• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WE Stepps using Timber Hitch

movehuntir

SH Member
Well, I have been using a timber hitch to attach my Predator platform for a little while. I found this to work quickly and well. So I got to thinking how to make this work with my Stepps. The first photo below is what I came up with. A 4" piece of 5/16 weld rod with a slight bend. The weld rod is welded parallel with the center rod of the stepp. I'm using a 10' piece of amsteel. This modification is working very well for me, The second photo shows how to get the amsteel adjusted in length before doing 5 twists for the timber hitch. I found that holding the two legs of the stepp against the tree (as well as the tag end) with my left hand, I take the loop formed to the end of the "V" of the step with one finger in the loop. This appears to adjust the rope length for a very firm stepp cam over on all the trees I've tried.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    664.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    857.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    949.4 KB · Views: 215
Is that regular welding rod with the flux chipped off? Maybe I could weld three 1/4" rods together to make a wider one. I don't have any 5/16"

I used 5/16 weld rod I picked up at the local Ace hardware. It might have been $5. It's just steel rod in 3-4 foot lengths. That and a little OXY/MAPP torch to make the bend.

Well, I have been using a timber hitch to attach my Predator platform for a little while. I found this to work quickly and well. So I got to thinking how to make this work with my Stepps. The first photo below is what I came up with. A 4" piece of 5/16 weld rod with a slight bend. The weld rod is welded parallel with the center rod of the stepp. I'm using a 10' piece of amsteel. This modification is working very well for me, The second photo shows how to get the amsteel adjusted in length before doing 5 twists for the timber hitch. I found that holding the two legs of the stepp against the tree (as well as the tag end) with my left hand, I take the loop formed to the end of the "V" of the step with one finger in the loop. This appears to adjust the rope length for a very firm stepp cam over on all the trees I've tried.

Couldn't you take the tag end of the rope, wrap it around the center bar and then tie the timber hitch? What is the benefit of the adding the weld rod? I've never used the timber hitch for anything so there might be something I am missing.

Couldn't you take the tag end of the rope, wrap it around the center bar and then tie the timber hitch? What is the benefit of the adding the weld rod? I've never used the timber hitch for anything so there might be something I am missing.
I was thinking about putting the loop around the leg then going across the center bar and then using the timber hitch but basically the same principle!

By having a post you can just place the formed loop over you can twist the rope by simply sticking your finger through it and spinning the rope around. Running over the solid bar will work but then you'd need to individually lace the tag end of the rope through itself five times to create the twist.

Last edited:

This is interesting. Any chance of making a video on how you welded it and the attachment to tree in action?

I think this will make attaching my steps so much faster. I'm going to weld one up today and try it. Sounds like it's a great mod! Thanks

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

I think this will make attaching my steps so much faster. I'm going to weld one up today and try it. Sounds like it's a great mod! Thanks

It's perfect timing also, i was thinking last week after reading about using a timber hitch for a platform if it would work on a step.

This does making attaching the stepps much faster. You do have to get the rope length correct before twisting for the timber hitch. Adjusting rope length after is difficult. I did fair in the junction of the rod and stepp where the rope hooks with epoxy putty, the stuff that looks like a tootsie roll. If you keep your fingers damp, no sanding needed and a smooth junction for the amsteel.

I had considered j.b. weld and epoxy putty. I use the wood version of that stuff with some dye when i need to match knot holes on wood (I build drum kits and such) so I'm used to the stuff. I'm glad you added that part of your mod to the post.

This is interesting. Any chance of making a video on how you welded it and the attachment to tree in action?
I will try to get with someone who has a video camera next week for tree attachment. I've already welded all I'm going to mod. The welding is very straight forward. Bend a piece of weld rod and cut to length. Remove some paint from stepp. Clamp together and make sparks.

What do you mean by weld
rod ? I am a welder been welding for more than 40 years and welding rod to me means an electrode. I would use cold rolled steel if I were to do it . What kind of welding meth did you use? Just wondering.

The stuff I used was labeled as weld rod at local Ace. It's just a 5/16 dia. mild steel rod in 4' length. I used my wire feed with .035 cored wire for the welds.
Be careful using welding rod it's not like cold roll steel not even close.

Back