• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wind cones for Google Earth?????

IkemanTX

Does anyone know of a way to input some kind of wind cone on google earth?
I feel it would really help narrow down entry setups and stand locations, but I don't know how to go about making them. I am not looking for ACTUAL wind data, just want to be able to build a wind cone for my predominant winds that I can drop into Google earth to help visualize my downwind drift. Does anyone know how this can be done?

There's an app called Huntstand I believe that shows you your cone but only in the app and based on the most recent weather info it has. As for Google maps itself no clue.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I use huntstand for wind. I've checked it on days when we had a front come in with a significant change in wind direction and it updates quickly and accurately. Sorry I'm no help with Google earth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Does anyone know of a way to input some kind of wind cone on google earth?
I feel it would really help narrow down entry setups and stand locations, but I don't know how to go about making them. I am not looking for ACTUAL wind data, just want to be able to build a wind cone for my predominant winds that I can drop into Google earth to help visualize my downwind drift. Does anyone know how this can be done?
When you add a placemark in google earth it allows you to add custom icons. I'm assuming you want to place arrows with the wind direction you should hunt the spot or something like that? You should be able to find or create some arrows facing different directions and load them as your custom icons.

I use huntstand for wind. I've checked it on days when we had a front come in with a significant change in wind direction and it updates quickly and accurately. Sorry I'm no help with Google earth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
If HuntStand let you “create a wind” I would consider it. But, you can only view the wind come when the wind is blowing that direction.
When you add a placemark in google earth it allows you to add custom icons. I'm assuming you want to place arrows with the wind direction you should hunt the spot or something like that? You should be able to find or create some arrows facing different directions and load them as your custom icons.
I guess an arrow could work, but I am looking more for a cone lined up on different degrees. I think 16 total orientations would be perfect. That would cover directions like NNE or WSW etc.
I may have to jump on some google earth forums and see if anyone can figure out a tool.
Someone on the beast mentioned using autoCAD and importing it, but I don’t run (and am not familiar with) that software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there some theory that this "cone" is X degree-deviations from the prevailing wind? Never really thought of wind as a cone, it's really a flow more similar to a stream.

But you could use the "Path" tool to create a cone-looking thing if what I am picturing is what you want, right?

Capture.JPG

Ain't no way any mapping can show a (real world) wind cone unless it is smart enough to take terrain, prevailing (upper loft) wind direction, wind speed, foliage, and other structure into account. All of these ingredients effect wind behavior and each will interact and effect the other.
Even if you look at a topo map, you can somewhat predict what wind SHOULD do in an exact location when a given wind direction flows over it, but when just one (or more) of the major or minor influences change, then the whole concept of a predicted wind cone changes to a certain extent.
Take the leeward side of a ridge for example...Depending on the exact shape of that slope, SURFACE wind patterns will change with a difference in just a few miles per hour and/or just a few degree change in prevailing direction.. A slower wind speed will tend to follow the prevailing wind direction. But a faster speed will often travel in the opposite direction because of eddies and low pressure that the ridge creates. There is no computer program that is smart enough to calculate all the ingredients that effect an evolving wind throughout the day.
The best way to predict wind patterns is to apply prevailing wind direction to terrain. Leeward areas (low pressure area) will have less stability than windward areas (high pressure area).
Get some milkweed and spend boots-on-the-ground time there. In some terrain, it takes a long time to learn and predict wind patterns.
You guys that get to hunt flatland have a lot less of a challenge with crazy wind than us guys in the hills and ridges.

Try Scoutlook Hunting they have a sent cone . I think all a sent cone does is give you the general wind direction. When you get to your tree I would check your wind direction against the sent cone.

google earth wind.jpg

ge wind.jpg

As red squirrel mentioned you can add image overlays like I did

I found a compass and arrow to help mark the wind directions
Arrow show directions of winds
It's easy to tweak the arrow direction, I had one place before I hunted the wind shifted several times and became more southernly
I tweaked that arrow on the swamp I wanted to hunt and adjusted my entry and stand hang based on this visiual

I have multiple small swamps I hunt and I needed to know at a glance which ones to hunt on any particular wind
using the principle of deer bed woods/obstructions to their backs I placed the arrows in that direction

Now when I go out hunting I know which areas are better suited for a particular wind and where to setup based on the wind

Hope this helps

Last edited:
On Google Earth, it is fairly easy to add shapes of various colors, sizes, and transparency. I do it for all my scouting with different icons and shapes to represent whatever I want. I also outline the boundaries of fields and properties. You could easily drop a transparent triangle shape to represent the best winds to hunt. There are lots of videos on YouTube that would explain the "how to" better than I could.

Have you tried an app like hunt stand. It is pretty user friendly and offers weather and what it calls wind zones. It doesn’t take into consideration thermals and terrain features but those vary so much that I doubt any software would be able to reliably predict those things. It just uses the weather forecast and places a icon where you click and you can change the time of day and the wind cone moves with it. Here’s an example of one of the properties I hunt. I need a WNW wind to hunt this the best. But I need a 10mph wind to offset the thermals in the morning because of the pond and a long hill coming down to the edge of this swamp. E5A30E78-0DDD-4C81-8024-AD92BC314470.jpeg
Obviously I can’t hunt this spot this afternoon because the wind would blow right to the deer bedded in the swamp.

Huntstand is very good at wind direction if it changes at predicted times. Also you can put in notes on marked locations to help you remember the best wind direction for each stand location. Just a thought.

I channel the spirit of Dale Earnhardt and he shows me what it’s doing because, even in death ( ), he can still see the wind.

For those times that he’s busy driving God around I use weather underground’s nearest station to get a relative direction and pick locations according to that. Then when I get on site I use milkweed to verify and make my final decision. I also keep up with what the currents do at my stand in relation to the relative direction so I can further narrow my stand selection down in the future.

Note: WU is great, but pay close attention to the actual wind speed and the wind speed reflected by the nearest weather station....sometimes folks put their stations up in an area that either receives deflected wind or no wind at all. You may have to use other stations slightly further away to get more accurate wind readings.

View attachment 7989

View attachment 7986

As red squirrel mentioned you can add image overlays like I did

I found a compass and arrow to help mark the wind directions
It's easy to tweak the arrow direction, I had one place before I hunted the wind shifted several times and became more southernly
I tweaked that arrow on the swamp I wanted to hunt and adjusted my entry and stand hang based on this visiual

I have multiple small swamps I hunt and I needed to know at a glance which ones to hunt on any particular wind
using the principle of deer bed woods/obstructions to their backs I placed the arrows in that direction

Now when I go out hunting I know which areas are better suited for a particular wind and where to setup based on the wind

Hope this helps

These discussions on wind behavior need to keep in context the terrain and structure makeup in, not just our individual regions, but also in the specific stand locations. The differences can be extreme from region to region and individual location to location.

One thing that is the basis of how we predict surface winds is knowing what the prevailing, or winds aloft, are doing. Those winds are associated with fronts and pressure systems and are generally very stable. Go a thousand feet in the air and those winds are not fickle. They are doing what the front dictates... pretty much in a stable compass direction.
But come down to ground level and wind behavior can be erratic. Why? There are a ton of reasons why surface winds aren't doing what the prevailing wind is doing and those behaviors of surface wind interact with each other. Pressure differences caused by wind over complex terrain, coupled with differences in thermals are the main factors of why surface wind can be different than prevailing wind. Keep in mind the differences between table-flat land, and areas with long parallel ridges and then areas of hills that are basically humps with valleys in different directions.

Something about thermals that I never hear anyone discuss is how sun (or shade) across hilly terrain is often not uniform in it's amount of exposure to the sun.
Example: One stand that I hunt is located where an East slope sharply meets a SSW slope. Early in the morning, the sun warms that East slope sooner than the SSW slope. During the earliest period after sunrise, the E slope is in the sun exposure and is beginning to warm under the daytime thermal pattern. The SSW slope is still in the shade and under the nighttime thermal pattern. There are 2 different and distinct thermal patterns locate adjacent to each other going on at the same time. There is a "line" where those opposing thermals meet and that line moves across the landscape as the sun rises in the sky. By mid-morning thru later afternoon the sun is high in the sky and competing thermals fade. But as evening approaches and the sun begins to set, the pattern at that stand reverses as those slopes reverse in their exposer to the sun.
The early morning and late afternoon when we experience the most deer movement, thermal flow in complex terrain is so intricate. Toss-in a partly sunny sky and thermals get even more complicated. How does one put a wind cone or arrow on a map under those circumstances?

An example of how different thermals can be in these 3 areas...
1)Flat land; as the sun does it's arc from sunrise to sunset, heating and cooling is fairly uniform across the landscape. There are also fewer changes in surface pressure. Wind in flatland is much more predictable.
2)Areas with parallel ridges and valleys; Wind patterns are more complex than flatland, but it also has larger areas of sun exposure than than areas of complex structure of hills and valleys. Surface patterns do differ caused by areas of pressure differences but the areas are larger due to larger terrain consistencies.
3)Areas where hills and valleys lay in a complex pattern; Highly complicated wind patterns exist due to competing thermals and also wind eddies. And the wind behaviors in those areas "struggle" with, and effect, each other...its not static.

Just putting cones or arrows on a map in relation to prevailing wind direction works only to a certain extent and depends on endless factors.
Predicting how surface wind will move past our stand depends not only on terrain, but it also varies due to structure on the terrain (cover thickness) and surface wind can change with the slightest change of the prevailing wind angle over the terrain orientation, and, just as importantly...the speed of that wind. A NW prevailing wind blowing over a straight N to S ridge will behave differently on the leeward slope as the wind speed changes.

This is not to say we can't predict wind patterns. We can, but it's far more difficult in some types of terrain than other areas.
What we can rely on pretty well is what the current winds aloft are doing. Most weather sites are fairly accurate and are on the same page as each other in their predictions of prevailing wind, but they are vastly different on surface winds.
Take a look at the hundreds of personal weather stations that are shown on Wundermap (WeatherUnderground). Some of those personal weather stations are only a few miles apart, but they often show wildly differing wind directions than each other. Why? Terrain causes eddies. Our job is to learn how prevailing wind creates surface patterns on our land, and how speed also effects those patterns. No hunting app has a wind cone that can accurately show surface wind.

I like windy.com
It shows an animated screen of winds aloft and the image can be shown on either a satellite image or too map. Both images have value for surface predictions. The top image allows us to "see" the aloft wind in relation to terrain. Predicting what the wind actually does on the surface, more specifically...our terrain around our stand is something a bit more complicated.
The satellite image allows us to "see" the wind in relation to cover patterns where we hunt.

I totally understand that thermal interaction is HIGHLY important, and can often times override predominant wind.
I just simply wanted to find a way to embed a visual of probable scent dispersion on prevailing winds.

Every little bit of simplicity I can add to the maps/aerials of the over 100,000 acres of public land I have to decide between helps. It would be nice to have trees that I know work only on certain winds designated with a permanent scent cone showing that pre-determined prevailing wind right there in the map, so I don’t have to re-read notes on 80-90 trees. That way, I could look, at a glance, at my GE aerials and narrow down the locations to whichever wind is expected.

I totally understand that thermal interaction is HIGHLY important, and can often times override predominant wind.
I just simply wanted to find a way to embed a visual of probable scent dispersion on prevailing winds.

Every little bit of simplicity I can add to the maps/aerials of the over 100,000 acres of public land I have to decide between helps. It would be nice to have trees that I know work only on certain winds designated with a permanent scent cone showing that pre-determined prevailing wind right there in the map, so I don’t have to re-read notes on 80-90 trees. That way, I could look, at a glance, at my GE aerials and narrow down the locations to whichever wind is expected.

why are you focused on scent cones rather than prevailing winds or boots on the ground data

I had the same dilemma in the beginning when scouting lots of properties
so I started adding images in Google Earth for prevailing winds problem solved

why are you focused on scent cones rather than prevailing winds or boots on the ground data

I had the same dilemma in the beginning when scouting lots of properties
so I started adding images in Google Earth for prevailing winds problem solved

I am simply looking for a visual aid for already determined acceptable wind conditions. I am not looking for an actual weather based wind cone like hunt stand has.... I want to set permanent ones on my maps so I don’t have to go into my notes to determine if a stand will work versus my predicted conditions.

The cone is simply the most logically cohesive shape to give you a good idea of direction. I would do just an acronym, but some stands cover too many angles of acceptable wind to do a million letters in an acronym.

On Google Earth, it is fairly easy to add shapes of various colors, sizes, and transparency. I do it for all my scouting with different icons and shapes to represent whatever I want. I also outline the boundaries of fields and properties. You could easily drop a transparent triangle shape to represent the best winds to hunt. There are lots of videos on YouTube that would explain the "how to" better than I could.

I think this is probably the solution I am looking for. I already use a few custom icons, but wasn’t aware I could import and embed photos.

Back