• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wasp jack-knife

Babybooner

Just purchased a 3 pack of the jak-knife mechanicals. Watched some YouTube videos where they tested these against a few other name brand broadheads, and these seemed to be more durable with better penetration. Just looking for some feedback from anyone on here who uses these. I debated on going with a fixed blade this year, but ended up going this direction. Good or bad feedback is ok with me. You won’t hurt my feelings. Just looking for honesty. Thanks fellas.

Never use the jack-knife but I shot the jack-hammer and they worked ok. I did bend the blades more than once so I switched to slick trick and ramcats. Also like the looks of the rage broadheads and I'm going to shoot the rage hypodermic broadheads out of my crossbow thanks to TonyGreenway.

I have always shot rage and never had any issues with them. Going on a elk hunt next year where we can only shoot fixed blade. After tons of research and banging my head on the wall because of all the choices I am gonna try the Magnus Buzz Cuts. Ive heard nothing but great things about their customer service. Hopefully they arrive tomorrow with my block target.

I have always shot rage and never had any issues with them. Going on a elk hunt next year where we can only shoot fixed blade. After tons of research and banging my head on the wall because of all the choices I am gonna try the Magnus Buzz Cuts. Ive heard nothing but great things about their customer service. Hopefully they arrive tomorrow with my block target.

I like the plane edge stingers but they are getting harder to find in box stores for some reason. I may end up trying something else in the future. It was a big selling point that I could find them everywhere.

I got the serrated edge buzz cuts 100 grain. I have not seen any of the Magnus stuff in any store around here. I just used my Cabelas points:smirk: Hope they shoot good in my bow.

Could you explain what happen with the rage that they didn't deploy ?
It was the old 3 blade rage. Basically what I could figure out and reproduce when I got home was that on a hard quartering shot if one ove the blades got deployed before the other two the deployed blade would jam the other two shut. I've seen in the magazine that they have made a new design for the 3 blade so my guess is I'm not the only person to experience this.

That said the more I looked into I started leaning more toward wanting to maximize penetration so I went away from mechanicals all together and now I'm shooting the grizzly at 200 grains from 3 rivers with my compound and recurve. I've never had a problem recovering a deer I could get my arrow out the other side of. Additionally, when I moved out to CA I stated traveling more to hunt (bet you can't guess why) and I didn't want to change my set up for elk.

It was the old 3 blade rage. Basically what I could figure out and reproduce when I got home was that on a hard quartering shot if one ove the blades got deployed before the other two the deployed blade would jam the other two shut. I've seen in the magazine that they have made a new design for the 3 blade so my guess is I'm not the only person to experience this.

That said the more I looked into I started leaning more toward wanting to maximize penetration so I went away from mechanicals all together and now I'm shooting the grizzly at 200 grains from 3 rivers with my compound and recurve. I've never had a problem recovering a deer I could get my arrow out the other side of. Additionally, when I moved out to CA I stated traveling more to hunt (bet you can't guess why) and I didn't want to change my set up for elk.
Don't know if you ever tried Slick Tricks or Ramcats both are fixed blades and shoot great . I like rage but like you said I wait for a good broadside shot.

I was considering the slick trick viper trick. I’ve heard they shoot just like field points. Just a bit concerned with the small cutting diameter

Don't know if you ever tried Slick Tricks or Ramcats both are fixed blades and shoot great . I like rage but like you said I wait for a good broadside shot.

X2 on ramcats and slick tricks.

This is one of those times where you wouldn't have wanted to be on the cutting edge initially. I read a couple articles about mechanicals that pretty much said the technology has advanced so much over the years that modern mechanicals are an entirely different animal than they once were. Many people had terrible experiences in the early days. Failures to deploy, premature deployment, and bent or broken blades were common issues, and put a bad taste in many hunters' mouths. I'm willing to try any brand of mechanical now. They've really come a long way.

Bending ferrule's and bending/breaking blades is what sent me to solid steel.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/grizzly-screw-in-broadheads.html

Until I have a problem I'm going to stick with this one. The only down side to them is that they are definately not sharp when you get them, but a stone and 15 min and they're shaving hair sharp, and they seem to keep their edge well.

I've been using the grim reaper mechanical I love this broadhead. I'm trying them on crossbow bolt this year

I've taken 3 does and a good buck with the wasp jak-hammers this year. Its essentially the same broadhead in a 2 blade instead of the 3 blade. My experience is that they are tough broadheads and I don't see how they could possibly fail to deploy, although I'm sure it'll be bound to happen at some point. So far I've killed 2 deer with one broadhead, just re-sharpening it. I made a marginal shot on my buck this year and he still died within 70 yards, with this broadhead.

Just switched to mechanical broad heads this year( after 27 years of fixed blades). I also went with the Rage Trypan. If I could figure out how to get my phone connected to this site I'd post some pics that would make Jack the Ripper squimish. It's one devastating broad head. I hit a 7 pt. through the back at 12 yds., you'd swear I poked him with a 4x4 . He bled three feet onto the trees. It was a bio hazard really. I'll shoot them again next year for sure. Sorry no experience with the jak-knife.

Back