• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Youtube is dead

elk yinzer

SH Member
I took a 6 month break from it and tried to be entertained by the algorithms. I was not. At all. Feels very much like myspace circa when I graduated from high school. A pioneer that went a skosh too far way, way too many times. Stale to the point of becoming archaeology.

Good run. Some positive and negative externalities, but I was enetertained by a lot of it.

What is next? Where are we headed in the world of free and sometimes brain rotting outdoor entertainment?

I took a 6 month break from it and tried to be entertained by the algorithms. I was not. At all. Feels very much like myspace circa when I graduated from high school. A pioneer that went a skosh too far way, way too many times. Stale to the point of becoming archaeology.

Good run. Some positive and negative externalities, but I was enetertained by a lot of it.

What is next? Where are we headed in the world of free and sometimes brain rotting outdoor entertainment?
To rumble :sweatsmile:

Might as well just call it “AdTube”. It used to be kind of nice to be able to watch content on YouTube - that has changed. Compare the amount of time hitting the “Skip Ad” button vs actual quality content and it’s kind of a waste of time. It’s non-stop advertising and clowns saying “hit the like and subscribe button”. Tried to put url blockers on my router to block the ads but that only worked for a day or so.

Might as well just call it “AdTube”. It used to be kind of nice to be able to watch content on YouTube - that has changed. Compare the amount of time hitting the “Skip Ad” button vs actual quality content and it’s kind of a waste of time. It’s non-stop advertising and clowns saying “hit the like and subscribe button”. Tried to put url blockers on my router to block the ads but that only worked for a day or so.

I have AdGone Ad Blocker and it does pretty good at blocking those stupid YouTube ads.

I’ve wasted a lot of hours going down the YouTube rabbit hole. But it’s now full of ads and clickbait. Even THP started using clickbaity titles the past couple of seasons. I’m trying to keeping YouTube strictly for educational purposes and not entertainment. It’s a real time suck. The OG THP is on Amazon Prime.
Hunting podcasts are kind of the same way. It’s really all the same stuff regurgitated. I think listening to them gives you a sense of accomplishment or something but in reality a lot of the pertinent info to kill deer is out there somewhere already. Plus right now it’s not real entertaining listening to someone talk about hanging trail cameras and “glassing” or whatever. Just read a book.

I’ve wasted a lot of hours going down the YouTube rabbit hole. But it’s now full of ads and clickbait. Even THP started using clickbaity titles the past couple of seasons. I’m trying to keeping YouTube strictly for educational purposes and not entertainment. It’s a real time suck. The OG THP is on Amazon Prime.
Hunting podcasts are kind of the same way. It’s really all the same stuff regurgitated. I think listening to them gives you a sense of accomplishment or something but in reality a lot of the pertinent info to kill deer is out there somewhere already. Plus right now it’s not real entertaining listening to someone talk about hanging trail cameras and “glassing” or whatever. Just read a book.

It's the clickbait that is really a problem from an entertainment standpoint. So much noise to cut through. And the algorithms and subscription incentives push noise over editorial artistry.

From an informational standpoint, it's the problem as old as words immemorial. Spot burn at your own enjoyment.

Youtube is one of the few apps I pay for and about my the only entertainment I consume outside of books.

In general, I think algorithms have become detrimentally pervasive. There's something borderline insidious about showing somebody only what you "know" they'll like and will make you money on a platform that's ostensibly providing unprecedented variety for "free."

The internet is a genie. It gives you exactly what you ask it for, with a twist. If it picks up on your bias or a weak spot (political leaning, sensitivity to content that outrages you, whatever) it feeds you that hard.

The key to staying in control is to "touch grass" as much as possible, know that the algorithm is written to feed you more of what you just asked for, and to come to it with a very specific need and then refuse to stay once the need is met. It's a hard truth to swallow that if the algorithms are feeding you garbage, then you're asking it for garbage. Even if you hate yourself once you've eaten it.

If you can keep all of that in mind, youtube has a lot of really awesome content still. Paying for premium means you lose ads and can download stuff for when you don't have signal. It's worth it to me just to be able to chill and listen to David Suchet read the Bible, watch the old Huston Smith PBS series, catch a few podcasts, and listen to Thich Nhat Han's dharma talks.

Way more interesting stuff than the drivel my wife watches on other platforms.

Adblocker YouTube extension stops all ads. If on Android, the non play store app called YouTube Vanced completely blocks all ads and even embedded ads in the videos. I literally haven't seen a YouTube ad in years

Last edited:
I do not have the app or an account. I run brave browser and a VPN and never get ads. I use it mainly for how to videos (how to replace a headlight on a vehicle, how to fix a Samsung dryer, etc) or I watch @Nutterbuster videos to learn techniques and ideas. There are good people out there putting out good info. I guess I’m neutral and can’t blame someone for trying to make some extra money. The Bowmars are the algorithm. THP is the algorithm. I choose not to watch their videos. Average Jack, sure. @Nutterbuster sure. I feel like I can tell when someone has flipped. For example, Lee and SeekOne. One hundred percent only care about views and the algorithm and likes and views. It’s like a cheesy actor selling you non scratch pans or extra sharp knives from Japan.

You skip the "stuck poop" add. Come on now. That's the best entertainment on Youtube. lol.

It's hilarious how they're too lazy to place adds that make sense for the content.

I do not have the app or an account. I run brave browser and a VPN and never get ads. I use it mainly for how to videos (how to replace a headlight on a vehicle, how to fix a Samsung dryer, etc) or I watch @Nutterbuster videos to learn techniques and ideas. There are good people out there putting out good info. I guess I’m neutral and can’t blame someone for trying to make some extra money. The Bowmars are the algorithm. THP is the algorithm. I choose not to watch their videos. Average Jack, sure. @Nutterbuster sure. I feel like I can tell when someone has flipped. For example, Lee and SeekOne. One hundred percent only care about views and the algorithm and likes and views. It’s like a cheesy actor selling you non scratch pans or extra sharp knives from Japan.
Good ol Nick Williams Outdoors, still catching minnows and proud!!!!

It’s sometimes weird to see the guys that pretty much changed who they used to be in order to sell ads, get sponsorships and for views. Deer meat for dinner is one I used to enjoy but the guy definitely got super big, started the clickbait, buy this type content, and now I don’t watch him. Found out that Outdoor Allie isn’t the person she used to portray in her older videos, so I rarely pay attention to her stuff anymore. I have become a fan of the smaller you tube guys that go out self filming, raw footage and that don’t seem to really care as long as they are having fun. There is a young kid that just got out the army, and lives a couple counties away from me, his channel is Trailing Whitetails. Footage is pretty raw, but you can tell he’s working on his editing and upgrading camera/mics ect…. He is super energetic and a real nice guy. I enjoy his content but it’s not really helpful to most experienced hunters.

Tik-Tok judging by my 4 girls zombie like screen face.

My wife subscribes to ad free. I prefer to live dangerously and finger the skip ad button on my phone while driving.

Smash that like button and let me know what you think in the comments.

I can't say exactly when it happened but I just stopped watching THP. There was a tipping point somewhere there where the content turned a corner, and they didn't feel like the little guys anymore going against the mainstream. Not saying it's bad content, it just changed. I'm starting to really get that feeling from Dan Infalt. It's not the commercialization so much with him but the need to be constantly creating content. You can only say so much about buck bedding so many times in so many ways. I sort of think it was when Josh came on board and you can tell that he wanted to make a full time job out of promoting Dan. Don't get me wrong, I like Josh and the content he makes, but I think they just need to maybe go for quality over quantity.

I can't say exactly when it happened but I just stopped watching THP. There was a tipping point somewhere there where the content turned a corner, and they didn't feel like the little guys anymore going against the mainstream. Not saying it's bad content, it just changed. I'm starting to really get that feeling from Dan Infalt. It's not the commercialization so much with him but the need to be constantly creating content. You can only say so much about buck bedding so many times in so many ways. I sort of think it was when Josh came on board and you can tell that he wanted to make a full time job out of promoting Dan. Don't get me wrong, I like Josh and the content he makes, but I think they just need to maybe go for quality over quantity.
Agree 100%. I don't watch any hunting programs anymore. Dan's a smart guy, but I quickly realized the tactics he uses in Wisconsin swamps do not apply whatsoever on any level to PA mtn hunting.
I strongly advise people start becoming their own best teachers and pay attention to what the deer do in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Eh I still like YouTube, it just takes slightly more work to find content I'm looking for these days because the algorithms seem to be a tighter loop than they used to be. I like to learn how to make things and watch people do projects i will likely never be able to do, like building wooden boats and timber frame houses and such (been down a recurring Japanese and Korean woodworking rabbit hole lately). It's also still great for learning/relearning fishing knots (brushing up on egg loops and mooching rigs for my upcoming Alaska trip) and how to splice amsteel (diy aiders/daisy chains etc) or craftier types of diy like that.

As for the ads, I grew up having a few channels of regular TV only, so I'm used to commercials. I don't pay for cable these days either.

Adblocker YouTube extension stops all ads. If on Android, the non play store app called YouTube Vanced completely blocks all ads and even embedded ads in the videos. I literally haven't seen a YouTube ad in years
Is there an equivalent for a Samsung Dumb TV?

Back