• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Switching to Amsteel

ADKMtnTrapper

So I have been reading a lot about you guys using Amsteel for your saddles and accessories. I originally was looking to get a 7/16" for my tether/linesman belt, 1/4" bridge, then 5/16" for my sticks(converting to the versa button). But its going to get a little pricey, about $75.

So I was thinking that if I use 5/16"(8mm) for everything it would simplify things greatly and would save me about $30.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks - ADK

Are you referring to 5/16 amsteel?

Except for Dave's sticks, the amsteel discussion is still ongoing, just because no one has actually started using it yet. So I can't recommend anything at this point. I do think That whatever diamater you should should be sufficient for all uses though.

Yes id like to go with all 5/16 amsteel. I know someone mentioned that the 7/16 is stiffer and moves up a tree a little easier but i am wondering if it is worth it. At this point ill probably go for all being the same size.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My only experience is with 7/64 amsteel for hammock whoopie slings. That stuff is crazy strong. I can't imagine that you'd have any issues with 5/16 Amsteel. I plan on going with either 1/4 or 3/16 for my bridge. There's video on YouTube of some folks lifting cars with 3/16.

g2outdoors said:
My only experience is with 7/64 amsteel for hammock whoopie slings. That stuff is crazy strong. I can't imagine that you'd have any issues with 5/16 Amsteel. I plan on going with either 1/4 or 3/16 for my bridge. There's video on YouTube of some folks lifting cars with 3/16.

I saw that, that's crazy! I am not worried about strength, I'm more curious about the benefits of having the thicker rope for a lineman's belt. I think I'm going with the 5/16 even if just for the fact that it comes in OD Green, I am looking forward to the changes I have coming this year with saddle hunting!

Maybe we can get Red to run out back and try the 1/4" amsteel as a linemans belt(while the baby is sleeping of course). :lol: I have not handled the stuff, but my concern would be it doesnt have a spine(very limp and of course light). Im not sure how easy it would be to keep fishing it up the tree. Also you would likely be using the whoopie feature and not sure thats very easy to do while in the air. Even though Im looking to upgrade my tether, I have no intentions of using amsteel for a lineman at this time. I love the ropeman1 for a lineman belt and not giving that up just yet. I will get the larger diameter amsteel for the tether so it will work with the ropeman1 and might play with that for a lineman. Yes its over kill for strength, but the ropeman1 needs 9mm I think as its minimum diameter to work. Im currently using an old LW tether for a lineman.

kenn1320 said:
Maybe we can get Red to run out back and try the 1/4" amsteel as a linemans belt(while the baby is sleeping of course). :lol:

2 things: We have a foot and a half of snow out back right now, so I have been less than motivated to go out there to do things, and our baby refuses to sleep :lol:

I'm not sure of amsteel as a lineman's belt either. I don't think the whoopie would work very well, and using a ropeman on it is still up in the air...

redsquirrel said:
kenn1320 said:
Maybe we can get Red to run out back and try the 1/4" amsteel as a linemans belt(while the baby is sleeping of course). :lol:

2 things: We have a foot and a half of snow out back right now, so I have been less than motivated to go out there to do things, and our baby refuses to sleep :lol:

I'm not sure of amsteel as a lineman's belt either. I don't think the whoopie would work very well, and using a ropeman on it is still up in the air...

You act as if that snow is a bad thing? Remember your testing fall equipment, think of it as a big air mattress, sorta, kinda. :lol:

kenn1320 said:
redsquirrel said:
kenn1320 said:

You act as if that snow is a bad thing? Remember your testing fall equipment, think of it as a big air mattress, sorta, kinda. :lol:

LOL

I'm pretty confident a whoopie as a tether would be really annoying. They can be very finicky for hammocking purposes on the ground - much less 25' up a tree. If I end up using it as a tether it will be with a prussic or Ropeman.

I also agree with all the comments about using it as a Lineman belt. The heavier/thicker stuff could be really good as a LB but I don't have any experience with it. I want the Amsteel to work as a tether and LB because I could literally stuff both in my pocket and walk to the stand. However, I think that might be wishful thinking.

It will totally work as a bridge.

Thanks guys great feedback! I have yet to use the linemans belt. But i can always keep the aero lineman for when i need one. But it sounds like a sound idea to use it for a tether and for my sticks.

And RED im sorry to hear about the baby not sleepin. Ill be the first to simpithize with you on that. My boy will be 3 in April and he will still get up at least 4 times a week and when he was young he would be up 5 to 6 times a night! Hang in there itll either get better or youll get used to it [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Someone asked me to take a look at this and for my thoughts - not that I am an expert by any stretch.....

Amsteel is a great rope but if you decide to use it for a lineman's belt, especially on rough bark, I would highly recommend you sleeve it with something like New Tribe does on theirs.... that and change it out often when you see fraying. I get about 2 years max on climbing sticks before the fraying gets to a point the rope needs to be replaced. A lineman's belt will wear much faster due to all the snagging on rough bark as you move it a lot more. I have never had a problem with it on my sticks - at all. I wear out a lonewolf strap yearly as a lineman's belt. My tree tether rope made from sterling rope in 7/16 is still going strong. So to me, the weakest link (between tether, bridge, lineman's belt) is your lineman's belt as far as wear and tear - just be attentive if you go that route.

ADKMtnTrapper said:
And RED im sorry to hear about the baby not sleepin. Ill be the first to simpithize with you on that. My boy will be 3 in April and he will still get up at least 4 times a week and when he was young he would be up 5 to 6 times a night! Hang in there itll either get better or youll get used to it [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

:lol: Thanks!

Dont worry Red, years from now you will hear how you never got up in the middle of the night and helped out. :lol: Seems the more I do, the less credit I get for doing anything. :roll:

kenn1320 said:
Dont worry Red, years from now you will hear how you never got up in the middle of the night and helped out. :lol: Seems the more I do, the less credit I get for doing anything. :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Enough said right there i think!

kenn1320 said:

Couldn't be more right!

Why are you guy not just using a flip line?
http://www.bartlettman.com/58-Inch-CABL ... p_786.html

I personally like my rope b/c I have it rigged up such that I have two exactly the same - ropeman on one end and loop with carabiner on the other. Either can be used for a tether or a linesman belt. I haven't yet seen a reason to upgrade. I will use the same set up on my tree hopper belt for prepping trees too.

but I have had a flipline in my wishlist for awhile and figured if I ever wanted more than my rope, I would end up with one of these.
Then I saw the Amsteel which looked like a similar concept so I followed the thread. Looks like it has a down side. So I am back to thinking I will stick with the rope but keep the flipline in the back of my mind.

Maustypsu said:
Why are you guy not just using a flip line?
http://www.bartlettman.com/58-Inch-CABL ... p_786.html

I personally like my rope b/c I have it rigged up such that I have two exactly the same - ropeman on one end and loop with carabiner on the other. Either can be used for a tether or a linesman belt. I haven't yet seen a reason to upgrade. I will use the same set up on my tree hopper belt for prepping trees too.

but I have had a flipline in my wishlist for awhile and figured if I ever wanted more than my rope, I would end up with one of these.
Then I saw the Amsteel which looked like a similar concept so I followed the thread. Looks like it has a down side. So I am back to thinking I will stick with the rope but keep the flipline in the back of my mind.

I think the flip line in the link is over kill and added weight, wouldnt be my choice. I use a LW rope tether for my lineman. Its small diameter, limp yet easy to toss around the tree if needed, and packs up tiny. Only reason Im looking to upgrade my tether to amsteel is the 7/16 assault line is too stiff and doesnt pack as small as I would like. While I will use the LW tether as a lineman belt, I will not hang from it in tether duty. Its designed to take a short fall and probably should be thrown away if that happens. I dont believe its rated for constant load day in and day out, but I could be wrong.

Back