• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

treehopper step timber hitched with flat webbing?

raisins

SH Member
Please critique this idea, before I waste money (but I will only buy one step at first).

I want ultralight. I have Silent Approach steps but don't like them.

My idea:

get tree hopper steps

get flat webbing (nylon probably but if polyester will grip onto itself better I'll use this) wide enough to fill the step slot

https://www.strapworks.com/Flat_Nylon_Webbing_p/fnw1.htm

I am avoiding thicker tubular webbing, the flat stuff is strong enough

Tie an overhand knot to make a loop in the webbing

and then do this timber hitch with the webbing back onto itself. basically, put the tag through the loop, pull tight, go around the webbing a few times, and you can even finish with a half hitch at the end (which hopefully wouldn't get tight)

This eliminates the metal buckle and means you can have 12 steps that only weigh around 4 pounds (each step is 4 oz plus a pound or less for straps). The flat webbing will help keep the step flat to the tree if hit from below and should generally be more stable (I think rope would let them dangle a bit and also not go through the step slot well).

Last edited:
Please critique this idea, before I waste money (but I will only buy one step at first).

My idea:

get tree hopper steps

get flat webbing (nylon probably but if polyester will grip onto itself better I'll use this) wide enough to fill the step slot

and then do this timber hitch with the webbing back onto itself. basically, put the tag through the loop, pull tight, go around the webbing a few times, and you can even finish with a half hitch at the end (which hopefully wouldn't get tight)

This eliminates the metal buckle and means you can have 12 steps that only weigh around 4 pounds (each step is 4 oz plus a pound or less for straps). The flat webbing will help deep the step flat to the tree if hit from below and should generally be more stable.
I like your idea. Like you said, I would get just one. Nutter did said something in the end of the video about not liking the flat strap material, but it was how the timber hitch wraps up onto itself with the flat strap material. I think with your plan to wrap the tree a few times and tie it back onto itself, you should be good. It's just figuring out the prefect length of strap. Good idea. Go for it. Follow up with what you come up with.

I just bought 16 of the tree hopper steps. 11 or 12 to climb 4 or 5 for ring of steps. I had the Ameristeps before and a Cranfords. I tried everything...whoopie sling...daisy chain...timber hitch and cam buckle strap. Nothing worked as good as the cam buckle strap. After I get these steps I’ll buy the cam buckle straps from silent approach and then I think I’ll have an awesome run and gun set up that’s light and sturdy.

I’m currently messing with ameristeps and the button runner daisy chain. Finished the first one today an I’m digging it for climbing. I’ll know more when I finish a few more.

Can anyone compare the size of the treehopper steps to the ameristeps? Big difference?

The “Button Runner”. A 0.8 oz silent step attachment. **EDIT** read warning
[/URL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m currently messing with ameristeps and the button runner daisy chain. Finished the first one today an I’m digging it for climbing. I’ll know more when I finish a few more.

Can anyone compare the size of the treehopper steps to the ameristeps? Big difference?

The “Button Runner”. A 0.8 oz silent step attachment. **EDIT** read warning
[/URL]

I have a set of Treehopper steps. They are an improvement over the ameristeps. The step has more grip might be a little wider. (Not sure... going off memory. Sold all my ameristeps.) They seem to be around the same size. The treehopper have grip on the backside so they aren’t gonna slide as much as the ameristeps. They are very solid in the tree. They also fit together nice and snug for packing. Love them as a ring of steps. I will not use single steps as a climbing method. To “strappy” for me. I will stick with climbing sticks.

...Can anyone compare the size of the treehopper steps to the ameristeps? Big difference?
I can post a pic and dimensions later this morning.
Here is one pic of the Treehopper and a broken Ameristep after a strength test. I will post more pics later.
e318fad5f63268fdb1b9d17ff0b205d9.jpg

Last edited:
Mule tape might be a good option for what you are trying to accomplish.

what made that ameristep break like that?
It broke during Mark's testing of strength.
The Ameristep broke around 300 (or 400 pounds at the most) if I remember correctly.
The Treehopper held up at over 1,000 as shown in this pic...

3ea2c275b6e48e4f68f3790ae3dec4ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It broke during Mark's testing of strength.
The Ameristep broke around 300 (or 400 pounds at the most) if I remember correctly.
The Treehopper held up at over 1,000 as shown in this pic...

3ea2c275b6e48e4f68f3790ae3dec4ca.jpg

And BTW, that was NOT a recall step.

My idea:

get tree hopper steps

This eliminates the metal buckle and means you can have 12 steps that only weigh around 4 pounds (each step is 4 oz plus a pound or less for straps). The flat webbing will help keep the step flat to the tree if hit from below and should generally be more stable (I think rope would let them dangle a bit and also not go through the step slot well).
I always thought the timber hitch looked a little sketchy but I dragged a 30' log out of the woods w/a nylon rope timber hitched and was impressed. No more hook to break on my skidder rope.

wow. where was the weight attached? near the base or at the end of the step?
Mark used 2.5" wide webbing and had it out towards the end, but it was in the same position for both steps so the comparison is relative.
And he told me that his scale maxes out at ~1,000 pounds so he doesn't really even know exactly how much over 1,000 lbs the Treehopper break strength is. Pretty impressive.
I'll post a size comparison by noon today.

I just bought 16 of the tree hopper steps. 11 or 12 to climb 4 or 5 for ring of steps. I had the Ameristeps before and a Cranfords. I tried everything...whoopie sling...daisy chain...timber hitch and cam buckle strap. Nothing worked as good as the cam buckle strap. After I get these steps I’ll buy the cam buckle straps from silent approach and then I think I’ll have an awesome run and gun set up that’s light and sturdy.

Can you expand more on the issue with the timber hitch? Did you timber hitch with rope or webbing? What didn't you like?

Can you expand more on the issue with the timber hitch? Did you timber hitch with rope or webbing? What didn't you like?

the timber hitch never would get tight with the strap that came with the cranfords plus wrapping that around several times was time consuming and a pain against the ruff bark of like a choke cherry.

the timber hitch never would get tight with the strap that came with the cranfords plus wrapping that around several times was time consuming and a pain against the ruff bark of like a choke cherry.

We should all put our heads together until we find something that works as well as a cam buckle but isn't made of steel and so heavy. Right now, those cam buckles are as heavy as the step. If you do away with the cam buckle, then 12 of those treehoppers only weight 3 lbs (going off specs from manufacturer). Adding cam buckle straps about doubles that (which just seems nuts for some reason).

Maybe we need the rope mod/versa button version for steps, perhaps, not exactly like that but similar in being able to torque on a strap or rope and then not lose that tension as you go about locking it in.

Size comparison...

a0bc37f94a1e768257b0864e3fffd711.jpg
2e28882c97a09f89ea627315683e1224.jpg
6cc77c34eda21991b7930d74cb9746e5.jpg

Thanks for the pics and info. I didn't know about the different breaking strengths when i started buying ameristeps recently for next season. I understand the treehopper is probably the stronger, but do you think I should be concerned about climbing on the ameristeps? I weigh 185 and will be careful about keeping my foot close to the base and never on the end of the step.

Thanks for the pics and info. I didn't know about the different breaking strengths when i started buying ameristeps recently for next season. I understand the treehopper is probably the stronger, but do you think I should be concerned about climbing on the ameristeps? I weigh 185 and will be careful about keeping my foot close to the base and never on the end of the step.
To each his own, but I'm not afraid of the recall steps. But I don't climb with them. I only use them for an extra step on my platforms.
But there is more to the Treehopper step than just strength. They are more stable on the tree and also stack.
Plus they are readily available right now. No cruising classifieds to find them.

We should all put our heads together until we find something that works as well as a cam buckle but isn't made of steel and so heavy.
So, I shared this thread with Mark, and as usual, he gets right on it.
Too soon to say for sure but it looks like he may experiment with his "Speed buckle" like he designed on the belt for the Recon sling.
Yeah, they are metal, but they are much lighter than the cam buckle and would pack smaller.
Let's see what he comes up with.

Back