• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JX3 sticks

Looks like a more compact version of the rapid rails, less steps each, or different stacking config, or all the above.

Just ordered a set of 4 with one having the platform thing on it.

I hate sticks. All of em. But the hybrid hasn’t done me wrong. Gonna give em a try.

They are different enough from everything else they can’t suck the same way at least!

I ordered one with the wide top. I plan on trying to 1 stick with it out of my Hybrid. I just got a message yesterday it has been shipped. Pretty pumped to try it out1

yeah I remember those, they sold them with their backcountry kit. I kind of forgot all about x-stand honestly....I could never get by those huge cables sticking up everywhere. but the x-1 mini was always intriguing otherwise.

I have the X-1 Mini! Its a great climber as that is as light as advertised. Just a little bulky.

Not sure I could go with other sticks then the original beast sticks with my JX3. They pack so well with the JX3 it is like they were made for them. Pair them with a ring of steps and its perfect.

I ordered one with the wide top. I plan on trying to 1 stick with it out of my Hybrid. I just got a message yesterday it has been shipped. Pretty pumped to try it out1
Is this a custom order, or can just one stick be purchased off the website?

I have an email out to them about the cleat to see if it’s the same one that broke in the YouTube video.

This is a different brand stick, modified by the user to a type of rope connection that’s not on the JX3 sticks. Not sure why you’d email JX3 to ask that.

You can buy one stick from them. If the option isn’t showing up for you, call or email them.

Last edited:
I’ve toyed around with my set at the house. First impressions are that they don’t make me want to suddenly start using sticks on the regular. But if I was a bigger fella, I wouldn’t think twice, these would be my sticks of choice.

The platform set up really is simple and does what a ring of steps does for the most part. I think with practice for me, who’s very used to squirrel steps, it could replace a ROS with the hybrid.

They best good, the connection is simple and fast, and the corrugated tubing is stout.

Not sure why you’d email JX3 to ask that.
I emailed them because I wanted to make sure it wasn’t the same cleat. No model for the cleat was listed on the site, so I wanted to verify it wasn’t.

@enkriss thanks for that, gives me some peace of mind!

Talked to john the other day. Sold out of the sticks pretty quickly. I’m not surprised.

I still hate sticks.

But, I’ve used the JX3 sticks on several hunts. I hate the same things about these sticks as I do any others. Packing them in and out, unpacking them at tree, and packing them up at end of hunt.

Having said that, my exact quote to john is “they are exactly what you were going for.”

They’re light for how robust they are. Will work really well for big fellas. Who shouldn’t be ounce counting on sticks anyways. Think rapid rails not 40” long.

Can easily stand with two feet on top steps in lots of different patterns with your feet. Point out in sideways whatever. Yes, only one foot on bottom step, but nothing to move to choose, and either foot works.

Attachment method can be done without looking. Simple fast and quiet. This “cleats” generally. But this one in particular is fast and simple and located in a way that makes it ergonomic.

I’ve only hung them on a half dozen trees. But they set easily, and don’t move once set. A stick is a stick in this regard to me.

If aiders are your thing, you’ll have no shortage of options to attach aiders that stay open and away from the tree.

Top stick wing works great as a platform. It may actually move me off of squirrel steps even when I’m not using all the sticks to climb. Taking a leak much easier off this thing than the SS. And I can still do everything I need to do up there without steps on back of tree.

My hybrid is heavily modified so they don’t stack and hang like they’re supposed to on it. But they pack like any other fixed standoff and step stick. They’re bulky, like any other fixed standoff and step stick. I would imagine if you’re a normal person with a normal hybrid, this will improve with the intended design.

They’re as loud as any other stick because they’re made of metal. Easy to keep tight packing. But the same thing I hate about all other sticks - packing and unpacking, is where noise potential lies. Tape em or stealth strip em and should be fine. I’m just being careful for now.

There’s nothing to break really. They’re just tubing with a bolted on cleat. I guess you could break the cleat throwing them in a truck or something. But otherwise, they’re a lifetime item.

Ropes are fine. I’m sure you can save an ounce or two with amsteel. You’d have to play with the diameter and cleat and buries and figure out right stuff. I wouldn’t it’s not worth it.

There are lighter and more compact sticks. If I weighed 240+lbs, I wouldn’t want lighter or more compact sticks. Or if I walked less than half a mile on most hunts, I wouldn’t value lighter or more compact sticks.

That’s where these will live for me. Close to access hunts, or hunts with someone else. Or where someone might hunt my set. I know I can rely on them to be solid and easy to climb and trust them for someone else not having to think or execute tightly.

64957587-E366-4CBE-98BD-28E9CB8A7CC9.jpeg

Knew I needed a little extra height in this tree based on looking from a distance. Brought a climb paw with an aider on it. Put me about 18-19’ to the top step. Could’ve pushed to 20-21’ with my height. But this was the exact spot to be on tree. No issue hanging them and climbing on a smooth hard bark tree that twisted and leaned.

I have to say, I shied away from sticks for the longest time after having used the first models of the API ones. But, these are sweet. I built a 3 step aider to use it for one sticking and a platform. It's an amazingly light one stick with built in 6"x19" platform. The Zig Zag cleat is extremely fast to operate with no moving parts. I don't see why this hasn't gotten more attention from one stickers, especially at the price point. Heck, you could almost turn it into a pack frame with some tinkering.

Screenshot_20231229_110844_Gallery.jpg

I emailed JX3 a while ago asking if they were gonna have a Christmas sale or anything. I ended up buying a used jx3. I think @kyler1945 talked me into at least one stick with the top rail. But I have been waiting to see if any sales come up. They kinda hinted like they might have a sale but didn't officially say it. But I haven't seen anything yet. Not that $100 is a bad price for a step and platform. Just figured it would go on sale as soon as I purchased something.

I have to say, I shied away from sticks for the longest time after having used the first models of the API ones. But, these are sweet. I built a 3 step aider to use it for one sticking and a platform. It's an amazingly light one stick with built in 6"x19" platform. The Zig Zag cleat is extremely fast to operate with no moving parts. I don't see why this hasn't gotten more attention from one stickers, especially at the price point. Heck, you could almost turn it into a pack frame with some tinkering.

View attachment 97513
Agreed.

I also wonder if soft saddle users might find similar in-tree performance enhancement from the wide top platform. It's like a 1-stick, a platform, and a ROS has a baby...which doesn't really make any sense I suppose.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

View attachment 97513

Everything john makes, if you give it a few minutes and a few tries, makes you feel silly for not having tried it sooner.

The man just gets deer hunting.

On the pack frame idea - I use one stick(I don’t climb one stick but that stick is my platform). I flip the stick backwards with the platform on the bottom facing out. I strap all my crap on it, and use the rope to loop around load lifters securing the top(bottom)of the stick and load. Then I use marine grade shock cord in a loop to secure the platform to the ears on the bottom of the molle frame.

It stands up on its own. Which is awesome.

You’re right - if you’re really short it would make a frame. Maybe he can make a special edition 1 stick that’s 26” long that can be a frame pack too!

Back