• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

was it here I saw an easy way to hang a deer for skinning with only one person?

raisins

SH Member
I could swear that here I saw someone discuss a method using not many tools (maybe just rope) to hang a deer without needing even one of those block and tackle deer lifter things. I remember thinking "I'll use that if I'm stuck somewhere".

Does this ring a bell to anyone or did I dream that or something?

I don't carry any pulleys or the dedicated block and tackle kit but I figured if I ever got the hankering to hang one instead of doing gutless on the ground, between my rappel rope, ropeman, and safeguard I could pretty easily rig a 3:1 Z-rig. Never actually tried it, but is something along those lines what you're thinking?

I use my gear, this works also

@mtsrunner has a video from about 2 years ago. The video is also on the EWO deer hoist page (or was last year).

I use chain links instead of the mini double pulleys because when I was looking into them I think they were about $30, and you need 2.

I can hang a deer using either an extra Beal Jammy or CT Roll'N'Lock, my bow rope, and a couple of carabiners. Mechanical advantage and progress capture is your friend. I carry some 2.2mm Zing-It for hanging quarters, stabilizing an animal for gutting or butchering in a funky location, or shifting an animal using mechanical advantage.

@mtsrunner has a video from about 2 years ago. The video is also on the EWO deer hoist page (or was last year).

I use chain links instead of the mini double pulleys because when I was looking into them I think they were about $30, and you need 2.
I carry two 800lb micro carabiners, and I always have at least two extra rated carabiners... Carabiners work perfect for this purpose.

I carry two 800lb micro carabiners, and I always have at least two extra rated carabiners... Carabiners work perfect for this purpose.

link for this and other uses? the smallest ones I've found were Black Diamond wire gates (call minwire or something) but they are fully climb rated and still kinda big

i might use a small micro for my aider system because it's not life support

link for this and other uses? the smallest ones I've found were Black Diamond wire gates (call minwire or something) but they are fully climb rated and still kinda big

I personally don't own a micro screw-gate, but... Most of these are rated to 4-5kN.

I use one in my RADS system for my footloop. I also use a bunch of these in my pro/rec climbing gear.

My favorite rated backup carabiner is the Kong Argon S screw-gate. I always carry two extra wrapped up with a Beal Jammy. And my pack hanging carabiner is a rated wire-gate, as is my swaider attachment.

These might be the cat’s meow for these types of applications. Really small and 1,000lb breaking strength. Also $18 for a pair. IMG_2152.jpg

These might be the cat’s meow for these types of applications. Really small and 1,000lb breaking strength. Also $18 for a pair. View attachment 91617

I've looked at these! The past few weeks I think I've order 3 times from Dutchware lol! My hang up is that I'm sure that they're great in a static setup, but the edge radius doesn't look ideal for a mechanical advantage system... I'm definitely looking for a multi-use/purpose for most of my gear.

I've looked at these! The past few weeks I think I've order 3 times from Dutchware lol! My hang up is that I'm sure that they're great in a static setup, but the edge radius doesn't look ideal for a mechanical advantage system... I'm definitely looking for a multi-use/purpose for most of my gear.
i thought about the edges as well. Considered just polishing them with the dremel. I really like how small they are.

I don't know if you watch Farming the Wild on Outdoor Channel, but the UK host Mike Robinson is a big fan of what he calls a "hanging gralloch". I've seen him use a stick for a gambrel and a utility line over a branch to get the pelvis to a comfortable working height; he also just a stick for a gambrel, cut a limb off a tree at about chest height, leaving a stub, and just lifted the doe by the gambrel to set it over the stub and gutted it that way. IIRC it put the hams at about chest height, which looked a lot less uncomfortable than working the carcass on the ground.

I also saw on one of the FB groups, someone using a couple 2-3 link sections of chain to improvise a block and tackle for hanging deer. IIRC he used dynaglide with this.

Since MN DNR says I can't butcher in the field, the stick-and-stub approach is probably more my speed.

Back