• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WE Step Bag Modifications

DaWiz9578

Tried finding threads on it, but seems I'm not the best with keywords in the search. Looking for threads on WE step bag modifications. I believe I've seen people cut the bottom out and let the ropes hang down rather than up and over the zipper. Also wondering if anyone has swapped anything in place of the zipper. Just looking to modifying my bag and doing some research before I do. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

This thread has a modification by @Peterk1234 adding straps to the bag instead of using the zipper. I’m planning on copying his idea as I have the same problem with getting the zipper to close over the stepps especially after adding vet tape.
Instead of cutting the bottom out of the bag, I wrap each rope individually as I put the stepp in the bag, allows me to remove the steps without having to mess with all the ropes. Only other mod I’ve done is cutting the tag end of the strap after adjusting it to the right fit.

This thread has a modification by @Peterk1234 adding straps to the bag instead of using the zipper. I’m planning on copying his idea as I have the same problem with getting the zipper to close over the stepps especially after adding vet tape.
Instead of cutting the bottom out of the bag, I wrap each rope individually as I put the stepp in the bag, allows me to remove the steps without having to mess with all the ropes. Only other mod I’ve done is cutting the tag end of the strap after adjusting it to the right fit.
Thanks. What's your wrapping technique to not impact them fitting back together?

After placing each stepp in the bag, fold up the rope and shove it down the middle of the Stepps. Doesn’t seem any bulkier than wrapping all the ropes together before shoving the wad in the bag. Adding the vet tape definitely adds bulk to the Stepps and makes it harder to zip the bag up.
f3caa53250b1b7d8d58a2ec5aa4cfcf0.jpg
7c614d52cbdcfd6cb4ab05dfd39bbe22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The initial problem with the bag as is is that the steps would fall out when you pull all the ropes out and hang them over the zipper prior to climbing. Whether or not you pulled the zipper all the way down the ropes would push the zipper down and the steps would tip out. Guys started to cut out the bottom of the bag to deploy the ropes out the bottom so that wouldn't happen. The problem with that mod was if you carried the steps in using the shoulder strap the ropes would sometimes fall through the bottom. So guys moded a draw string on the bottom to close it up until they needed it. The easier mod is to wrap some thread around the zipper about 6 inches or so from the bottom, that keeps the zipper up even if you deploy the ropes over the top. I have also found that if you "S" fold the ropes to store in the bag you can pull the steps out one by one without pulling the ropes out. The key is when you start coming down. I let the ropes hang outside the bag as I stack the steps, this keeps me from having to mess with the ropes at all on the way down, and the thread around the zipper keeps the steps from tipping out. When I get to the bottom of the tree I gather all the ropes and fold them neatly into the bag and zip it up. The zipper is tight so I see the value in Peter1234 zipper mod, I just haven't needed to do that. Maybe I will at some point but it's not been that much of a problem to me.

I'll have to try the individual wrap today before I go out. I agree with on the way down just letting them hang. I'll do that before I cut into the bag and see if it helps the zipper.

That's my main problem is the ropes pushing the zipper down and yesterday tipped it just right to watch all my steps fall onto the ground haha. Yesterday I was even trying to stay as quiet as possible and while telling myself "take your time stay quiet" I felt a weight shift then heard all my steps hit....Work in progress

I'll have to try the individual wrap today before I go out. I agree with on the way down just letting them hang. I'll do that before I cut into the bag and see if it helps the zipper.

That's my main problem is the ropes pushing the zipper down and yesterday tipped it just right to watch all my steps fall onto the ground haha. Yesterday I was even trying to stay as quiet as possible and while telling myself "take your time stay quiet" I felt a weight shift then heard all my steps hit....Work in progress

Cool let me know how it goes. I'm going to try the strap method, with two straps on my 5-stepp bag. The lower strap will be at the point where I shouldn't have to loosen it to get all the stepps out, but still keep all the stepps in the bag.

I wanted to post a quick video of my wild Edge bag modification which seems to address the issue of the steps falling out when the ropes are over the zipper. I also wanted to address the zip tie modification for the wild Edge stepp

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I wanted to post a quick video of my wild Edge bag modification which seems to address the issue of the steps falling out when the ropes are over the zipper. I also wanted to address the zip tie modification for the wild Edge stepp

Well now I gotta know what the zip tie mod is

So flippin frustrating. Can't get a video to load but when I selected a pic of my cat that would work, anyone want to see a pic of my cat?

I will admit my illiteracy when it comes to electronics I think the best I will be able to do is to send a series of pictures

Ignorance may be the better choice. Yes my ignorance of electronics.

here is the bag modification with the thread wrapped around the zipper about 5 inches up this keeps the zipper from going all the way down and the steps from tipping out
6073ebead95150c0a232ef17c6dbcfb0.jpg

Back