• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Update on my wellness Mentally and Physically

Robert loper

SH Member
Honesty and trustworthiness is how i live
Well went to the Dr today and I need to lose about 80 Pounds and for my mental Illness I've been subscribed an Anti Depressant which is all a pretty big punch in the throat. Not to feel sorry for myself or anything . Believe me I'm tougher on myself than anyone.
I am super concerned that I once again have been put on another depression medicine because on top of quitting smoking in 2017 and the Anti Depressants I was on till around 2019 I put the 80 lbs. on.
In 2017 and 2018 I was also on testosterone treatment which I have been told probably added to this effect.
I not making excuse either I was not the most healthiest eater during this time frame but i was and still am very active.

This hunting season is pretty much past it's midway point and I have had very little time to get out. When I do have time I am so tired or unmotivated to do so I go very little. This year so far has pretty much been a complete dud to me . we do have another good 2 -1/2 months left of season but i just hope I can get something going to get out.
I put a ton of pressure on myself when it comes to hunting and I did it so bad this year my family actually had a kind of intervention with me.
It was not about hunting it was about almost everything and in short I promised i would take a complete break from the woods till after turkey week.
early season I did completely miss a giant slick head and few weeks ago i had an awesome encounter going in blind to an area I never was before.
This was exciting but, after that My mental illness for some reason took a complete crap. the darkness ad sadness just seemed to devour me.
The complete emptiness I was feeling almost every day has just about cost me everything close to me.
It is so Important to me to try to help others be successful and try to spread my knowledge through my experiences so others can learn from my mistakes.
Its been tough to do that just because I am super selective on what I am going to shoot. People always say or ask me " do you have a room of heads ? Do you ever kill anything? I always just smirk and say " Nope I'm just that bad at tree selection lol

I am definitely a bit too selective. I am not going to kill deer just to show people look what I killed. that's not good for really anyone.
If I do kill a deer I want to share how I put the puzzle together and show how they can also use what I did and maybe have that success themselves.
Not everything with me is about monetization, free products, or sponsorships, I've seen a ton of great platforms fall to the all might dollar hook.
The struggle I go through from finding where, why ,and when a certain buck uses or frequents an area doesn't come overnight or even over a season.
The process can take several seasons and Its this journey and struggle both physically and Mentally I love But, is really exhausting and to be honest I have a full time job like most and can not hunt or scout 7 days a week like very little of us can.
I do think I get burned out earlier than I did in my youth but I still love to chase and figure out how I can stay a step ahead of deer.
the hunting bug is burning still but, I do believe its a motivation thing coming from physical and Mental illness.
Why ? I just do not know and people who suffer from it know this why do i feel like this feeling.
If I knew why or what cause it we would probably be able to cure it, This is just something I need to deal with and keep fighting it.

My question is to you my friends I do not want to be on any kind of Fad diet I've tried them all.
I need low to no sugar recipes, meal measurements (portions) and very good tasting healthy things for 3 small meals and 2 quick snacks
Ive joined the gym and my subscription starts Monday so me and my cousin will be going 3 days a week.
My info is this
290lbs

Anyone with quick easy food prep meals easy snacks please hit me up and let me know how I can help myself with my food intake.
Portions for me need help
carb intake needs to be less
sugar intake i think should be next to nothing
balanced protein so I'm not bloated all day
Guys and gals thanks everyone for all the kind words in my first post awhile ago and thank you so much for any advice or help given to me
My goal for next September 1st is to be 220 lbs. and have the physical and mental toughness back to do with this deer hunting addiction I need to keep upand keep going I'm young and need it bad its a part of my life
Rob Loper

As a quick start, and just a suggestion, there are several frozen dinner options on the market now days. That takes care of portion control and alleviates you or others from having to cook a meal, and many are under 450 calories a meal. They are not the greatest from a sodium perspective, but at least you can have selection, portion control and calorie count. I would spend the extra money for the better brands. I think Marie Callendar (sp?) strikes a good balance with price and quality.

Also not sure if you like fish, but Kroger has a pre packaged fish with vegetables name Wild Side. I think they are pretty awesome and the microwave instructions actually work for this product for some reason!

healthy keto (lots of vege's 8-10cups, get fat from olive oil, grass fed butter, etc) 3 meals a day for about 2-3 weeks, cut your current daily calorie intake by about 500. Work into intermittent fasting. Start by trying to skip breakfast and not eat until around noon. quit eating anything by 8pm. Add in exercise as you can, the more the better. After about 6-8 weeks try to get to one meal a day or a 2hr eating window, say 5 -7pm. Pick your window but getting to 20-22 hrs between meals is optimal. If you stick to the keto macro's and don't cheat on the carbs the weight will start melting off.

Calories in calories burnt. It’s a simple equation. Not easy but simple.

Any food you’re not preparing yourself runs the risk of having a lot of stuff in it that won’t help your situation.

Figure out your base metabolic rate and maintenance caloric intake. Be honest with yourself about how active you are and will be. Most people can run long term on a 1-300 calorie deficit. Don’t try to lose weight fast. Try to make a lifestyle change. If you try to lose a pound a day you will rebound and slingshot.

Regular intense exercise will make up for a lot of slop in diet. But if you’re 80lbs overweight, I wouldn’t be jumping into intense exercise.

Everything is going to be hard, slow, and the opposite of what you want. You have to find a way for the current situation to be so unacceptable you build the necessary habits to prevent it.

We all live by stories. And currently the one you’re in let’s you be overweight and unhappy. I’m not downplaying the physiological and chemical processes that are involved. But they ARE, and unchanging.

Good luck. Make it your job to get yourself right.

Speaking from personal experience. Get into an exercise routine, eat healthier then u do now and once the weight starts coming off it will fix most of if not all mental issues. For me I cut out bread,pasta and limited sugar as much as I could. That was it. Ate as much as I wanted of "real" unprocessed food. Everybody is different and I'm no dietitian but that's what worked for me. Humans need to be challenged and do hard things regularly to keep our minds from wandering into unhealthy places. Find your tribe of like minded people that want to accomplish the same goals. Don't put it off any longer.

You mentioned a bit ago that mentoring other hunters and helping people figure stuff out gets you in a better place mentally, so that gives me an idea-

I'd be happy to chat about e-scouting or hunting or shoot the crud on zoom every once in a while if you're interested, it might be fun to pull up a map and look through stuff together on screen share. Heck, record it turn it into a YouTube "mentoring a dummy" series if you want, we'd just have to be more careful about what gets shared on screen. E-scouting lessons with the buck psych. If we plan it out we could take some field pics or footage to compare to the map spots we talk about.

Full disclosure this is a half for you half for me offer. I bet there's other people on here who would be interested as well.

The diet stuff you can do, attack it just like you find a new deer spot, stick with your program and be meticulous, and I know you can do it. Sorry I can't help on the recipe angle.

I spent by childhood in obesity. Started losing weight when I was 17yo and lost 90 lbs over 2 years. Have kept the weight off since. A few things were super helpful to me (YMMV):
anything I eat should meet a nutritional need or be recognized as an occasional (and that requires discipline on my part) non nutritional treat
anything I eat should be as natural as possible and minimally processed
anything that could be classified as a dessert automatically goes in the occasional column

generally speaking i try to eat proteins and healthy fats for breakfast because they keep me feeling full longer and reduce cravings - an example would be eggs and avocado /guac
lunch and dinner i try to stick to lean proteins and vegetables - an example would be grilled venison backstrap over a spinach salad with olive oil/vinegar

snacks should always be nutrient dense and not processed out of a vending machine - an example would be 2 mandarin oranges and a portion of nuts ( I like almonds or pistachios)

the first few years i was super dogmatic about my eating choices. the last 5 years or so i treat myself more frequently as I've learned I won't go off the wagon. i remember how I felt and I don't want to go back.

for recipes I always look for healthy ways to recreate dishes I love. An example would be salisbury steak made with ground venison and instead of mashed potatoes - mashed rutebega (more nutrients than potatoes and lower glycemic index).

i have a binder of go to recipes that have served me well over the years. if you are interested in detailed recipes shoot me a dm and i'd be happy to share. best of luck - its really tough to lose significant weight but nothing ive ever done has had a more positive impact on my physical enjoyment of life.

Rob what's on your like/ love and can't stand/ hate foods list? Maybe if we know some of the healthier things you don't mind eating we'll be able to give some better recommendations on recipes and such.

You're not in it alone brother!

You mentioned a bit ago that mentoring other hunters and helping people figure stuff out gets you in a better place mentally, so that gives me an idea-

I'd be happy to chat about e-scouting or hunting or shoot the crud on zoom every once in a while if you're interested, it might be fun to pull up a map and look through stuff together on screen share. Heck, record it turn it into a YouTube "mentoring a dummy" series if you want, we'd just have to be more careful about what gets shared on screen. E-scouting lessons with the buck psych. If we plan it out we could take some field pics or footage to compare to the map spots we talk about.

Full disclosure this is a half for you half for me offer. I bet there's other people on here who would be interested as well.

The diet stuff you can do, attack it just like you find a new deer spot, stick with your program and be meticulous, and I know you can do it. Sorry I can't help on the recipe angle.
I love thst idea bro. I bet others would be willing to do the same.
lets talk about somthing after xmas right before everyone is starting to post season scout

I love thst idea bro. I bet others would be willing to do the same.
lets talk about somthing after xmas right before everyone is starting to post season scout
Sounds good to me. January is still season so I'll be out in the woods from time to time regardless. Perhaps we can start with late season woody browse because... That's what I gotta find in January right?

JMO Try to walk a mile or two every day .Maybe take up backpacking camping and hiking . Go slow at first then faster and longer . Eat low carbs , little to no sugar . Good advice in the above posts . Depression can be a real killer ,if you are having a bad day seek help asap. Praying for you

Rob what's on your like/ love and can't stand/ hate foods list? Maybe if we know some of the healthier things you don't mind eating we'll be able to give some better recommendations on recipes and such.

You're not in it alone brother!
Thank you so much my friend.
Some foods and vegies i like.
I love riced cauliflower
Brocoli
Cheese (cheddar or American)
Egg whites
Red or green peppers
Onions
Any turkey or chicken
Deer meat lol
Jello
Some fish.
My dont likes.
There isnt many lol
tacos
I love breads but i know i can not have it.
Any mexican or spanish type foods.
i for some reason do not like the seasonings they use in that type food.
curry either. Ughhhhhh
Please no offense to anyone.
the food kills me lol (and my wife). Lol
Apples. Ughh
Pears
Kiwi
Tofu. Ughhhhh
Avacodo.
theres not many but some stuff isnt for me
Lol

You’re getting some great advice and tips on the weight loss but more importantly take note that you’re a damn good person who a lot of people care about and want to see succeed.

On the fitness side I lost mine by keeping it simple. Got up every morning and went for a walk for 45 minutes. Protein shake breakfast. Packed my lunch, most days a sandwich and a granola bar but I was in sales then and just had to eat while I was going down the road. Protein bar snack. Meat and a veggie for dinner. Gallon of water a day. Boring but once you get past the first week or so your taste buds start to like fruit as a treat instead of snickers. I also quit drinking to do it, I didn’t make any good decisions with nightly meals when I was and didn’t want to start my day on a good note either.

All the best, reach out if you need anything from recipes to someone to listen.

Cut out the sugar… all refined sugar and cut back on the fructose from the fruit.

Cut back on carbs.

Track your food intake. Set a target and hit it everyday.

I like to fast everyday. I eat from 5-9pm

If you are diabetic ask your doctor before fasting or starting any kind of new routine/diet.

Keto does work but takes a lot of discipline.

Start slow. Start walking for 30 mins everyday.

You’re getting some great advice and tips on the weight loss but more importantly take note that you’re a damn good person who a lot of people care about and want to see succeed.

On the fitness side I lost mine by keeping it simple. Got up every morning and went for a walk for 45 minutes. Protein shake breakfast. Packed my lunch, most days a sandwich and a granola bar but I was in sales then and just had to eat while I was going down the road. Protein bar snack. Meat and a veggie for dinner. Gallon of water a day. Boring but once you get past the first week or so your taste buds start to like fruit as a treat instead of snickers. I also quit drinking to do it, I didn’t make any good decisions with nightly meals when I was and didn’t want to start my day on a good note either.

All the best, reach out if you need anything from recipes to someone to listen.
Thanks msn and i care about you guys and gals to.
i really have grown to love this forum because after awhile its almost family like

Take from someone who is a type one diabetic - the mediterranien diet is the only diet that has any scientific proof of actually helping people to lose weight, or in my case, manage blood sugars better. Ie, its eating whole foods (only thing you should eat packaged is 100% whole wheat bread and pasta, or brown rice) while avoiding a lot of saturated fat.

Meals are easy to do for most part, its the snacking that is trickier. But i find eating almonds, celery with almond or all natural peanut butter, reduced fat mozerella cheese sticks, and turkey jerky or venison jerky to satisfy me hunger farely well. And take it from me, because of the fiber, nuts do not cause a lot of weight gain. I eat at least 1 cup of nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts) a day and still struggle to gain weight (i have a weight gain need).

i also replaced all soda (diet included) with those sparkling waters you can get in cans almost everywhere. Cheaper, healthier, and curbs those cravings.

Adding - I’m not a fan of Keto. Some people love it but the weight loss is really just water weight and you can regain weight quick just in a weekend I’ve heard. Plus, it gives a green light to eat a lot of saturated fats which is not good for you outside of you 10% max of total calorie target that is recommended. But I did try it and I felt miserable on it. Always tired, just felt sluggish. The body needs carbs, and fruit with fiber is an excellent healthy source. You won’t gain weight eating a balanced diet if it is mostly whole foods. The key is to eat less calories than you burn.Again, its how to satisfy the hunger in between meals - which is where nuts and healthy fats are very helpful.

Just my experience, hope it helps take it for what its worth. Hope you feel better. Being diabetic has its emotional ride… exercise everyday, even just walking helps. Plus, i found not always staring at the phone and not always listening to something like podcasts helps. Just walk and listen to the birds. It’s therapy man… I swear.

Last edited:
Take from someone who is a type one diabetic - the mediterranien diet is the only diet that has any scientific proof of actually helping people to lose weight, or in my case, manage blood sugars better. Ie, its eating whole foods (only thing you should eat packaged is 100% whole wheat bread and pasta, or brown rice) while avoiding a lot of saturated fat.

Meals are easy to do for most part, its the snacking that is trickier. But i find eating almonds, celery with almond or all natural peanut butter, reduced fat mozerella cheese sticks, and turkey jerky or venison jerky to satisfy me hunger farely well. And take it from me, because of the fiber, nuts do not cause a lot of weight gain. I eat at least 1 cup of nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts) a day and still struggle to gain weight (i have a weight gain need).

i also replaced all soda (diet included) with those sparkling waters you can get in cans almost everywhere. Cheaper, healthier, and curbs those cravings.
Oh man i will check that out thanks.

Oh man i will check that out thanks.
In 2015 I had a mild stroke, I was 37 then… no reason really. Ive gradually tried to improve my diet since then and then this year insisted the hospital hook me up with a nutritionist. Long story short yes the Cleveland Clinic will point you directly to the Mediterranean diet, that’s a great place to start… couple basic cookbooks off Amazon or just googling.

I am a different person when I do get some cardio each week, or do not get some cardio each week. Especially in the winter I’m prone to the blues. It is absolutely crucial, and you don’t need to climb a mountain, even with a cheap stationary bike just bring the heart rate up for awhile regularly. I never really feel like doing it but I am ALWAYS glad that I did it.

None of this seems easy to do, but if you do it, each little step really is easy. It’s more intimidating to think about, but in execution it actually can be easy. Certainly easier than mobile hunting! Oh and fresh air and sunlight! Just little steps in a different direction… wishing you all the best, we only have one life, hoping you can work through some changes now to enjoy yours more than you are right now. The future does not have to look like the present or the past, you don’t have to tackle major changes, but you will need to turn the steering wheel a bit and over time things can change.

Back