• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Well that was close (bowstring broke) round 2

gcr0003

SH Member
Someone want to explain how this happened. I heard a weird sound while tuning my arrows but I thought it came from my field tip being loose. I didn’t even notice this and my arrow broke during the shot! Looks like it broke on the bottom side. Wtheck!? This is less than a year old string. The bow didnt crack or break thankfully. I just had my arrow tuned perfect too :(8B994AAA-5965-4106-A7AE-FA62C8639F83.jpeg87F26126-CB6B-49E3-913B-67EB9EFC837C.jpeg

Last edited:
Luckily the energy was transferred to the arrow before it broke and it still hit where I was aiming. I was about to have to tell the mrs out of town I shot the front door. 2903803D-47D2-4335-8417-2F84E61FD96A.jpeg

Back story to the vanes in the picture before someone asks. I bought a dozen arrows and set them up for my compound last year. They are 300 spine with 100 grain insert. I was trying to see if they would tune to this bow bareshaft. I de-fletched one and started tinkering but I thought I was way over spined at first. I was trying a 300, 275, 250, 225, 200, 150 grain point. I talked to @swampsnyper who told me I wasn't over spined but underspined. I dropped the point weight down to 100 grain and the bareshaft starting shooting darts. It was shooting so well that I decided to grab one of the 11 that was fletched with vanes for the compound to shoot just for fun. Since they are low profile vanes they actually shot bullets. I have feathers that I will use.
AADC19DC-6735-4FD1-B374-556F176B2C58.jpeg

Does this make an argument for unstringing the bow after use? @GCTerpfan There are no splinters, knicks or high rises on the limbs so I must of knicked it somewhere?

I have to assume the string was compromised at that spot. I do have some questions though. Strand count and string material? Bow draw weight?

That's odd. There appears to be something going on though. It looks like other end of the string is also worn (at least it looks like wear and not just strings ends just poking through) where the sting lays in your string grooves.

I see in the other thread that this is the second string you broke. Did the other string break in the same spot?

Does this make an argument for unstringing the bow after use? @GCTerpfan There are no splinters, knicks or high rises on the limbs so I must of knicked it somewhere?
On my old long bow, the manual said to never store the bow with it strung. I only put my strings on the trad when I plan on shooting. It looks to me like some unnoticed damage occurred to the string. Perhaps a broadhead brushed it a few time and you didn’t notice? I’ve seen some strings awful frayed after a season in the palmettos and vines that didn’t break.

I see in the other thread that this is the second string you broke. Did the other string break in the same spot?
The other string was really but I can’t remember where it broke.

That's odd. There appears to be something going on though. It looks like other end of the string is also worn (at least it looks like wear and not just strings ends just poking through) where the sting lays in your string grooves.
It looked like just string ends poking through to me. I had noticed that before but was told that no big deal and that’s normal for a string. There is some heavy wax on that area which is what the blackish color is. I don’t if it picks up dirt or what but that’s the way it’s been.

One other silly question, if you are storing it strung, how are you hanging it? I ask because of the damage and fraying in almost the exact same location on the other side of the string. It makes me wonder if you’re hanging it on some sort of hanger that may have slight jagged edges. Over time from sitting against that edge and being lifted on and off of it, the string could be slightly compromised. Then it eventually breaks from the stress of repeat energy transfer

I have to assume the string was compromised at that spot. I do have some questions though. Strand count and string material? Bow draw weight?
I couldn’t tell you strand count, I bought it. String material is the kind you can use with old bows. I can’t remember what it’s called.
44# drawing 30”

On my old long bow, the manual said to never store the bow with it strung. I only put my strings on the trad when I plan on shooting. It looks to me like some unnoticed damage occurred to the string. Perhaps a broadhead brushed it a few time and you didn’t notice? I’ve seen some strings awful frayed after a season in the palmettos and vines that didn’t break.
Yea likely, hard to say

Wow!! I've never seen anything like that. And it's happened before? Why is there discoloration in the same area on the other end of the string? What's causing the discoloration?
I figured it was just the wax? I noticed on even my compound if it had a lot of wax the wax would pick up a dirty color

Back