• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who's not using a pack and just pouching everything?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
I was packing away my hunting pack last weekend. Realized that I didn't use 80% of things in the pack, even in the colder months. I realized I could carry everything in my pockets except the sticks

With deciding to 1-sticking next season, I'm thinking about just wearing the saddle in and holding my bow (and/or platform) as I walk. Attaching 2-3 pouches(sys haulers to you cool kids). I can carry everything I need and pockets the rest. I might even attach straps to my platform and bungie my bow to it and simply sling it on my back.

Anyway, who here go without a pack if you are hunting for a day? I know it's different if you are on a long trip, deep woods, or colder months.

My biggest thing is water and a pee bottle (I know what everyone says about pee, but I will be Dam*Ed if I am going to play the wind, control scent on clothes and boots, to just pee into the wind off a stand, urine stinks) water I like to help cool down a little quicker once to height and a dry throat or swallowing wrong sucks without water. If I could carry those 2 things I would go packless from now on.

I ditched the pack on my mobile hunt system. I can get away with just the saddle and pants pockets for quick close to the truck hunts. When I'm striking out to go find a place to set up I take a little more than saddle pouches and pants pockets can handle with rain gear and I wanted something to attach my platform to and ended up getting a load bearing vest with molle attachment that covers the entire vest. I attach whatever pouch wherever I need it. Each pouch has its assigned piece of equipment that fits snug so I have limited storage and that keeps me from hauling to much junk. Army surplus has about every size and shape pouch imaginable. I can lose some of the gear I take to lighten there load but there are some luxury items that I use to often while out there to drop them from my stuff so for me I needed a little extra load carrying capacity but u could easy fit the bare necessities between ur pants pockets and a pouch or two....EWO battle belt added to your saddle another good option to attach storage pouches

I am a "what if" guy and I am guilty of carrying stuff I might need rather than what I will need. However, I believe this stems from wanting everything organized and in a system so I can grab and go. If I only hunted public land and was mobile all the time then becoming a minimalist would pay dividends but I hunt fixed position stands on private land as well so differing "stuff" is needed or not needed. On a couple of hunts this year I was headed to public land when cell trail cam pics prompted me to go hunt private. If I didn't have "all" my stuff then I would have lost that flexibility.

I am a "what if" guy and I am guilty of carrying stuff I might need rather than what I will need. However, I believe this stems from wanting everything organized and in a system so I can grab and go. If I only hunted public land and was mobile all the time then becoming a minimalist would pay dividends but I hunt fixed position stands on private land as well so differing "stuff" is needed or not needed. On a couple of hunts this year I was headed to public land when cell trail cam pics prompted me to go hunt private. If I didn't have "all" my stuff then I would have lost that flexibility.
I used to be the same. Extra paracord, extra biners, flagging tape, hunting knife and the list goes on. Finally decided that since I was going to have to go back to the truck to drop all my crap off and pick up the sled to haul him out I really didn’t need to carry that stuff in with me in the first place. All that weight, plus a summit viper was killing me. Clothes too. Extra gloves, extra this that and the other, just in case. I paired down to an under layer, goose down and a shell. Max warmth, least weight. I don’t even carry a bottle of water. Guys are worried about ounces and they are carrying a bottle (or two!) of water that weighs a couple of pounds. Go to survival school, you carry water inside your body, not in a bottle. If you have to have water and there is a water source carry a filter straw, cost less than $15, only weighs a few ounces and will make a thousand gallons of water safe for drinking.

My biggest thing is water and a pee bottle (I know what everyone says about pee, but I will be Dam*Ed if I am going to play the wind, control scent on clothes and boots, to just pee into the wind off a stand, urine stinks) water I like to help cool down a little quicker once to height and a dry throat or swallowing wrong sucks without water. If I could carry those 2 things I would go packless from now on.
I read a controlled study where deer were exposed to several scent sources. The bucks were most attracted to deer urine and their second favorite attractant was human urine. I have read that some guys actually pee in their mock scrapes with good effect.

I read a controlled study where deer were exposed to several scent sources. The bucks were most attracted to deer urine and their second favorite attractant was human urine. I have read that some guys actually pee in their mock scrapes with good effect.

I'm more worried about the sound of the pee hitting dried leaves after falling 25 feet, and also I once lowered my bow and pack into a wet spot.

I am going to a crosspaq next year, tried a Fanny pack this year and really was still carrying too much.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I like a small sling pack besides the stuff on my saddle and harness suspenders because I have everything I could need and the tree hides it's profile well.

Early season it's fine, Badlands tree hugger pack and my muff stuffed. Late season and all day sits though, even a small pack is a must. I sweat like a fat kid in a candy store and wear next to nothing walking to the stand. That and I have to have my coffee when it's really cold.

I am quite the opposite. I hate having crap hanging off my saddle and would rather have everything in a Fanny pack or pack

I didn't mind it last year because I didn't think there was another option. I got my new saddle this year and put it on without dump pouches and was amazed at how light it is, silly I know. I moved my rappel rope to my fanny pack and eliminated one pouch. Looking to try it with 1 pouch or possibly none depending on how practice goes over the spring and summer.

I didn't mind it last year because I didn't think there was another option. I got my new saddle this year and put it on without dump pouches and was amazed at how light it is, silly I know. I moved my rappel rope to my fanny pack and eliminated one pouch. Looking to try it with 1 pouch or possibly none depending on how practice goes over the spring and summer.

That might be another option I have not consider. I have not try walking long distance or actually hanging with noticeable weighted pouches. Common sense would say lighter saddles are more comfortable. especially since I'm using a Recon which main benefit is the flexibility.

Its a little pricey but I might save up for it, have anyone try the Eberlestock Dagger pack? It look as minimalist as it come and very functional.

I have a dagger and absolutely love the size. I took the molle straps out of the molle on the side and strap my mission down on the back with it. I climb on bolts and store those in a pouch. Back to I carry a Gatorade pee bottle, so that takes up a lot of space. With out the bottle it would be perfect, but my own research where I hunt tells me to use the bottle. When I am doing a couple hour morning or afternoon hunt, that is my go to pack everytime.
With that being said I have a Bandit being delivered today.

I have a dagger and absolutely love the size. I took the molle straps out of the molle on the side and strap my mission down on the back with it. I climb on bolts and store those in a pouch. Back to I carry a Gatorade pee bottle, so that takes up a lot of space. With out the bottle it would be perfect, but my own research where I hunt tells me to use the bottle. When I am doing a couple hour morning or afternoon hunt, that is my go to pack everytime.
With that being said I have a Bandit being delivered today.

I look forward to the dagger being on the classified for a good deal if you decide you like the Bandit! :laughing:

Last edited:
It won't go on there. It is a great pack that if nothing else will be a hydration pack for one of my little girls or a run and gun turkey pack. I don't really hunt with decoys.

It won't go on there. It is a great pack that if nothing else will be a hydration pack for one of my little girls or a run and gun turkey pack. I don't really hunt with decoys.

That sound like an even better plan for the pack. Got 3 little girls myself and I'm hoping at least one follow me to the wood. They love venison, I might just cut them off slowly to encourage them to go get some themselves.

My 7yo wants to go after afternoon gobblers this spring. Not sunrise, lololol. My 4 yo wants to go everytime, but can't be quiet for 3 consecutive seconds and still flinches and covers her ears when I shoot my crossbow.

I don't carry anything I don't need to kill a deer. My bow, stand and sticks, and whatever clothes I need bungeed on. I used to take all kinds of stupid things. I also didn't kill as many deer...

Back