• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Xop platform noise

swampsnyper

Hunted from my new platform for about 4 days now. Yesterday morning I heard the firsts creak when I shifted weight from one side to another. Yesterday evening I couldn't move without it creaking! I was so frustrated I climbed down and walked all the way back to the truck to grab my Ameristep platform. Good thing I got to stand early. Can't tell if it's the seat attachment bolt or the leveling bolt. I'll have to look at it better at home when I get time. It's nice to stand on but it makes me more of a leaner than a sitter like I'm use too. Plus I feel like I have less shot area with the platform than Ameristeps. May not be the platforms fault. I'm noticing that my DIY saddle which is lined with the trampoline material is very slick and on some clothes like soft fleece, it wants to slid up on me especially when I'm twisting around to shoot behind me. Gives me less support and feels like I'm about to slide out of it. Definitely need to change that design.

I had the same problem with the mesh tree saddle, sometimes I wanted to slide out of it if I had slick clothes on.

You have nylon washers at all the contact points? I've used my platform a lot since I built it and it hasn't made a sound *knock on wood* lol.

You have nylon washers at all the contact points? I've used my platform a lot since I built it and it hasn't made a sound *knock on wood* lol.

I know I added metal washers to take up some space. Probably my problem. It didn't do it for a few hunts.

I know I added metal washers to take up some space. Probably my problem. It didn't do it for a few hunts.

Find some nylon ones to replace them. I bet that fixes your issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I switched from the mesh ambush saddle. It always seemed to bunch up or slide up.

Used my XOP this weekend for two all day sits and it started to creak bad on the second day. Haven't had time to look at it but it does have nylon washers. There is way more flex in the platform than my assassin's. Going to have to figure it out before I use it again.

I couldn't remember how I ended up finishing it off because I had it wrapped in camo form. I had tried a few things to take out flex. What I found was a few steel washers on each side. It helped with the flex but like flingin said that was my noise. Put the nylon washers that came with it back on and that solved the problem. It flexes but it's good enough. I only have a 3in 1/6 steel plate screwed on where the adjustment screw hits. Nothing inside of the 1 1/4 x 12in tube. The flexing is side to side on the platform.

Dang. I was reading this when it first posted thinking "thank goodness mine doesn't squeak". Well, guess what.... I've got little pops when I shift my weight. Luckily it sounds like two trees creaking together in the wind. Hope it doesn't get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this last night. Now I don't have a platform at this time however how many of you have filled or fortified your support bar. I wonder if have the hollow bar is the cause as it is weaker and will have more play than a solid bar or filled bar.

Most stands are hollow so I'm sure it's fine. Just need the nylon washers.

Yes your right on that. I was just thinking though because the beam is greatly reduced in length i think it might put more stress on those points such as where the platform is connected. Im definitely no engineer but am just speculating at this point. Update us once you get squared away with the washers.

Shorter the main beam the stiffer it will act actually. Been having the nylon washers on for 2 hunts. Doing good!

I don't have the washers but I put a 1.60" spacer in my main tube and use a ball plunger pin. It's looser when free, but once locked in place it hasn't made any noise yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep it definitely does happen - it is equipment with moving parts. Be sure you check and tighten nuts as needed after each hunt. Now here is what I have found that helps.

First, many that are building these platforms are not doing any prep work to the seats. Take a close look at the part of the seat that goes up against the aluminum stock. IT IS NOT FLAT folks - it is cast aluminum. You HAVE to get a file and file that down flat so there is EVEN pressure against the aluminum stock. To me this is the single biggest noise producer and most that have made these seats failed to do this as I outlined in my original mod.

Second: fill that tube to keep it from flexing at that spot and the spot where the bolt comes in contact. I personally like bondo, fiberglass resign and chopped fiberglass to do this. I have also used 2 part epoxy compound with chopped fiberglass matt. What ever you use the goal is to stop the tube flexing.

Third: use big washer and nylon washers at the connect point. Alternate them so there is not metal to metal contact.

Fourth: use silencing material where the bolt contacts the tube. I like a heavy rubber glued over the tube at this location. Something the bolt head does not easily penetrate.

Last: you have to be mindful of moving pressure from side to side. I usually try to keep most of my pressure evenly across the platform. If you have to stand on one side for a shot then realize there could be noise and try to do it before the buck is right on you or - apply pressure slowly.

even with all these you have to understand the metal contracts and expands with temps so at any point there is always a potential for a bit of noise at moving part junctions. However, I have never spooked a buck with any of my various mods and they sure as heck are quieter and more stable then the strap on steps I used for years. Even my helium sticks will sometimes make a bit of noise when I stand on them depending on how hard the bark it. The softer the bark the better they bite and thus make less noise as pressure is applied and taken off them when I stand on them to hunt.

Yep it takes a little extra effort to get these things tweaked just right but it is worth the effort.

Last edited:
Xop seats now ship with a button over the leveling screw. It should help a ton with noise. I am planning to call and see if I can get a couple extras for the seats I already have.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep it definitely does happen - it is equipment with moving parts. Be sure you check and tighten nuts as needed after each hunt. Now here is what I have found that helps.

First, many that are building these platforms are not doing any prep work to the seats. Take a close look at the part of the seat that goes up against the aluminum stock. IT IS NOT FLAT folks - it is cast aluminum. You HAVE to get a file and file that down flat so there is EVEN pressure against the aluminum stock. To me this is the single biggest noise producer and most that have made these seats failed to do this as I outlined in my original mod.

Second: fill that tube to keep it from flexing at that spot and the spot where the bolt comes in contact. I personally like bondo, fiberglass resign and chopped fiberglass to do this. I have also used 2 part epoxy compound with chopped fiberglass matt. What ever you use the goal is to stop the tube flexing.

Third: use big washer and nylon washers at the connect point. Alternate them so there is not metal to metal contact.

Fourth: use silencing material where the bolt contacts the tube. I like a heavy rubber glued over the tube at this location. Something the bolt head does not easily penetrate.

Last: you have to be mindful of moving pressure from side to side. I usually try to keep most of my pressure evenly across the platform. If you have to stand on one side for a shot then realize there could be noise and try to do it before the buck is right on you or - apply pressure slowly.

even with all these you have to understand the metal contracts and expands with temps so at any point there is always a potential for a bit of noise at moving part junctions. However, I have never spooked a buck with any of my various mods and they sure as heck are quieter and more stable then the strap on steps I used for years. Even my helium sticks will sometimes make a bit of noise when I stand on them depending on how hard the bark it. The softer the bark the better they bite and thus make less noise as pressure is applied and taken off them when I stand on them to hunt.

Yep it takes a little extra effort to get these things tweaked just right but it is worth the effort.
DaveT1963 could you elaborate on point 1? Are you talking about the seat adjustment screw for the platform angle or the seat base that mounts to the aluminum tube / ibeem?

Last edited:
Started creaking again. It's been in back my truck on dirt roads. I think that's the problem. Cleaned it off and quiet again.

DaveT1963 could you elaborate on point 1? Are you talking about the seat adjustment screw for the platform angle or the seat base that mounts to the aluminum tube / ibeem?

Not to speak for Dave, but its hunting season and he is in a tree. Dont want you waiting, so ill give your question a shot. Remove your seat from the post. He is talking about the surface on inside of each "ear" of the mounting tabs. The portion the nylon washer touches.

Back