• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wading through a river to access spot

HaunSolo

SH Member
All,

I live in an area with a high amount of public land per capita. I've been scouting one public spot pretty heavy recently. It is about 2,000 total huntable acres. The property is bordered by a river on the west side. Across the river to the west is another large chunk of public land.

There are two large cornfields on the property(about 40 acres). A lot of the stands and cameras I've seen are around these cornfields. To the south east of the cornfield is a section of really thick stuff - tall briars and native vegetation. I found a decent 8 point shed in this bedding this spring but it was old, meaning I think it had been there a year.

Spot 1 - I can access this spot from a trail. I think I could get set up on along the tree line from the thick bedding to the cornfield and intercept a buck there. The only downsides to this spot is that I think I would bump alot of deer getting in and that I saw another tree stand just 60 yards from where I'd set up.

Spot 2 - The river is only about 1.5 feet under normal conditions. With my tall rubber boots I think I could walk from the start area to the finish area and get setup without spooking many deer. The area around spot two is really thick native vegetation and although I didn't see any rubs or scrapes I found plenty of tracks and trails. The downside to this is that it would be about a 1.5 mile walk to and from the parking area.

Spot 3 - I could access this spot the same way I access spot two, by walking down the river. This spot would not be as far as a walk. Around this spot is a beaver dam and I think deer are crossing here. There is a path leading into the cornfield at this spot that is heavily used. The downside again would be walking up and down the river, especially in the dark.

What are your guys' thoughts? Am I crazy to think I could walk this far down the river? I don't really have the means to haul a kayak or canoe with my current vehicle. I feel that accessing these spots via river gives me the best chance to not spook deer and avoid hunting pressure. KennekukSpot.PNG

I do a lot of river walking and it’s one of the best ways to hunt deer (little to no ground scent, some thermal pull of your scent), you could mix up all of the above. but get to know that river to decide if it’s safe, you def don’t need to take a solo spill at 4:30 AM. What about all that real estate accessible with a shorter river hike as well?

Edit: if you do go the river route, one or two hiking poles helps a ton.

I walk rivers too for some of my access. A water tight pair of waders makes the hunt a lot more comfortable. I've done the roll up/take off boots and pants thing too but it's just nicer to stay completely dry if possible unless it's really warm out I guess. I leave the waders at the bank hidden in a bush usually in a decoy bag.
I did hit a hole that caught me off guard (didn't seem like one should've been there) and took some water in up over the front of my waders so keep that in mind if that's a possibility since things could get a little hairy if that happens.
I guess I'd suggest if you do walk in on the river do it for an evening hunt first to kind of map everything out before trying it in the dark as said before.

All good points - thanks for the feedback.

Perhaps I will scout some spots closer to the start area and try to access those via river. That area is a very thick marshy area - my only concern will be finding a tall mature tree. Alot of younger, smaller vegetation in that area.

All I can say is that having access to public land with corn fields, a river, and thick bedding areas has me quite jealous.

You may be able to use the river walk access when you hit a dry spell/drought, or simply do some river walking on the sandy areas and then go up to the bank when needed. I have done this and it also give you fresh intel (ie fresh tracks) on when and how the deer are crossing.

I’d go walk the property during the hours deer would be most likely to be on their feet. During the season. With a weapon. Figure it all out then.

If you’re worried about spooking deer, do it this season, and make your notes so you can try to be more prepared next year.

Trying to get this precise on a map 3 months out will just get you anxious or overconfident.

And don’t forget - if it looks tasty on a map, it looks tasty to everyone else. Don’t get your hopes up now. Find 30 of these spots and go find the 3-4 during season that aren’t getting hammered by map scouters.

The usgs has water data points all over the place. Might be one close to your spot/river. They usually tell water height and flow rate. You could tell if it’s gushing before you get there and are boned.

thought #2:life jackets in cold water save lives. May or may not be relevant, but be careful. Cold water is no joke.

You said there's public to the West of the river. Can you walk from the West across that public and then cross the river closer to the corn fields? If not, walk most of your path on dry land then hop in the river a little closer to your spot. 1.5 miles in water is gonna take a longggg time and that's without any incidents.

All good points - thanks for the feedback.

Perhaps I will scout some spots closer to the start area and try to access those via river. That area is a very thick marshy area - my only concern will be finding a tall mature tree. Alot of younger, smaller vegetation in that area.
I agree on scouting and walking the river in waders prior to trying it in the dark. If you get a surprise bath it would be better to do that in the day. Also, don't let the lack of a tree make you pass on a great spot to kill a buck. If everybody is thinking and hunting elevated the deer often go to spots where the vegetation is thick and there are no trees. These can be low or zero pressure spots. That's one reason I bought a Pack Seat for the upcoming season. Lots of the prime spots I found back in February post season scouting had no good trees, but lots of great sign.

The usgs has water data points all over the place. Might be one close to your spot/river. They usually tell water height and flow rate. You could tell if it’s gushing before you get there and are boned.

thought #2:life jackets in cold water save lives. May or may not be relevant, but be careful. Cold water is no joke.

I agree on using USGS to work the river. For example I fish a river that has to be above 11’ at a particular bridge for me to access certain spots. I check it before I head out to see if I will be wasting my time or not. You could do the same thing, but for walking. Get a reading in the USGS map for your area, look at height, and discharge. Try walking the river at those measurements. If it’s doable then note it. Later when the river has a higher reading try it again, and note it. You will eventually figure out the sweet spot. Make sure you take note of what level those sand bars disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
All,

I live in an area with a high amount of public land per capita. I've been scouting one public spot pretty heavy recently. It is about 2,000 total huntable acres. The property is bordered by a river on the west side. Across the river to the west is another large chunk of public land.

There are two large cornfields on the property(about 40 acres). A lot of the stands and cameras I've seen are around these cornfields. To the south east of the cornfield is a section of really thick stuff - tall briars and native vegetation. I found a decent 8 point shed in this bedding this spring but it was old, meaning I think it had been there a year.

Spot 1 - I can access this spot from a trail. I think I could get set up on along the tree line from the thick bedding to the cornfield and intercept a buck there. The only downsides to this spot is that I think I would bump alot of deer getting in and that I saw another tree stand just 60 yards from where I'd set up.

Spot 2 - The river is only about 1.5 feet under normal conditions. With my tall rubber boots I think I could walk from the start area to the finish area and get setup without spooking many deer. The area around spot two is really thick native vegetation and although I didn't see any rubs or scrapes I found plenty of tracks and trails. The downside to this is that it would be about a 1.5 mile walk to and from the parking area.

Spot 3 - I could access this spot the same way I access spot two, by walking down the river. This spot would not be as far as a walk. Around this spot is a beaver dam and I think deer are crossing here. There is a path leading into the cornfield at this spot that is heavily used. The downside again would be walking up and down the river, especially in the dark.

What are your guys' thoughts? Am I crazy to think I could walk this far down the river? I don't really have the means to haul a kayak or canoe with my current vehicle. I feel that accessing these spots via river gives me the best chance to not spook deer and avoid hunting pressure. View attachment 89030
Check your prevailing wind and thermals? May be better to start on the lower end of your river and come in opposite your start end (prevailing NW wind??) You can walk in water all day to cover scent but don't forget the wind. I think it may take a season or 2 to figure this hunting spot out.

I would walk right through the middle of the bedding areas 3 times a day for the 1st 2 weeks of October. Don't shower and make lots of noise too. Oh, btw...I may or may not hunt on the other side of the river. To everyone else that looks at the map, it is north east of Paducah.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

A pair of hip boots maybe? THP guys say they use contractor trash bags over their boots.

Back