• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who is making strings?

If you're looking for flemish type there's stilldub on Ebay. Both non stretch and B55. I just bought three @ $16 (?). Three days to my door. 1000's of positive reviews. Boys on the Leatherwall push him. :cool:

If you're looking for flemish type there's stilldub on Ebay. Both non stretch and B55. I just bought three @ $16 (?). Three days to my door. 1000's of positive reviews. Boys on the Leatherwall push him. :cool:

I'll support our guys first, but thanks.

I've got two on order. Thanks everyone. Trying endless loop again. Only ever shot them once or twice. I've dropped a couple #'s in draw weight so this may help my arrows spine a little better.

For anyone on this thread I am trying my hand at making a flemish twist with a self made board as instructed by TJ Conrad's Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook . . . Does anyone have a link to a detailed explanation of how the string length for your jig is calculated.

I have only one string made (substantially shot, think I over twisted).... struggling to understand why he recommends adding 9"+ AMO /2 -0.5" for a longbow and then for recurve his recommendation jumps to 16" + AMO/2-0.5"

Are the loops that much bigger what am I missing here?

Any links appreciated

The formula is different for everyone to get final twist ratio as everyone twist different wether tighter or looser but what I would do is let’s say your gonna make a string for a 62” AMO longbow which would typically be a final string length of 59” now lay out your string at what you think is a 62” string setting now get your bundles together measure down 9” and start twisting and make your desired loop size and after you fold over your loop and marry the bundles together you keep twisting and twist 3” past your finished strands and now tie that with a bread tie so now measure from end of loop to where you finished that should be bundle ratio of let’s say 7.5” now do your back twist and measure again and start at 9” and make your next loop and repeat what you did on the first loop and now add your twist to the bundle (20 twist min) pull tight and stretch so what ever that string length is adjust your peg to that string size
I personally like my string ratio to be at least 2 twist per inch or 1 twist every 3/4”
You can fine tune at this point to get to YOUR ratio
Now this is one method to get your feet wet. I have other methods and I personally like my pegs marked for actual string length and not AMO because not all bowyers follow the old rule of thumb because they can be plus or minus 1” to 1.5”
Hope this helps and if more info needed give a shout70857259687__376B4EC7-5B80-47A3-93B9-E58887744BBA.jpeg70857259687__376B4EC7-5B80-47A3-93B9-E58887744BBA.jpeg

Loops are about on average 1.25” for top and .75” for bottom for longbows and about 1.75” top 1” for bottom for recurves but bows vary in width but once you get your formula down you make it what ever size you want :laughing:

I used this article to get started

Keep good notes; if you decide your string is too long or short you can un-braid and re-make it, or start over. B55 is cheap enough.

Strings look great. I've only had time to shoot the Mercury 2. Pretty quiet, plenty fast. I strung to brace and let it sit for a couple hours. Added a couple twists and shot a dozen or so arrows. Came back later and readjusted once more. Since then it hasn't moved.
Take a ways......the top and bottom loops are as perfect as I've ever seen. The pretied nock sets were a great bonus, as were the amsteel silencers.
The strings came with a formula card and note which is appreciated. I'll be a return customer for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230816-170822.png
    Screenshot_20230816-170822.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230816-170808.png
    Screenshot_20230816-170808.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230816-170834.png
    Screenshot_20230816-170834.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Back