• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Total fletching frustration

katiesmom

SH Member
I have a Bitzenberger jig, over 25 years old. Used for compound arrows and trad arrows. No problems.

Until yesterday. Fletching my GT trad shafts, left wing 4 in feathers. Using the left jig, and 120 degree 3 fletch. Used both glue and tape. Set screw for the 120 had to be screwed in tighter than flush ( as instructions read). I fletched and turned the shaft.
And I get two fletchs too far apart. See pic, bottom 2 feathers.20220825_105137.jpg
At one point, I started from scratch with instructions step by step. No good. Same problem.

Is it possible that the set screw for 120 has stripped out? Seeing that I have to crank it down so far? Is it time for a new fletching jig?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Can you run the 120 degree screw in further still? are the other two screws backed out pretty far also? it seems like the ball detent that the set screw applies pressure to skipped that 120 degree stop and another one engaged after that, one of the four fletch options. I would back the other two screws out more and tighten down the 120 degree one some more and then rotate an unfletched arrow and use a sharpie to mark where the clamp is at the three stops and see if it gets better. if that dosen't fix it I suggest four fletch...j/k but that would exhaust my limited experience and knowledge. hopefully you find it useful.

Okay here are pics. All settings are the result of painstakingly following all written instructions. The clamp is left and the knob is left.
20220825_121818.jpg20220825_121827.jpg20220825_121832.jpg
Above. Left to right, set screw, bottom adjust, top adjust.

20220825_121921.jpg
From the top.

Okay here are pics. All settings are the result of painstakingly following all written instructions. The clamp is left and the knob is left.
View attachment 70020View attachment 70021View attachment 70022
Above. Left to right, set screw, bottom adjust, top adjust.

View attachment 70023
From the top.
Those set screw setting look like they should be sufficient to index the arrow correctly. not sure if it's possible/advisable to disassemble the index knob and see if something has gotten in there and buggered something up. I would go ahead and try and index and arrow marking the clamp position and see if it's indexing consistently and accurately. if it's not then something has gone haywire, what that is I'm uncertain of.

Can you run the 120 degree screw in further still? are the other two screws backed out pretty far also? it seems like the ball detent that the set screw applies pressure to skipped that 120 degree stop and another one engaged after that, one of the four fletch options. I would back the other two screws out more and tighten down the 120 degree one some more and then rotate an unfletched arrow and use a sharpie to mark where the clamp is at the three stops and see if it gets better. if that dosen't fix it I suggest four fletch...j/k but that would exhaust my limited experience and knowledge. hopefully you find it useful.

I will try that.

Those set screw setting look like they should be sufficient to index the arrow correctly. not sure if it's possible/advisable to disassemble the index knob and see if something has gotten in there and buggered something up. I would go ahead and try and index and arrow marking the clamp position and see if it's indexing consistently and accurately. if it's not then something has gone haywire, what that is I'm uncertain of.

I cranked the 120 set screw down to the point I could barely rotate the knob. It's also happening with my straight knob.

My fallback position is a new jig on eBay for 70 bucks....lol.

I'm just starting out with my Bitz so take my $.02 with that in mind...

I'd suggest removing your indexer and inspecting it for wear. Actually, strip the whole thing down and clean and inspect it. Use a magnet, or magnetic parts tray, to keep the springs and detent ball bearings from vanishing. If the detent dimples are wallowed out or gunked up you might be able to re-function it by cleaning it, or (gently!) using a drill bit to deepen the dimples. If there's gunk or corrosion in the spring or detent or whatever, clean it out and re-assemble it. I doubt the threads are stripped out but if they are - it's made out of zinc after all - you can probably re-tap it the next size up, or Helicoil it. A gunsmith or machinist would be able to do that pretty easily. I just tore mine down to see why it won't 4-fletch and discovered that I only have 120-degree detent dimples on my indexer.

If that doesn't fix your problem, I saw a Zenith Archery Bitzenberger Upgrade Kit which replaces your indexer. Or just get a replacement factory indexer from Bitzenberger or an archery shop. While a whack of cash, is less than a new Bitz. I haven't tried this, though, so can't speak to how well it works.

On that note, you might just call Bitzenberger and see what they say. I understand their customer service is pretty good.

Round 2.
I cranked the 120 set screw down about 2 turns. The other two are backed out. It was more stiff to turn the knob. Below are 3 pics where I marked around the shaft as @krub6b suggested. They look even to me. What say you?
20220825_134044.jpg20220825_134122.jpg20220825_133954.jpg

The next stop is fletching a shaft.

That looks close, its hard to say with photos though. I would rotate it around a few times and make sure it holds that spacing

If I remember correctly (and don't count on that!) I think bitz indexers have 2 different thicknesses of the piece the nock fits on to. If you have the "wrong" one, your nocks will be sloppy in the receiver. That would effect the alignment.
Does that sound familiar to you bitz guys?

If I remember correctly (and don't count on that!) I think bitz indexers have 2 different thicknesses of the piece the nock fits on to. If you have the "wrong" one, your nocks will be sloppy in the receiver. That would effect the alignment.
I think that is correct.

Mine is a little sloppy with GT nocks. I push the shaft down slightly and turn the shaft to the left so it’s snug before installing a fletch. I used to run a few Jojan’s when I sold arrows. They have their own set of issues but I found them pretty easy to use. I always wanted to try one of them German fletching jigs ( Bodnik)?

Mine is a little sloppy with GT nocks. I push the shaft down slightly and turn the shaft to the left so it’s snug before installing a fletch. I used to run a few Jojan’s when I sold arrows. They have their own set of issues but I found them pretty easy to use. I always wanted to try one of them German fletching jigs ( Bodnik)?
I've never tried that Zenith upgrade unit, but it replaces the indexer. You take the nock off and a peg goes inside the arrow shaft so wobble from a loose nock. I don't think I'm going to fletch enough arrows to make it worthwhile; if I need to adjust my nock engagement I'll use painter's tape or a dedicated nock or something.

Make sure your nock isn't sliding down in the cradle. I know this is a problem with jo-jan Fletchers. But not anything major if you pay attention to while fletching

Okay, so I went back and fletched 2 arrows with the jig set up from my last post, as suggested.

Then I took them out and shot them along with 2 arrows I fletched about 6 months ago

All four arrows flew the same. Straight, with no wobbles. No nocks out of place, like high or low, left or right. Soooo I think the problem is solved at least for now.

I will probably get a new Bitz jig anyway so I can use all the clamps I have.

Thank you all SO MUCH for helping me!! ❤️

Back