• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Were do you buy your rope?

I’ve bought from climbstuff.com , backcountry.com, and rei. Some of the arborist sites sale rope. Dutchwaregear.com is one of the goto places for amsteel along with a couple marine retailers. It really depends on what kind or rope your looking for.

What type/size of rope should I be using for a prusik above ropeman for backup? Please advise. 1/4in amsteel bridge

What are you buying rope for? Rappelling, tether, linemans belt, bridge, stick mod?

Yes I need all of the above execpt Stick mod.
When ordering I would like them to add the eye's at the end of the ropes. Im still trying to understand what ropes need the 5" loop and what roops need a tight loop. I have (2) ropeman #1 so I need 10mm or larger rope for them.

It would be great to have a list of leangh, size and how to set up your rope ends for each rope. That would help us noobs!!!

So far I have the following

I used Knot and Rope Supply in Perrysberg OH this year, but main reason was i could save on shipping since my daughter lived close and could pick up for me.

The shipping prices on rope suck.

When ordering I would like them to add the eye's at the end of the ropes. Im still trying to understand what ropes need the 5" loop and what roops need a tight loop. I have (2) ropeman #1 so I need 10mm or larger rope for them.

It would be great to have a list of leangh, size and how to set up your rope ends for each rope. That would help us noobs!!!

If you are unsure of what to get, I would recommend buying the tether and linesmans belt set up from tethered. It's quality rope and caribiners, already comes set up, and isn't much more expensive then buying rope and paying for splices.

I would be more concerned with backing up the sit-drag than buying a prusik cord to back up the ropeman. Some of us that use minimalist saddles like the sit-drag also use a rock climbing harness(commonly called rch), which is rated for climbing/falling. Your tether will have a big loop on the end that goes around the tree, so you can pass the ropeman and carabiner through it. The other end should have a carabiner to attach to your rock climbing harness(rch). IF your ropeman fails, you are still connected to the tether.

I'm with GC on the Tethrd recommendation for the Tether and linemans belt. They come with 6mm prusiks and spliced loops.

For rappeling it's hard to beat the 9mm HTP static but any 9-11mm static rope will work. Just in case you don't know the difference, static has less stretch than climbing rope. Length is up to you but I wouldn't personally carry one shorter than 35'. It's nice to have a little extra.

Prusik cord is generally 6-6.5mm or you can buy pre-sewn like you have already.

I really like the amstel bridge on my Mantis but there are many options. I'm using sterling climbing slings for a removable short bridge for SRT and basic rappelling.

I would be more concerned with backing up the sit-drag than buying a prusik cord to back up the ropeman. Some of us that use minimalist saddles like the sit-drag also use a rock climbing harness(commonly called rch), which is rated for climbing/falling. Your tether will have a big loop on the end that goes around the tree, so you can pass the ropeman and carabiner through it. The other end should have a carabiner to attach to your rock climbing harness(rch). IF your ropeman fails, you are still connected to the tether.

Great reply this helps!!

Climbing harness was going to be my next question!
Is there an advantage using a climbing harness insead of a safty harness? By the look of the safty harness it seems it would also provide nice back support depending on the one you purchased?

Well, from what I've seen with my harnesses, you rock climbing harness hooks up at waist level in front of you ( same as your bridge) where as your safety harness hooks up behind your shoulders.
If you have to rely on your harness, which is your Fail-Safe, you're going to do quite a drop before the strap on your safety harness grabs you, proceeding to fling you face-first into the tree like a pendulum.
Plus I think it might get in your way going over your shoulder and attaching to the tree in front of you.
I would personally recommend going with the rock climbing harness.

Well, from what I've seen with my harnesses, you rock climbing harness hooks up at waist level in front of you ( same as your bridge) where as your safety harness hooks up behind your shoulders.
If you have to rely on your harness, which is your Fail-Safe, you're going to do quite a drop before the strap on your safety harness grabs you, proceeding to fling you face-first into the tree like a pendulum.
Plus I think it might get in your way going over your shoulder and attaching to the tree in front of you.
Or you'll be hanging facing away from the tree with no easy way to right yourself.

Rock climbing harnesses are designed to hold you from the front, and allow you to work/grab/etc. Things in front of you - all things that you want very much for this application.

It looked like some safty straps had waist connections for climbing?

What climbing harness is suggested?

Back