• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey Talk

Jwiggins762

Bama opener was Saturday, it had been 20+ years since the last time I went and my dad took me. I ended up setting up 30 yards from some scratching I found the day prior. Found a tree and was letting the woods wake up and next thing I know I hear dogs barking going crazy. In about 10 to 15 mins here comes 2 does and 2 dogs not far behind. I got up and went else where. Ended up at a south alabama hilly oak bottom between a swamp and a thicket. Walking slow and doing some soft yelps with the mouth call, even tried the box call for the loud cutting and yelps and wasn't hearing anything. Finally I decided to give some loud cuts and yelps on the mouth call and right after gobbles. I thought some hunters were messing with me because the gobbles came from the other side of the swamp. I did it again right after and didn't hear anything so I decided to setup just in case. About 5 to 10 minutes later I heard what sounded like a person walking through the swamp, and thought this guy is taking it to the next level if this isn't a turkey. Then I see red heads, waited for him go behind a tree and moved my barrel about 4 or 5 inches and just seen his head on the back side of the tree. Instead of shooting I wanted him to take another step or two out from the tree and unfortunately he must have seen me because he got spooked. As he was walking away I decided to take a shot through an opening I had. Missed, then they flew out of my life back into the swamp. This morning I setup on some fresh sign next to some private and heard gobbles as the day broke. Couldn't get them to come in but man it was a great first weekend of this new addiction of mine. I know its new but i think I've had more fun this weekend hunting turkeys than I've had ever hunting deer. I put to much pressure on myself when hunting deer instead of just having fun. I think and hope it will change my mind set on hunting deer. Any one have any luck or encounters this year with turkeys yet?

1 central FL Osceola down

No gobbling and very little activity but he walked in to my decoys (2 hens and 1/4 strut jake) an hr after daylight & I couldn’t get gun on him before he got too close

I made a move, he hauled butt & I missed rolling him on the run

He flew into the swamp and must’ve landed in a tree

Then a couple hens came out 10min later and fed about 20yds away

Tom flew back down and stayed at 120yds

The he cut the distance to 50 but hid in dog fennel and stared at decoys for 20min as hens fed among them

He finally got brave and walked towards the live hens

This time I was ready for him and shot him in the face

52478638a7d1a1262a89c8df7427f5e9.jpg

4fc5d2a9a2bb28f10d3258945ae2ae60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Those dogs and deer won't scare the turkey off. Just stay quiet for a bit and give some soft searching clucks about 5-10 minutes after the dogs leave. Besides that awesome freaking weekend. I went and pulled cards today and ran into 20+ birds 4 were in strut. On a farm I don't have turkey hunting rights on.

Went to the Farm I hunt to set a few presets for the fall. I had some sticks from my old tree stands just lying around. So set those to make a few more easier. Any way got out of the truck and heard 3-4 gobblers across the road. My permit isn't until the 24 of April. Hopefully they are still fired up.

Bama opener was Saturday, it had been 20+ years since the last time I went and my dad took me. I ended up setting up 30 yards from some scratching I found the day prior. Found a tree and was letting the woods wake up and next thing I know I hear dogs barking going crazy. In about 10 to 15 mins here comes 2 does and 2 dogs not far behind. I got up and went else where. Ended up at a south alabama hilly oak bottom between a swamp and a thicket. Walking slow and doing some soft yelps with the mouth call, even tried the box call for the loud cutting and yelps and wasn't hearing anything. Finally I decided to give some loud cuts and yelps on the mouth call and right after gobbles. I thought some hunters were messing with me because the gobbles came from the other side of the swamp. I did it again right after and didn't hear anything so I decided to setup just in case. About 5 to 10 minutes later I heard what sounded like a person walking through the swamp, and thought this guy is taking it to the next level if this isn't a turkey. Then I see red heads, waited for him go behind a tree and moved my barrel about 4 or 5 inches and just seen his head on the back side of the tree. Instead of shooting I wanted him to take another step or two out from the tree and unfortunately he must have seen me because he got spooked. As he was walking away I decided to take a shot through an opening I had. Missed, then they flew out of my life back into the swamp. This morning I setup on some fresh sign next to some private and heard gobbles as the day broke. Couldn't get them to come in but man it was a great first weekend of this new addiction of mine. I know its new but i think I've had more fun this weekend hunting turkeys than I've had ever hunting deer. I put to much pressure on myself when hunting deer instead of just having fun. I think and hope it will change my mind set on hunting deer. Any one have any luck or encounters this year with turkeys yet?
Be extremely careful about calling while walking. Its a good way to get shot.
If I'm not mistaken, in some states it not legal to call unless you are stationary??

If I'm not mistaken, in some states it not legal to call unless you are stationary??

I'm sure this does happen so it's certainly worth mentioning but any hunter that will shoot at a hen call doesn't deserve to live (yes that is harsh but that's how I feel). Not even legal to shoot hens in the spring most places.

We are still two plus weeks away from our spring turkey opener. @Jwiggins762 sounds like an awesome first weekend. I love turkey hunting for about two weeks and then I burn out and it gets old.

I have had people stalk up to me while calling from a stationary position so that doesn't help either. It gets interesting trying to signal a guy that is sneaking up on your calling with a gun raised and aimed in your direction. I agree with gators comments !

I'm sure this does happen so it's certainly worth mentioning but any hunter that will shoot at a hen call doesn't deserve to live (yes that is harsh but that's how I feel). Not even legal to shoot hens in the spring most places.

We are still two plus weeks away from our spring turkey opener. @Jwiggins762 sounds like an awesome first weekend. I love turkey hunting for about two weeks and then I burn out and it gets old.
It's not about whether the feller doing the shooting deserves to live; it's about whether the feller getting shot is going to live!! I wouldn't gobble or jake yelp on public land, but maybe I'm just over-sensitive to being shot (if that's even possible!).

I believe PA prohibits hunting turkeys while on the move, as do some other states. Know the regs in your area, and most importantly, be safe out there!

Yes definitely know the regs because the other guy probably doesn't lol My point is you don't have to be moving I have been peppered with shot twice while sitting and didn't see the guy sneaking in I did have a jake decoy out and because I always try to sit with a tree wider than my shoulders didn't get the whole pattern thankfully. The only way to be totally safe while turkey hunting is don't !!!

183DCEF1-800E-4E2B-918B-B694CEE90893.jpegPlayed hooky from work yesterday morning and took our VP and his dad out. Had 3 gobblers in the setup by 7:05am. The one on left was his my bosses first gobbler and his dad hadn’t killed one 20+ years. Their reactions with each other made that hunt something special to be part of.

Wish I could turkey hunt as early as some of you guys. Our season is still about a month out. Need to get out and sight in/pattern my new .410 setup. Stevens 301 .410, Tru Glo Gobble Stopper red dot, and Apex Ninja TSS. Think i'm going to try the stock choke for now. But people say it's hit or miss on whether you get one that patterns well. Looking at a Jebs Head Hunter if the factory choke doesn't work out. But it's half the price of the gun itself ha.

Road birds making their presence known lately. Alway where I can't hunt lol. Broke out the wingbone call to mess with these birds just so I can hear some gobbles.
d05f4b4490884b5a94cd0e423ded1ef2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Send your wings too me please and thank you! I'm looking to get a stash of turkey wings for fletching arrows. I process and burn them.

Back