• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree seats as platforms?

TeddyKGBee

Hi guys- Just trying this out for the first time. I have been rock climbing for years and have a lot of the gear that I need. I ordered the Sit Drag and will be outfitting it this weekend with all of my ropes. I was looking into platforms and would like to eventually create portable and packable DIY. For now though, I wanted to see what was commercially available (on the cheap). I saw that there are a few versions of tree seats out there and I couldn't find any posts where people have tried them. Any experience or thoughts on the following or similar products?

Summit "The Stump": http://a.co/d/fRkZjWC
Muddy Ultimate: http://a.co/d/eEgR8Y4

Thanks!

I think you could make them work. The issue is side pressure when leaning out to either side.

I was looking at that too and thought it would work. But couldn't find a place to see it first hand. As mentioned above side pressure will be the test. If it candle side pressure your toast.

That one has been tried repeatedly by people on here. I think the majority have not been satisfied. That doesn't mean some one hasn't figured out a way to make it work. Search the seat name on here I think that will lead to the info you want.

That one has been tried repeatedly by people on here. I think the majority have not been satisfied. That doesn't mean some one hasn't figured out a way to make it work. Search the seat name on here I think that will lead to the info you want.
It looks like it would not be stable laterally in particular.

I have a Hawk for that purpose and have tried it out. It weighs almost 8#, it's cumbersome to set up but fairly stable if you crank it down. I'd sell mine for a lot less than $56.

I am experimenting with a Chippewa Wedge Loc groundhog ground seat for a platform and it installs easily and gives a large standing area. The company is in process of being sold unfortunately.

Back