing the transport of boned meat. Previously it was the 5 piece method.

I hope it stays. The regs did create some issues for taxidermists and meat processors. The 5 piece was better but not great. I would like to see them allow it for bear too. That is 5 piece only as of now

Look up Randy Newberg-field dressing deer, nice video on boning out deer without even field dressing them.

Unfortunately packing it out is not an option in Michigan, unless you want to pack out all the pieces too which kind of eliminates the advantage.

Deer Carcass Disposal
Dumping of deer carcasses or other wild animals is unlawful, can spread disease,
and may result in a ticket. Hunters who process their deer should properly
dispose of all parts. The hide, brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, bones, and
head should be disposed of in an approved landfill.

Back