• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

XOP Edge v Trophyline EDP

Pattywhacker

I hunt the northeast (VT, NY, ME), I've got size 12 boots and used the Mission all last year with 3, cable aider, standard beast sticks. I'm a huge fan and will be keeping that platform and sticks. I'm interested in adding a slightly more narrow and lighter platform this year and am considering the EDP or the Edge.

The stags in the wild gave a great review on YouTube and Cody gave his jeep wrangler video, for his platform on YouTube as well.

Anyone have reviews on thoughts on these two?

I hunt the northeast (VT, NY, ME), I've got size 12 boots and used the Mission all last year with 3, cable aider, standard beast sticks. I'm a huge fan and will be keeping that platform and sticks. I'm interested in adding a slightly more narrow and lighter platform this year and am considering the EDP or the Edge.

The stags in the wild gave a great review on YouTube and Cody gave his jeep wrangler video, for his platform on YouTube as well.

EDP - bigger platform, lighter platform.

@enkriss yea, I'm tracking that, I just know some get leaked products before they hit mainstream. More or less looking talk pros/cons on design/concept of the tribe.

Just conjecture, but the Edge platform may have a bigger V angle, which may allow it to perform better on slightly wider trees.

There will be loads on them by summer. Buy twice, sell once......until you buy again.

EDP will be available next month, Edge says next fall. Might also play a role in the decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDP will be available next month, Edge says next fall. Might also play a role in the decision

Hmm. I saw the Edge will be available for this fall, therefore expected it to come out earlier than the fall.

I personally think the big stand companies could have advanced the saddle game years ago and chose not to, because they didn’t see a potential market for it. Now they are jumping in and some even made a substandard saddle (no name dropping for me). I try to support the saddle companies that are specialized for saddle hunting. Even though they may not have the financial resources of the big box stands, these are usually guys that saddle hunt and recognize needs of us saddle hunters. So in the spirit of growth of the little guy and also because Trophyline’s first platform is amazing, I’d go for the EDP over the XOP. It’s lighter and slightly larger. It’s also made here in the USA and I doubt the XOP is. That’s my rant now I am done.

XOP isn't quite the same as Hawk, given its D'Acquisto lineage and direction, and Novix made the Mission for Trophyline. Both came out of Lone Wolf. Neither are the little guy. Lone Wolf was in the saddle game years ago. They were once a little guy.

I do agree on the difference of one being made in the USA.

Last edited:
Hmm. I saw the Edge will be available for this fall, therefore expected it to come out earlier than the fall.
It’s taking longer to have things imported during the pandemic... so a lot of companies that would have
XOP isn't quiet the same as Hawk, given its D'Acquisto lineage and direction, and Novix made the Mission for Trophyline. Both came out of Lone Wolf. Neither are the little guy. Lone Wolf was in the saddle game years ago. They were once a little guy.

I do agree on the difference of one being made in the USA.
Trophy line might be bigger than I realize because I don’t know who bought it from the Green family. And i agree with you, however it seems funny that the saddle platform wasn’t really available until the success of the Tethrd predator. I mean if I had been making it for decades, I would have invested money on marketing it to grow the product. They definitely invested to market their tree stands. Especially with D’Acquisto being the man as far as elevated hunting stands were concerned.

It’s taking longer to have things imported during the pandemic... so a lot of companies that would have

Trophy line might be bigger than I realize because I don’t know who bought it from the Green family. And i agree with you, however it seems funny that the saddle platform wasn’t really available until the success of the Tethrd predator. I mean if I had been making it for decades, I would have invested money on marketing it to grow the product. They definitely invested to market their tree stands. Especially with D’Acquisto being the man as far as elevated hunting stands were concerned.

This might help:

The Tethrd Predator takes its stock from Klemz, which used the Lone Wolf seat as a platform like the Assassin.E235C7B3-BAAF-4FB4-8057-22CFD7A5B623.png

Last edited:
I like to put the arch of my foot on the edge of the platform, so I’m concerned about that bump out on the EDP. I loved Greg’s review but I’m still looking to see if someone can fit their feet on the edge comfortably on the sides of that bump out.

I like to put the arch of my foot on the edge of the platform, so I’m concerned about that bump out on the EDP. I loved Greg’s review but I’m still looking to see if someone can fit their feet on the edge comfortably on the sides of that bump out.

Slice and Dice. Similarly, the Edge has that tow rope.

For reference, 9:23 of Greg's review shows his feet on the edge outside the "handle"

Slice and Dice. Similarly, the Edge has that tow rope.

For reference, 9:23 of Greg's review shows his feet on the edge outside the "handle"

Yeah it was just such a short clip that is was hard to tell. It looked like his boots were barely making it. I’m thinking my heavy lacrosse boots would overhang the corners.

The Tethrd Predator takes its stock from Klemz, which used the Lone Wolf seat as a platform like the Assassin.View attachment 45155
I am pretty sure there is documentation of native Americans hunting from trees centuries ago (although without stands or saddles.) the Japanese snipers used platforms during WW2, to shoot enemies from trees. The Andy stand came out before the 1970’s. I am not trying to argue with the articles you have. All I am saying is I listened to an interview with Brad Kuhnert from ATA last year when they were reintroducing or introducing whichever, the lone wolf platform. Brad showed his method of saddle hunting which in essence is a linesman belt only like the old telephone and utilities workers used back then. He is patenting a metal ring that you strap to the tree and hook a lineman’s rope or webbing through the ring. You are essentially unable to sit down. The whole set up and his descriptions made me cringe (as I am a utility worker by trade and would never dream of hunting from an old school lineman’s belt and a buck squeeze, because it’s uncomfortable to be in it for very long! Thank God for bucket trucks - anyway back to my point. I don’t doubt the man especially not after his affiliation with Lone Wolf but he is a far cry from listening to Eberhart talk about saddles and his experience, at least in my opinion.

I am pretty sure there is documentation of native Americans hunting from trees centuries ago (although without stands or saddles.) the Japanese snipers used platforms during WW2, to shoot enemies from trees. The Andy stand came out before the 1970’s. I am not trying to argue with the articles you have. All I am saying is I listened to an interview with Brad Kuhnert from ATA last year when they were reintroducing or introducing whichever, the lone wolf platform. Brad showed his method of saddle hunting which in essence is a linesman belt only like the old telephone and utilities workers used back then. He is patenting a metal ring that you strap to the tree and hook a lineman’s rope or webbing through the ring. You are essentially unable to sit down. The whole set up and his descriptions made me cringe (as I am a utility worker by trade and would never dream of hunting from an old school lineman’s belt and a buckshot squeeze, because it’s uncomfortable to be in it for very long! Thank God for bucket trucks - anyway back to my point. I don’t doubt the man especially not after his affiliation with Lone Wolf but he is a far cry from listening to Eberhart talk about saddles and his experience, at least in my opinion.

Eberhart uses ROS.

Eberhart uses ROS.
Yes he does. And he uses a two piece saddle. Never once has he claimed his bridge prevented him from shooting his bow and never once has he claimed a tether could stop you from moving around the tree. Both of which Kuhnert does in the video you attached. I did think it was cool seeing the old platforms although it’s weird. I have some steel hang ons that after 2 season had a ton of rust on them and paint peeling. I noticed his 20 plus year old platforms had hardly any rust at all and the one with marine rope, the rope wasn’t even faded. Anyway sorry this turned into some long drawn out thing. I was just making the point that I would personally support trophy line over XOP. It’s all opinions. Thank you for the you tube video attachment it was entertaining.

Back