• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Throw ball setup

bfriendly

So my cart is full with throw ball, line, foldable cube, ascender etc… I plan to do presets mostly, but could see where a throw ball setup could be just as easy, maybe easier in a situation. I guess my question is how elaborate are y’all’s throw ball setups? Do I really need a cube? Is it worth the investment? Can you just roll up line in a big figure 8 and lay it on a clear spot(obviously very clear spot) and let it feed upwards?
With ascender I’m at about $200 and prefer to wait……yeah right. I may go ahead and hit the submit button if say I take the cube back out and get more paracord.

I don’t know if it’ll work with throw ball line, but this is what I do with my pull up rope and never had an issue.

So my cart is full with throw ball, line, foldable cube, ascender etc… I plan to do presets mostly, but could see where a throw ball setup could be just as easy, maybe easier in a situation. I guess my question is how elaborate are y’all’s throw ball setups? Do I really need a cube? Is it worth the investment? Can you just roll up line in a big figure 8 and lay it on a clear spot(obviously very clear spot) and let it feed upwards?
With ascender I’m at about $200 and prefer to wait……yeah right. I may go ahead and hit the submit button if say I take the cube back out and get more paracord.
The cube makes it so much easier. It keeps the line from twisting and catching on every twig vine and leaf in the woods. I placed a small camping carabiner where mine folds and Velcros . I hang it off the back of my back pack and take it with me even when hunting presets in case I need to switch trees mid hunt. It’s not really that big or heavy but the aggravation you save by using one makes it worth it’s weight in gold in my opinion

Last edited:
The cube makes it so much easier. It keeps the line from twisting and catching on every twig vine and leaf in the woods. I placed a small camping carabiner where mine folds and Belford. I hang it off the back of my back pack and take it with me even when hunting presets in case I need to switch trees mid hunt. It’s not really that big or heavy but the aggravation you save by using one makes it worth it’s weight in gold in my opinion
I kinda figured it would. Especially since they fold up so compact even with the line and ball.

I figure 8 it and lay it out on my backpack or a coat when I throw. Works fine, I'm not messing with a cube. But I only carry about 75 feet and it kinda limits some trees I can get into. Biggest pain is gathering it all up again when you miss your first shot and it wraps around 37 laurel branches.

I like the cube, holds the throw line nicely. The only problem I have been trying to figure out is that my throw bag falls out when I fold it up.
I may just clip the bag to the cube with a biner and hook the biner to a Molly strap on my pack.

I carry a cube, 2 throwballs, and line in my pack all the time. Never know when I will find a tree I want to leave a preset in. After using a cube, coming from a dump pouch, I wouldn’t use a throw ball if I couldn’t use the cube.

I like the cube, holds the throw line nicely. The only problem I have been trying to figure out is that my throw bag falls out when I fold it up.
I may just clip the bag to the cube with a biner and hook the biner to a Molly strap on my pack.
I just reattach my throwball to the line when I’m done and set it in one of the inside pockets. Once it’s all folded up it can’t fall out or go anywhere

And most have little pockets inside too. You can store a few extra carabiners or some just in case prusiks ect…. I usually take that and 2 throw balls just in case one gets hung up and I gotta go retrieve it.
I got one hung up in this giant oak tree and then had to climb it with my platform and aiders to retrieve it. Worst climb of my life. I had to throw the platform buckle around and use an extra loop to hook it.

I got one hung up in this giant oak tree and then had to climb it with my platform and aiders to retrieve it. Worst climb of my life. I had to throw the platform buckle around and use an extra loop to hook it.
This is exactly why I keep a tether and linesman loop in my pack as well as an extra throwball in my throw cube. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. That second throwball gives me a chance to get up there or at least close enough to go retrieve my other throwball (or still hunt) Two tether climbing is easier than no sticking with a platform in my opinion. But ropes are by and far the easiest/safest method in my opinion. I also have another little trick for setting up an SRT rig without a throwball, or to set up a false crotch to Ddrt without using a throwball. I’ll have to film a video one day and show everyone how I do it. It’s pretty easy and doesnt add a ton of weight either.

Second the second throwball. I'm still not sure how I got one stuck where I did last season, but it ruined a whole afternoon dealing with it where if I'd just had a second throwball, it'd been a piece of cake.

Like the idea of a cube, but haven't gone that route because the tangle tends to be on misses more than anything or putting away and figure 8 solves the latter. Only more practice will solve the former issue.....

There is an SRT set up in the classifieds. Not mine, but might save you some $$$.

There is an SRT set up in the classifieds. Not mine, but might save you some $$$.
It’s gon….but I guess that stuff is not too crazy priced new. I appreciate all the feedback and willl be adding a second throw ball and a cube for sure!
Now for my rope, I’ll probably get resctech again(love it) but am unsure on minimum length. I doubt I’ll go over 40’ high branches, but not sure. I do see easily going over 30’, and since I’m going to be below where the rope goes over(what’s that called?) the limb or branch, I’m think 30’ minimum X2….so 60-80’ minimum. Right now I’m thinking 80’….thoughts?

Right now I have 40’ of resctech for my one sticking and I could see twice that much packing up nice and tidy….

I run 40'. If you're running SRT you can use your preset and/or your throw line to span the gap. Been one or two times I coulda used 5' more or so, but 40' has fit the bill for me. I haven't done any of the double rope techniques where you'd need line up and down. I'd say give that 40' a try and see if it works for you. Saving $$ for the win!

Right now I have 40’ of resctech for my one sticking and I could see twice that much packing up nice and tidy….
All you need is 40’. Tie paracord to the eye or the tri glide that you’re using to girth hitch the tree and you can use the paracord to pull the eye back down when you’re done.
Unless you plan to basal anchor. I don’t like basal anchors unless there is not other way to get a canopy anchor (ie too many branches in the way for a redirect). If the branch is strong enough for a basal anchor, it’s strong enough to DDrt on so why even purchase SRT equipment. Ddrt is cheaper and only requires a Blake’s hitch or two

Here's my throwball setup.

The cube is nice but its size requires a larger pack or needing to carry it in hand. This Molle pouch can attach to anything including your belt. Once I get to the tree, I flake the line out on the ground and tie my throwball with a slip knot (I think that's what it's called). When done, I wrap up the throwline as shown in the youtube video.

It's quick, small and lightweight.
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG

I've been using one of these. You flake the line in like you would a cube but it rolls up small enough to fit in a dump pouch.

Back