• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smoking clothes

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
There was a lot of discussion on this topic last year. Is anyone planning to smoke their clothes this year?

I know flingin was a big fan last year.

I built a cabinet and bought a bee smoker, but since I have always tried to go scent free, it seems against all the rules......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will likely do it if I sneak out for an early season evening hunt. Won't have time to do the scent free routine so I will give the smoke a chance. I have a bee smoker and used 2-3 times last season. I didn't see anything that tells me it works or that it doesn't work.

My friend has a friend who has a neighbor whose niece married a guy whose dad used to do it and he was known as Daniel Boone Jr... that's about the quality of the proof I have.

I've been smoking my clothes for the last 6 seasons and can't remember being winded by a deer, in my opinion hunters get busted by movement more than they get winded by deer.

the smell never bothered me but not nose doesn't work real good. my wife comments about the smoke smell in the garage at least once a week for the last 2 years. I still haven't told her the reason...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have had too many good experiences with it to stop. At the beginning of last season I tried the "Scent free" approach, washing my clothes, dressing in the woods and spraying down. Seemed like a was getting busted every time. I started smoking my gear again and saw a big difference. I had three bucks feeding within 20 yards of me in Ohio and I watched them sniff the air as they were downwind of me but they never showed any sign of alarm. The one event that really opened my eyes was a doe that caught the scent stream downwind and she came walking in blowing every 30 seconds or so but she was getting closer lol. She ended up 20 yards from me and eventually settled down and fed by me in range. My dad also smoked his gear last year and he killed our #1 target buck after having 10+ deer walk by him in range that evening. It certainly doesn't hurt anything lol

My comments above were joking - playing on the term "smoking"

On the serious side I have tired it and had some deer react poorly, some that didn't care and some that were curious (as mentioned above)..... I have not seen a good mature buck that hit my downstream scent stay around. Fire itself is a threat to deer. But I know some swear by it as did a lot of Indians. I have had very mixed results.

I can say this. I've never had a mature deer (buck or doe) wind me and stick around when I wasn't using smoke. I have had them wind me with smoke and sort of stick around. In my experience the smoke keeps them from blowing and stomping and ruining my hunt. They still generally move away, but in a less threatened manner. So I would say that it works for the most part.

Could someone with experience please explain the basic "smoking " setup.

I have used smoke for 5 years now and I will never buy anymore of the store bought scent killer stuff again.
Smoke has never ruined my hunt, as far as I know.
Deer usually get a little "What's that look" on their face but then settles down and heads on with their business.
I like using smoke and my hunting pals are using smoke now.

Huck--- ALL I do to smoke my clothes....
Needs...painters plastic

Sorry, somehow I accidently posted that.
I'll start over with Huck's question

Needs:
Pop up blind or build a box
Charcoal starter rack
Leaves and or sticks (small)--- I use leaves
Tub/plastic bags

Now just hang/put everything you use for hunting, (everything) inside your box or blind.
Stuff the charcoal rack tight with leaves.
Lay the rack on its side and light fire to the leaves at one end.
Leave rack on its side and in minutes, you will have all the smoke you want.
Place the smoked items in a tub or plastic bags.
The ash that is left, I rub the bottoms of my boots in the ash to cover my trail.
Get dressed at your parking spot and head in to hunt.
If you use sticks for smoke, I use the burned ends of the sticks for face paint.

Do not smoke you face mask!!!!

I bought a metal closet off of craigslist for $20. Then the bee smoker on Amazon I believe for under $10. I was thinking of trying an amazing smoker in the cabinet this year and keeping the bee smoker for the road. The closet is great because I can hang ask my clothes on hangers while they smoke.

http://www.amazenproducts.com

I use one in my food smoker, and they work awesome.
339323b3964fd3da223a7804f25c953f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I use a bee smoker with wood chips and a torch to light them. Sticks, leaves, wood chips... Doesn't really matter.

I fire up the bee smoker and hit all my clothes/boots/saddle/everything that goes in the woods. I always hung everything on my fence and smoked away. A closet of some kind would be easier. After you hit everything with smoke, put them in bins. I would do a full resmoke after every 3-5 hunts. If I had time I'd fire up the bee smoker at my truck and do a quick once over before the hunt.

It doesn't take much smoke to work. If you use too much it's really overpowering.

I bought the bee smoker on amazon. The woodchips and torch came from Walmart. Torch was in plumbing section.

Onsite, little news paper and Bic lighter will get the wood chips going in the bee smoker.
I also smoke my hair - after you are sure the paper has burned. You don't want that shoot in our half burned. And of course The Web got smoked good.

Can't say it works. I know that my scent control routine does. But smoking is easy.

I'm glad this thread came up. I planned to ask the same question as the OP, but hadn't gotten around to it. I purchased the bee smoker, chips and torch, but have been hesitating to go through with it. Thanks for easing my hesitation! Time to blow smoke! :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Back