• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trouble with Hawk Helium steps and customer service

diuilin

Has anyone else had trouble with the HH 20-inch steps sticking together so firmly that you can hardly get them apart? Finally, as I pulled them apart, the smaller button actually broke off inside the bigger one. In my picture, you can see the one on the right broken off and stuck inside the button on the left. I'm 60 and not a big guy, so I figured I just had to pull extra hard. I didn't think I'd be capable of breaking them.

I've e-mailed customer service with pictures, but they don't get back to me. I called and left a phone number (since they suggested that) but they haven't called back. I'm mostly one-sticking, so I don't generally want the whole set. But I paid enough money for them, and I'd like to have the option. Getting a little fed up with them.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Has anyone else had trouble with the HH 20-inch steps sticking together so firmly that you can hardly get them apart? Finally, as I pulled them apart, the smaller button actually broke off inside the bigger one. I'm 60 and not a big guy, so I figured I just had to pull extra hard. I didn't think I'd be capable of breaking them.

I've e-mailed customer service with pictures, but they don't get back to me. I called and left a phone number (since they suggested that) but they haven't called back. I'm mostly one-sticking, so I don't generally want the whole set. But I paid enough money for them, and I'd like to have the option. Getting a little fed up with them.
The smaller buttons began breaking on mine after very minimal use. I've heard nothing but bad things about their customer service so I think I'm going another route. I've found some videos on the two options below and they seem to be better than Hawk's original equipment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Their customer service is bad now. No one picks up the phone or answers emails. I bought a tree umbrella straight from them (don't buy one, it stinks). It came with the box sliced up and taped back together (obvious return item). It took weeks to get them to agree to return it. And then after the return, it took months to credit my account back.

I had sent them a pic of one bracket bolt drilled pretty close to the edge and asked if it was a safety concern. That was over a month ago, no reply. As for the buttons, I removed the male and sanded them down for better fit(looser).

The smaller buttons began breaking on mine after very minimal use. I've heard nothing but bad things about their customer service so I think I'm going another route. I've found some videos on the two options below and they seem to be better than Hawk's original equipment.

Thanks for those two tips. If Dan-O is selling it, it's got to be good. But I like the looks of the stick mule setup: seems like it would be easier to climb that way.

I broke two of my male ends after the sticks had been in the cold for a while. I agree they are nice but they are almost impossible to get a part when its cold. I recently used a dremel with a grinding wheel that was about the same size as the male side and "plunge cut" the female side with it. Now my sticks stay together pretty well and they come apart easily. I use a gear tie to keep them together when packing them in just to make sure they don't make a ton of noise. I've heard the stick mule is a bear to get on the sticks and I thought about using the black suction cups but they make the sticks too far apart for my liking.

I emailed their customer service no response, but I call and talked to a rep told them what was going on with cups and the sticks were new .
Was told i should have new ends in 7 to 10 day we shall see been 7 days now. I would try calling them if for a fast response.

I emailed their customer service no response, but I call and talked to a rep told them what was going on with cups and the sticks were new .
Was told i should have new ends in 7 to 10 day we shall see been 7 days now. I would try calling them if for a fast response.
sounds like I'll be making a call on Monday. We'll see where we get.

I called Hawk Customer Service today, and they are going to replace my Hawk Mini Sticks since the suction cups were breaking.

With all the hawk horror stories I’m surprised they would send you brand new sticks. Are they making you return the old ones?
They're asking me to return the old ones with the broken suction cups with proof of purchase so they can verify the purchase date. Once received, they're supposed to send me the new sticks. We'll see?!

I’d be nervous sending the whole stick in. I don’t have first hand knowledge but I’ve read in different reviews and posts that guys have waited months for replacement parts for stands and such. I’d maybe ask them to just send you new cups. At least you don’t give up the stick.
Please keep the post updated. I have a stick that’s broke but figured it wasn’t worth the time to even try. I reamed the other ones out and gear tie them.

I’d be nervous sending the whole stick in. I don’t have first hand knowledge but I’ve read in different reviews and posts that guys have waited months for replacement parts for stands and such. I’d maybe ask them to just send you new cups. At least you don’t give up the stick.
Please keep the post updated. I have a stick that’s broke but figured it wasn’t worth the time to even try. I reamed the other ones out and gear tie them.
I asked them about just sending the parts that I needed, but they said that they did not have those parts readily available so they would have to send me new sticks. The return authorization number is good for thirty days so I'll be waiting a few more weeks to send them in. Trying to get a few more hunts in before I send them. I'll update after I send them in.

Hawk got my last dime last season. The suction cups breaking has been a known issue since they first came out last year. Mine came with 3 or 4 broken ones out of the box last season. Ended up selling them and have Novix minis now that are more packable and better quality.

Mine broke just like yours. I haven’t tried customer service yet, but I plan to. Keep us posted if you get anywhere with them.

Hawk customer service might be the all time worst. They basically stole money from me, in my opinion, on two products. It's a shame, because I liked both products. They basically told me to find my own replacement bolts for my cart at hardware store, and sponge painting my helium sticks voided the warranty, even though a brand new stick failed me. Never again with hawk.

Hawk got my last dime last season. The suction cups breaking has been a known issue since they first came out last year. Mine came with 3 or 4 broken ones out of the box last season. Ended up selling them and have Novix minis now that are more packable and better quality.
I think mine only lasted two hunts before they started breaking.

I noticed the smaller buttons on mine showed signs of stress right out of the box - the smaller button looked like it was torqued at installation....jad a white line where the stem of the male button attached to the larger part.
I bouth 2 sets and one was nearly impossible to get apart, so I took a razor and trimmed some rubber from the inside of the female button - they are snug but usable. I don't mind if they are a littele loose since I use voile straps to lash to my pack

So I am starting to have second thoughts about sending my mini sticks off as stated in the previous post. As stated before, I was told that I could send the sticks with the broken buttons in for replacement sticks, but I would more than likely get the same quality buttons back and have the same issues. Should I just keep my current sticks and buy the replacement suction cups or stick mule system? What is the consensus of the group?

Back