• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WE/Primal Treehopper ROS hybrid issues?

parsnip

Hey All,

I am really digging my primal step for a platform with the aluminum DIY mod. I also bought 2 treehopper steps to add a little flexibility for getting around the tree. That isn’t working so well. They twist, sag, make noise, etc. Im new to the ROS thing. So maybe my expectations for solidity are too high. But this doesn’t seem like it’s gonna work. Anyone have any experience to share or relate? Are the primal straps too skinny? Or does the cam not get the strap tight enough? I know someone on here has worked through this. Thanks all!!

Hey All,

I am really digging my primal step for a platform with the aluminum DIY mod. I also bought 2 treehopper steps to add a little flexibility for getting around the tree. That isn’t working so well. They twist, sag, make noise, etc. Im new to the ROS thing. So maybe my expectations for solidity are too high. But this doesn’t seem like it’s gonna work. Anyone have any experience to share or relate? Are the primal straps too skinny? Or does the cam not get the strap tight enough? I know someone on here has worked through this. Thanks all!!
If you don't have an OCB buckle on there, you need to get one. Able to get much tighter. And about a year ago, I posted pictures of my DIY cleats that I put on my Ameristeps. I don't know if something like this is possible with what you are using, but for mine it made them stay put on the tree much better.

So do you think the cam action of the primal step/WE step doesn't get things tight enough to keep the steps put? I was just reading how some folks use a couple of steps w/ a solo scout.

So do you think the cam action of the primal step/WE step doesn't get things tight enough to keep the steps put? I was just reading how some folks use a couple of steps w/ a solo scout.
The primal strap isn't in contact with the tree all the way around. I imagine steps on the back side of the tree where the strap actually is tight to the tree would probably hold OK.

I didn't realize you were putting steps right on the same strap as is attached to the step. I think that runs the risk of loosening your step and as @mattsteg referred to, the steps won't get tight anywhere but on the back of the tree. I even question it getting tight enough there. A dedicated strap for the steps with an OCB, right above your top step will work much better for you, IMO. That's how I have mine set up and it works great.

Got it. I had read abt some folks using solo scout or a we/primal step, adding two steps to the strap for the solo scout/primal/we and using the “cam over” tightening instead of the OCB to keep the two side steps right. BUT didn’t work for me. And maybe doesn’t work for anyone. Maybe I just need to get an OCB to get the additional steps.

Back