• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

XOP Sit & Climb

Arkie

SH Member
This may get moved to the “shame” thread, but I randomly decided to take a look at the local Craigslist listings the other night and happened across an XOP Sit & Climb that was brand new for under $200 with all the original items such as the stabilizer straps, harness, and they had even added a waist belt and shoulder straps.

I took it home and tried it out for a while wondering around my back yard. I have to admit, after getting the seat tightness adjusted & cutting the back of the seat off, this thing is pretty sweet. I feel like I may have been missing out here with how simple and quiet it is.

Of course, a climber may not work in all situations, but for $175 it seemed like it’d be worth adding it to the toolbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allegedly XOP is bringing back an updated version in December. Supposed to be lighter but a similar size platform. If that’s the case, I may pick one up. I had their hand climber but not the sit and climb.

Last edited:
I think heard that on someone’s YouTube channel recently.

I looked around for a LWHC.
When I was practicing with this one, I was using it more like a hand climber versus sitting down.

I was going to take the bar off, but I think it may come in handy. You can set the top higher than you would if you were sitting in it and lean back on the bar and face the tree. I would be using a rock climbing harness, so if I was in a spot that I had to face the tree, the bar could work. Your shot is a little limited doing that, but if that’s the way you need to set up, it would be alright. Minimal weight savings if I took it off anyway.

Allegedly XOP is bringing back an updated version in December. Supposed to be lighter but a similar size platform. If that’s the case, I may pick one up. I had their hand climber but not the sit and climb.
I’d like to see something like this on the market. I like my saddle, but a small, packable, and lightweight climber would be a huge asset to the “toolbox”! LWCG/XOP seem to be a company that really listens to the market. Fingers crossed.

It really surprised me at how quiet you could get unpacked and up a tree. Not to mention, it folds up to 4 or 5” thick.
I haven’t used a climber consistently in several years and when I was using one it was always a Summit, so I’m not sure it was even a fair comparison.

I’d like to see something like this on the market. I like my saddle, but a small, packable, and lightweight climber would be a huge asset to the “toolbox”! LWCG/XOP seem to be a company that really listens to the market. Fingers crossed.

LWCG is supposed to be coming out with one as well but it's probably going to be upwards of a $1K.

Like hang ons, one of the biggest issues I have with climbers them is how wide they are. If you’re huntjng a known location in open woods, having a stand stick out 3” on either side of you and above you no big deal. But for scouting/blind huntjng, it just doesn’t work.

I would have never even looked into saddle huntjng if someone had come out with a stand the dimensions of the beast stand. 16x30 always seemed perfect to me.

I looked at barren ridge climbing platform on website and they say it’s 14.5” wide. My instinct is to say a climber platform 16” wide max, but much longer, would be useful. Having said that, anyone with experience with the barren ridge on larger diameter trees? It lists a 16” diameter as the biggest it could handle. I prefer hunting as small of a tree as is possible in the right spot. But it seems like most trees I could use a climber in are going to be 12-24” diameter.

If the width of the platform doesn’t impact the high side of tree size I could see it being useful.

I agree. If it was 16” wide versus 19.5”, I think it would nearly be the perfect set up for me.

That said, packed up, it’s about 21.5- 22” wide.
My hybrid is around 20” wide, 24” wide with my Beast Sticks on it, so it’s essentially the same footprint.

I think heard that on someone’s YouTube channel recently.

I looked around for a LWHC.
When I was practicing with this one, I was using it more like a hand climber versus sitting down.

I was going to take the bar off, but I think it may come in handy. You can set the top higher than you would if you were sitting in it and lean back on the bar and face the tree. I would be using a rock climbing harness, so if I was in a spot that I had to face the tree, the bar could work. Your shot is a little limited doing that, but if that’s the way you need to set up, it would be alright. Minimal weight savings if I took it off anyway.

pros and cons to that bar.

pros- firearms and xbows have a shooting rest and it is a really stable shot if the deer is in front of you.
cons- it can get in the way for vertical bows on your bottom limb.

i like it so much for firearms i will give up the saddle for rifle/shotgun and muzzy season and lug that beast 2 miles if i have to. anything over 100yds it really comes in handy having that bar.

pros and cons to that bar.

pros- firearms and xbows have a shooting rest and it is a really stable shot if the deer is in front of you.
cons- it can get in the way for vertical bows on your bottom limb.

i like it so much for firearms i will give up the saddle for rifle/shotgun and muzzy season and lug that beast 2 miles if i have to. anything over 100yds it really comes in handy having that bar.

I think I’m going to leave it, but unless I’m facing the tree, I will likely tuck it under the seat so it’s out of the way when bow hunting.

I’ve ordered a Hazemore silent seat for it as well. They may give me a little more space when standing.

Like hang ons, one of the biggest issues I have with climbers them is how wide they are. If you’re huntjng a known location in open woods, having a stand stick out 3” on either side of you and above you no big deal. But for scouting/blind huntjng, it just doesn’t work.

I would have never even looked into saddle huntjng if someone had come out with a stand the dimensions of the beast stand. 16x30 always seemed perfect to me.

I looked at barren ridge climbing platform on website and they say it’s 14.5” wide. My instinct is to say a climber platform 16” wide max, but much longer, would be useful. Having said that, anyone with experience with the barren ridge on larger diameter trees? It lists a 16” diameter as the biggest it could handle. I prefer hunting as small of a tree as is possible in the right spot. But it seems like most trees I could use a climber in are going to be 12-24” diameter.

If the width of the platform doesn’t impact the high side of tree size I could see it being useful.

JX3 seat is 20" wide

Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber is 19.5" wide

I agree. If it was 16” wide versus 19.5”, I think it would nearly be the perfect set up for me.

That said, packed up, it’s about 21.5- 22” wide.
My hybrid is around 20” wide, 24” wide with my Beast Sticks on it, so it’s essentially the same footprint.

I guess you already made that point (I was out for a run).

I can say that if JX3 made a 16-20" wide LW style climbing platform, done deal.

At 13lbs plus say 5 for a platform it would outclass the climbers imo.

Ended up taking the sit bar off.
Wasn’t bad, but after some more climbs, it seemed to be in the way more than I used it.
Saved a little weight there and then swapped the seat out for the Hazemore silent seat.

My only gripe so far is the way the belt locks.
I don’t mind unscrewing it because you can do it quietly and you only need to do one side, but it’s a “pain” to hold the locking device up and feed the belt in/out. Looks like the LW version is more simple.

Back