• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Old Singer

Maustypsu

I am looking at a few now. Committed to buying one.

I see the 201 gets really high marks as perhaps their best machine.
The 15-91 is considered Light-Commercial by some so probably the toughest one they made for home use.
The 66 was very popular as well.

Would those who have the 66 or other models let me know that they are fine for stitching this webbing? I was leaning toward the 15-91 but perhaps I really don't need more than any basic Singer from the period.

I will be doing some test sewing tomorrow at a used machine shop. I'll make sure to take a bunch of pictures. I want to be able to do any of the stitching you see on an evo. I realize that's more than some of the minimalist sales require, but I figure I'll never sew anything heavier than the back band with all the criss crossed webbing and padding on the evo. The orange saddle I have been working on is going to require some similar weight stitching.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

swampsnyper said:
I've been thinking of the idea of buying one since i like to tinker but its hard for a man to buy a sewing machine. lol
I was looking at these.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... y&_sacat=0

Have no experience with what to get with our intensions. Just searched heavy duty singer. Heck I just made an arrow purchase for more than these machines.

Swamp, I can't say that these won't work for what we are doing. But the idea of a Singer for most was to get one of the old (1880;s-1960's) all Cast Iron parts Singer sewing machine. Something more like these...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=singer 66&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=150&_udhi

swampsnyper said:
I've been thinking of the idea of buying one since i like to tinker but its hard for a man to buy a sewing machine. lol
I was looking at these.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... y&_sacat=0

Have no experience with what to get with our intensions. Just searched heavy duty singer. Heck I just made an arrow purchase for more than these machines.

I was looking at those and did some research, but I don't think they will hold up for what we want.

Red, I have a beautiful old one that I contacted somebody about on Monday... He wants $45. I could probably sell the decals from this machine for that. All of the scrolling is really nice and the metal looks pristine.

He is waiting until the 14th for someone to buy it... I tried the whole "are you new to Craigslist, you will get stood up..." approach. Unfortunately this is one of those honest people who wants to stand by their word... hehe.

Maustypsu said:
Red, I have a beautiful old one that I contacted somebody about on Monday... He wants $45. I could probably sell the decals from this machine for that. All of the scrolling is really nice and the metal looks pristine.

He is waiting until the 14th for someone to buy it... I tried the whole "are you new to Craigslist, you will get stood up..." approach. Unfortunately this is one of those honest people who wants to stand by their word... hehe.

lol. Which model? Hopefully it will hang around until you can get it!

Well, I bought one. None of the machines would do everything I wanted it to, but this one did a lot. It was 135 with the base, or 80 without. The best part is she said try it out for a week or two and if you don't like it, bring it back......
15add562d5dab8139614e7c2c7b8a71e.jpg

For those interested, it's a 15-91. She was telling me the only difference between it and a 201 was the throat depth. And the price.

Those are the best kind of machines for us...Simple and idiot proof.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

g2outdoors said:
flinginairos said:
That looks nice! I need to find an old one like that.
They're all over craigslist.

I look from time to time on there but haven't found any yet. I do find it funny a bunch of grown men talking about sewing machines LOL

Sent from space

Whoa whoa whoa - I only talk about thread injectors for fabricating and engineering hunting products - never about girly sewing machines.

g2outdoors said:
Whoa whoa whoa - I only talk about thread injectors for fabricating and engineering hunting products - never about girly sewing machines.

Right!!

Sent from space

Re: RE: Re: New Old Singer

g2outdoors said:

I'm not sure what's worse: you guys talking about sewing or me regretting not learning how to do it. I've been thinking about it. I like your way of explaining it. It's all in the delivery I guess.

Shaun

The little lady just told me she had this out in the garage.... Will this work for sewing saddles?

IMG_20160211_195400_01_zpszqp86g2l.jpg

Back