• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tired of bow shops. Building my own.

Ninja Vanish

Oct 29, 2019
Tennessee
Long story short, I hit my limit with my local shops. Taking matters into my own hands. Anyway, got around to building my workstation today. I sold a couple of guns to fund the whole venture. My EZ Press will be here tomorrow along with a chrono and a few small tools. Fletched up my first set of arrows yesterday on the Blitzenberger.

This is going to be a blast.

Imgur link to pics

tim_dawg22

Oct 7, 2018
Heck yeah man that’s awesome. Started collecting all the tools the last two years to do all my own work as well.

Didn’t really have any issues with my shop to speak of but it’s about an hour drive.

I have really enjoyed it. I like to tinker with stuff so it’s therapeutic for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Droptine85.mt

Razorbak66

Oct 17, 2019
Congrats..personal home bow shop is the way to go..i learned alot by reading and watching utube videos and alot of trial and error

LeanMachine

Sep 28, 2018
I have a quality local shop and i still go the diy route. Lets be serious, most "pro" shops are employed by joe blow that went through a weekend of education. With the internet and some common sense, a fella can sure save himself some time and money.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Droptine85.mt

Jrybicki

Sep 11, 2019
Nice setup! I finally pulled the trigger on my own press this weekend after putting it on the back burner and just making do with bow adjustments for the last 3 years. When I still lived in MI, I had a family friend that had a pro shop so I never had a need. Since then, it has been hard finding someone I felt comfortable working on my stuff, or would let me use their equipment. Look forward to seeing yours once it's set up and gets some use!

Ninja Vanish

Oct 29, 2019
Tennessee
If anyone is interested in the plans, shoot me a PM and I'll share the PDF with you. I'm no carpenter and was able to complete it in an afternoon even with two little ones running around me the whole time. I did have access to a miter saw which helped tremendously. The whole thing can easily be done for <$150, especially if you already have some of the material around.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
In many shops, if you do anything differently than how they do it, then they will subtly crap on it in front of other customers/range users to cement in their minds why they all need the pro shop.

Reactions: Biscuit

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
Good luck. I’ve been struggling with the decision to build one myself. I’m also back and forth on switching to trad gear at which point a press would be worthless.

shamus275

SH Member
Nov 1, 2019
Bought all the tools and gadgets years ago...best decision I’ve ever made. It’s a learning experience for sure but once you have everything, you can do anything you want and tune until you’re blue in face. It took my archery to another level once I built my own shop. Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Jrybicki

Nate

Sep 10, 2017
Shops around the country sure must be bad. My father in law owns a small one in a very small town and is top notch in everything. He barely gets any business because of his location and the archery side of things is his secondary business actually. I can’t imagine shops like the ones that are described (but yet I hear it over and over). I swear he loses money by how much time he puts into each customer that walks in.

neonomad

SH Member
Sep 4, 2019
Shops around the country sure must be bad. My father in law owns a small one in a very small town and is top notch in everything. He barely gets any business because of his location and the archery side of things is his secondary business actually. I can’t imagine shops like the ones that are described (but yet I hear it over and over). I swear he loses money by how much time he puts into each customer that walks in.
As long as it takes me to dial a bow in, I’ve definitely thought it would be challenging to charge by the hour.

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
In many shops, if you do anything differently than how they do it, then they will subtly crap on it in front of other customers/range users to cement in their minds why they all need the pro shop.
I live near Houston Texas, and I have dealt with d-bag bow shop owners over the years, but there are a couple of shops within 30 minutes of my house that have awesome techs. I think that a secretary that types 10 hours a day is going to be better at typing than me, even if I can spell better than her. I am blessed with high volume PRO archery shops around me. When you set up 50 Mathews vxr bows a day, repetition truly makes you an expert if you actually have a decent work ethic.

Ninja Vanish

Oct 29, 2019
Tennessee
I live near Houston Texas, and I have dealt with d-bag bow shop owners over the years, but there are a couple of shops within 30 minutes of my house that have awesome techs. I think that a secretary that types 10 hours a day is going to be better at typing than me, even if I can spell better than her. I am blessed with high volume PRO archery shops around me. When you set up 50 Mathews vxr bows a day, repetition truly makes you an expert if you actually have a decent work ethic.

That's the thing, archery around my neck of the woods plays a very distant second fiddle to rifle hunting. There just aren't any shops around that get the demand for truly expert techs. It seems their knowledge is simply based around tying peeps and d loops, shooting through paper, and getting them out the door so they can sell more guns.

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
What shop is setting up 50 bows a day, much less 50 of one particular model? A busy day for me might have been 10 or 12 tops, plus minor stuff like reserving peeps and general sales stuff.

Every shop I've ever been to down here would slit their firstborn's throat for that kinda volume.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
That's the thing, archery around my neck of the woods plays a very distant second fiddle to rifle hunting. There just aren't any shops around that get the demand for truly expert techs. It seems their knowledge is simply based around tying peeps and d loops, shooting through paper, and getting them out the door so they can sell more guns.

Local shop tech told me last month that you should never bottom any compound bow out, but should always leave a few turns off the bottom. He was very insistent, but that hasn't been true for years. The limbs and pockets now pivot together for most bows (instead of the limb pivoting independently on a rocker) and the limb is always bottomed out in the pocket but riding on a screw.

Last edited:

Kurt

Nov 1, 2018
Massachusetts
Well, I have to disagree a little. I have a great work ethic, and I have a crappy golf swing, I hit a ton of balls but can't play golf worth a darn. It's not the repetition that makes you an expert. It's a solid and accurate knowledge of the subject, and a physical ability to apply such knowledge with precision and consistent repetition. Practice doesn't make perfect..... Perfect practice makes perfect. I do hear what your saying, you'd think that someone who does a bunch of something should have a greater familiarity with the subject of their work. Volume and quality do not always go hand in hand.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
My local shop is decent....the ''bow tech'' has parents that were into Olympic style shooting.....so he's resl good at setting up the bow but has limited hunting experience....they push the lightweight fast arrow mentality an if you aren't into that they really aren't helpfully at all. I have a bow press on the list of things I need to make and learn to use....I don't like relying on other people. I felt pressured to buy something I don't really want or need eveytime is go in there so I just stopped going

Reactions: Red Beard