• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What crossbows are everyone using

RRussell

I've been shooting a Barnett whitetail 2 for a few years now and want to upgrade while its still in good shape. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Killer Instinct Ripper 415 and a upgraded Hawk scope and bolts. I'm just wondering in the $400-$600 what else would people suggest I look at?

I've been shooting a Barnett whitetail 2 for a few years now and want to upgrade while its still in good shape. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Killer Instinct Ripper 415 and a upgraded Hawk scope and bolts. I'm just wondering in the $400-$600 what else would people suggest I look at?

Check out hickory creek vertical bows.

I use an Excalibur Exomax. When I saw the video of the owner shoot a bolt that went through and hit the leg on the other side of a bull elephant, I snapped one up. Put a scope and Leopold rangefinder mounted on scope. I can adjust, tune or change a string in the field in mere minutes; and it will put 4/5 bolts in a quarter at 50 yds. @350 FPS. Trigger set at 3 lbs., like butter.

Last edited:
I just sold my PSE fang it was a great crossbow, I had a limb de laminate and they sent me a new bow no questions asked

I'd recommend one of the compact xbows--Excalibur has a few and there are a few reverse-limb xbows that are super-compact. I'd also recommend keeping an eye on the ArcheryTalk classifieds to find something used to meet your stated budget.

I have the Ripper 415! Bought it to upgrade my wife. Love it, fast and super accurate. Can’t beat the price. But 415 FPS is also loud!!!!

I have never shot it but have heard great things about the Centerpoint 370 (under $250). The only negative is some complain about the trigger being sloppy.

I won a Carbon Express Blade ($199) two years ago at a sportsman's banquet and for the money, it is a nice crossbow. You can adjust the stock but for a $100 more I would go with the Piledriver 390 instead. That has the integral stock which allows for use of their cocker. I upgraded the stock with a Blade Pro to use the cocker as well but that's because I had a warranty issue with it. They had a recall on the trigger but they took care of postage paid the whole nine yards. Can't complain. The glass that comes with it isn't great so I upgraded to a Tru-glow crossbow red dot they make and like that much better. For some reason though, I just really enjoy my vertical bows better.

I have never shot it but have heard great things about the Centerpoint 370 (under $250). The only negative is some complain about the trigger being sloppy.
This is what I have. There is a mod available for the trigger. Makes it a lot lighter pull. Really like it for the money. Got mine for under $200 on Amazon on a sale this last spring.
9e2ba67881dcee820bc79171c6513e3b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Another vote for Excaliber. I have an 8 year old Vortex that has been flawless. My next one will be one of the smaller Excals as well.

I have a Parker Thunderhawk the bad thing is they went out of business. I really like Excalibur crossbows that's the one I would buy.

I have a parker challenger (kids / woman’s crosbow). The compact size makes it easier to use with a saddle. Unfortunately, Parker is out of business. When I need a new crossbow, I’ll be picking up a compact / child version. Just for the benefits do shooting out of a saddle.

I have my Parker tomahawk I don’t hunt with it much but looking forward to trying it out in my saddle this year

I injuried and had surgery both shoulders. Couldn't draw back my great plains recurve or my compound. Sold both and bought a horton ultra lite and then a tenpoint shadow (the narrow one) and loved them. Gave the horton to my father in law and kept the tenpoint. Don't shoot my crossbow anymore now that I can hunt with my Matthews triax and now I have an old ben pearson 40lb recurve colt. I may consider selling my tenpoint.

I injuried and had surgery both shoulders. Couldn't draw back my great plains recurve or my compound. Sold both and bought a horton ultra lite and then a tenpoint shadow (the narrow one) and loved them. Gave the horton to my father in law and kept the tenpoint. Don't shoot my crossbow anymore now that I can hunt with my Matthews triax and now I have an old ben pearson 40lb recurve colt. I may consider selling my tenpoint.

Unfortunatly for NYS you have to have a 17" uncocked limb width....So it kills a lot of great crossbows from being used in the state legally

Back